2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Group Coding Session - F1x series - FREE !

01-14-2015, 03:00 AM   #67
vladman
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

I'd like to say thanks to AP who graciously pulled out to free up a space and time for the rest of us, extremely kind!

Gspannu, I tried to attach a screenshot of the location I get when using the postcode you gave. Does that look right? I'm asking as when I use StreetView, all I see there are some residential blocks, and no Coop, or Costa Coffee... Could be the imagery is old though, but I'm just asking to confirm.

Many thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:59 AM   #68
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladman View Post
I'd like to say thanks to AP who graciously pulled out to free up a space and time for the rest of us, extremely kind!

Gspannu, I tried to attach a screenshot of the location I get when using the postcode you gave. Does that look right? I'm asking as when I use StreetView, all I see there are some residential blocks, and no Coop, or Costa Coffee... Could be the imagery is old though, but I'm just asking to confirm.

Many thanks!
You are correct and the map position is fine too.

Google maps (& others) have older data, hence does not appear on streetview, etc...
      01-14-2015, 05:04 AM   #69
izozzy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

are we still looking at a 9am start?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 05:10 AM   #70
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Updated first post with a directions/ location map.

9 am start is fine; unless someone specifically wants to come in earlier.
      01-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #71
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

gspannu - My car has arrived at the dealer! So if it's still ok, i'll probably still make it on Sunday. If so ill do my list of things later.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #72
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
gspannu - My car has arrived at the dealer! So if it's still ok, i'll probably still make it on Sunday. If so ill do my list of things later.

Congratulations

... see you on Sun.
      01-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #73
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 520d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu
Compiling the list of attendees for the Sun Group Coding Session (in plain alphabetical order)

Confirmed attendees:
  1. izozzy
  2. jakartakid
  3. lakshmi
  4. niggle
  5. njc
  6. ob2ob2
  7. psyxologos
  8. simo_uk
  9. stormforce8
  10. vladman
  11. youknowluke
Can all attendees check and see if there name is listed?
- Apologies in advance If I have missed anyone. Can you please post in the thread and let me know?

Others
  • 325_bucks: may attend; depending if car arrives in time
  • AP: pulled out of the event as courtesy to other members

The location has also been updated in the first post.
Any queries,, please feel free to post here?
I'm afraid I also now have to pull out, as this morning I received an invitation to a job interview in Dubai. I depart Friday night and don't return until Sunday Evening. I hope the coding session is a great success for you all. As much as I would love to attend, my wife assures me that the interview is far more important. 😢
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #74
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong.
On pre-LCI Non-xenon headlights, default values for DRL are already set to 100%.

Are they different on xenon cars if people are wishing to increase the brightness?
My car is a Pre LCI 2011 F10, the angel eyes are dim as anything during the day on sidelights which you would expect really with sidelights as they aren't meant for the day hence DRL, surely when they are set DRL and at 100% they are exactly the same as a BMW with the Xenon package or close, the plan is to get a HID kit or CREE led kit retrofitted within the month.

Also is there anyway to turn the sensitivity down for the auto lights as they barely go off when on auto.

So if I set the lights at 0 on the dial, after the coding will the DRL still be active that's what I'm hoping?

Also is there anyway to code a memory function for the auto hold so I don't have to press it everytime I get in the car?

I have professional media just to add so could you code the Enhanced bluetooth function as I have a works and private phone so having them both connected at the same time would save me the hassle of constantly switching and reloading the phone book.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 02:47 PM   #75
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke View Post
My car is a Pre LCI 2011 F10, the angel eyes are dim as anything during the day on sidelights which you would expect really with sidelights as they aren't meant for the day hence DRL, surely when they are set DRL and at 100% they are exactly the same as a BMW with the Xenon package or close, the plan is to get a HID kit or CREE led kit retrofitted within the month.

Also is there anyway to turn the sensitivity down for the auto lights as they barely go off when on auto.

So if I set the lights at 0 on the dial, after the coding will the DRL still be active that's what I'm hoping?

Also is there anyway to code a memory function for the auto hold so I don't have to press it everytime I get in the car?

I have professional media just to add so could you code the Enhanced bluetooth function as I have a works and private phone so having them both connected at the same time would save me the hassle of constantly switching and reloading the phone book.
When I was looking for F10, I could not find much information on angel eye lights.

Apparently, halo headlights have less powerful leds compared to xenon headlights. They have brighter halo rings with dedicated led under each ring.

When I checked LED coding for halo ring, it was already on 100% and it was not bright as you said. Xenon lights may have different coding but again I have not looked in to that. But xenon headlights have brighter halo rings to match xenons. Also, if you look at headlights with xenon, they have two led markers at the bottom of headlight and heat sinks are prominent.
Now if you compare that to standard headlight, they do not have those two led heat sinks underneath. Which gives me impression that xenon headlights have better LEDs with heat sinks whereas halogen headlights have less brighter halo rings.

I have looked into splitting the headlight and have rings fitted. There is not much information on the internet and a guy in states has done it. But not well documented.

I have also looked into retrofitting xenon headlights but they are expensive to source. I may simply change it to LCI at some point to have xenon as standard.

It will be very disappointing for you to know that you cannot have Cree lights on these. They do not have H8 bulbs and I cannot find any info. BMW manual suggest to take the car to bmw if leds stop working. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I remember that there is sensitivity settings but I have not played with it. I will leave OP to comment on it.

Once you code Halo rings to work as DRL, they will be ON at zero. However you can control them from idrive and turn them off at zero position. That is how I have coded them and they work brilliantly (though not as bright as any 3/4 series).

If you have 2011 car, then you cannot have enhanced BT. You have combox. Enhanced BT function is dedicated for NBT only.
You can add both phone with combox but only one will be active at a time.

Sorry OP, but I feel rude not to respond.
      01-14-2015, 03:28 PM   #76
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Automatic

Quote:
When I was looking for F10, I could not find much information on angel eye lights.

Apparently, halo headlights have less powerful leds compared to xenon headlights. They have brighter halo rings with dedicated led under each ring.

When I checked LED coding for halo ring, it was already on 100% and it was not bright as you said. Xenon lights may have different coding but again I have not looked in to that. But xenon headlights have brighter halo rings to match xenons. Also, if you look at headlights with xenon, they have two led markers at the bottom of headlight and heat sinks are prominent.
Now if you compare that to standard headlight, they do not have those two led heat sinks underneath. Which gives me impression that xenon headlights have better LEDs with heat sinks whereas halogen headlights have less brighter halo rings.

I have looked into splitting the headlight and have rings fitted. There is not much information on the internet and a guy in states has done it. But not well documented.

I have also looked into retrofitting xenon headlights but they are expensive to source. I may simply change it to LCI at some point to have xenon as standard.

It will be very disappointing for you to know that you cannot have Cree lights on these. They do not have H8 bulbs and I cannot find any info. BMW manual suggest to take the car to bmw if leds stop working. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I remember that there is sensitivity settings but I have not played with it. I will leave OP to comment on it.

Once you code Halo rings to work as DRL, they will be ON at zero. However you can control them from idrive and turn them off at zero position. That is how I have coded them and they work brilliantly (though not as bright as any 3/4 series).

If you have 2011 car, then you cannot have enhanced BT. You have combox. Enhanced BT function is dedicated for NBT only.

No that makes alot of sense, one of my main reasons for attending this was to have DVD in motion set and any other way of playing video files set. But also was this angel eye frustration, could you do me a favour and post a picture of your car tomorrow with the headlight on 0 in normal daylight so I can see if this is a worthwhile mod because I'm travelling very far to come this weekend which isn't an issue but I don't wanna waste mine or anyone else's time if you see what I mean.

So to summarise can you please post a picture or multiple pictures of the halo headlights in DRL mode as there is like 1 picture of this on the net and its from side on at night you can see a difference but its stupid the way the photo was took.

Theres a guy at a BMW place in gloucester who said if I pay him £400 he will fit new high power LEDs to the headlight and marker (where the yellow lights should be that xenons have), he thinks he can code in such a way that he can utilize the power source from the full beam for both LEDs fool the headlight into thinking its Xenon and then fit Xenon bulbs ballasts etc. To be honest I don't want to do this because its a massive gamble... he says hes gonna send me proof of a F10 hes done this on and if he does I will post and probably have it done. It will be an easy tell because on the photo the indicators are all different from the halo for the LCI and the Pre LCI xenon which is just LEDs so he won't fool me!!!

In answer to the CREE led thing I was referring to these new CREE led h7 headlight kits that come with heat sinks the works and as they are LEDs they just draw current like traditional halogens and light up nothing as complicated as HID kits, after seeing all the HID kit stories and flickering issue I might opt for this kit as the seller is promising that it works and its an LED its either on or off nothing as complicated as Xenons so I'm hoping if its 30w the draw should be enough to fool the LCU into thinking its got a halo bulb but again its finding someone who will fit the kit and do a proper job as I'm to impatient to do it myself and I don't wanna f*** anything up... These CREE kits are 6000k as they're LEDs and not as bright as Bi-Xenon but much brighter than Halos and you get a nice crisp white look.
Any thoughts on this? as I'm trying to find someone to fit it then its gonna happen and ill post the result.

See the LED kit here on eBay :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141441234649
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #77
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
No that makes alot of sense, one of my main reasons for attending this was to have DVD in motion set and any other way of playing video files set. But also was this angel eye frustration, could you do me a favour and post a picture of your car tomorrow with the headlight on 0 in normal daylight so I can see if this is a worthwhile mod because I'm travelling very far to come this weekend which isn't an issue but I don't wanna waste mine or anyone else's time if you see what I mean.
So to summarise can you please post a picture or multiple pictures of the halo headlights in DRL mode as there is like 1 picture of this on the net and its from side on at night you can see a difference but its stupid the way the photo was took.
No promises but will try. Car is super dirty and had my eibach pro springs fitted today.

Quote:
Theres a guy at a BMW place in gloucester who said if I pay him £400 he will fit new high power LEDs to the headlight and marker (where the yellow lights should be that xenons have), he thinks he can code in such a way that he can utilize the power source from the full beam for both LEDs fool the headlight into thinking its Xenon and then fit Xenon bulbs ballasts etc. To be honest I don't want to do this because its a massive gamble... he says hes gonna send me proof of a F10 hes done this on and if he does I will post and probably have it done. It will be an easy tell because on the photo the indicators are all different from the halo for the LCI and the Pre LCI xenon which is just LEDs so he won't fool me!!!
I see what you are saying. You stated that we code the car to fool that it has xenon kit. By doing that it will increase the voltage going to halo rings and they will be brighter.

Its excellent idea however following flaws;
1- There is physical difference b/w halo rings of xenon cars and non-xenon.
So simply by increasing voltage going to it (via xenon coding), it is not going to make massive difference.
2- If xenon headlights have bi-xenon, then your high beam H7 will have different PMW, and that may not work properly. Again, it require some work.

If I get time in the future, I may experiment. But I have no high hopes considering point 1.

Quote:
In answer to the CREE led thing I was referring to these new CREE led h7 headlight kits that come with heat sinks the works and as they are LEDs they just draw current like traditional halogens and light up nothing as complicated as HID kits, after seeing all the HID kit stories and flickering issue I might opt for this kit as the seller is promising that it works and its an LED its either on or off nothing as complicated as Xenons so I'm hoping if its 30w the draw should be enough to fool the LCU into thinking its got a halo bulb but again its finding someone who will fit the kit and do a proper job as I'm to impatient to do it myself and I don't wanna f*** anything up... These CREE kits are 6000k as they're LEDs and not as bright as Bi-Xenon but much brighter than Halos and you get a nice crisp white look.
Any thoughts on this? as I'm trying to find someone to fit it then its gonna happen and ill post the result.

See the LED kit here on eBay :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141441234649
I think you can try this. You get 14 days return policy and you can return them if you do not like them.
At least that will resolve your headlight issue. But it may not be as bright as HID / xenons.

Edited:
Here is some feedback on these LEDs H7
http://www.monsterlights.com.au/mons...ht_testing.htm
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...eadlights.html
http://www.arrse.co.uk/community/thr...-bulbs.189200/

So, answers is 'NO'!

Edit version 2: Low beam is very poor!

I would suggest you to continue this discussion on your other thread as we are hijacking OP's thread and I feel bit of guilty.

Last edited by makkan00; 01-14-2015 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:14 PM   #78
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for responding; that's what is great about these forums. Great knowledge sharing.

You are correct about how the DRL's work after coding. Also, the sensitivity for Auto Headlights can be set to 3 or 4 different settings. I have mine set to least sensitive, and it works about OK.
      01-14-2015, 04:15 PM   #79
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc View Post
I'm afraid I also now have to pull out, as this morning I received an invitation to a job interview in Dubai. I depart Friday night and don't return until Sunday Evening. I hope the coding session is a great success for you all. As much as I would love to attend, my wife assures me that the interview is far more important. 😢
Best wishes for your interview, hope it all goes well.
      01-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #80
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Compiling the list of attendees for the Sun Group Coding Session (in plain alphabetical order)

Confirmed attendees:
  1. izozzy
  2. jakartakid
  3. lakshmi
  4. niggle
  5. njc
  6. ob2ob2
  7. psyxologos
  8. simo_uk
  9. stormforce8
  10. vladman
  11. youknowluke
Can all attendees check and see if there name is listed?
- Apologies in advance If I have missed anyone. Can you please post in the thread and let me know?

Others
  • 325_bucks: may attend; depending if car arrives in time
  • AP: pulled out of the event as courtesy to other members

The location has also been updated in the first post.
Any queries,, please feel free to post here?
I am not 100% certain I can make it yet. It depends on the work rota for the weekend, which will be finalized on Thursday. I will confirm here ASAP...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 02:39 AM   #81
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Updated first post #1 with attendees list.

Will keep the first post updated as more confirmations/information comes in.
      01-15-2015, 03:16 AM   #82
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Hi gspannu - Car scheduled for pick up on Saturday morning so as it stands I'm coming. Here's the list as requested:

Member: 325_bucks
Car: 520d LCI 2015 Model

Sorry quite a list!:

-Auto Start Stop Memory
-Comfort Closing Mirrors
-Comfort Opening Windows
-Radio Off on Door Open
-Welcome Lights TimeOut
-Video in Motion
-Navigation Route Preview
-Navigation Route Magnet
-Navigation Auto Zoom
-Rain Sensor Sensitivity Increase (my current BMW is terrible at sensing light drizzle etc, apparently its possible to increase it?)
-Phone Ringtone
-Splash Screen (Possibly change the variant of the splash for the iDrive to the M one, or the Connected Drive one)
-Reverse left mirror dip (can this be enabled and disabled with the mirror switch as in my old E92?)
-Speed display in centre (can this be hidden when not wanted?)
-Extended Bluetooth
-Angel Eyes 100%
-Tyre Temp Monitor
-Launch control features
-Fuel refill points along the route
-Unlock doors when engine switched off
-Videos all codecs
-internet in motion
-Fold Mirror on lock

Also I presume my maps will already be the latest?

Thanks very much for your help
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 04:02 AM   #83
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Hi gspannu - Car scheduled for pick up on Saturday morning so as it stands I'm coming. Here's the list as requested:

Member: 325_bucks
Car: 520d LCI 2015 Model

Sorry quite a list!:

-Auto Start Stop Memory
-Comfort Closing Mirrors
-Comfort Opening Windows
-Radio Off on Door Open
-Welcome Lights TimeOut
-Video in Motion
-Navigation Route Preview
-Navigation Route Magnet
-Navigation Auto Zoom
-Rain Sensor Sensitivity Increase (my current BMW is terrible at sensing light drizzle etc, apparently its possible to increase it?)
-Phone Ringtone
-Splash Screen (Possibly change the variant of the splash for the iDrive to the M one, or the Connected Drive one)
-Reverse left mirror dip (can this be enabled and disabled with the mirror switch as in my old E92?)
-Speed display in centre (can this be hidden when not wanted?)
-Extended Bluetooth
-Angel Eyes 100%
-Tyre Temp Monitor
-Launch control features
-Fuel refill points along the route
-Unlock doors when engine switched off
-Videos all codecs
-internet in motion
-Fold Mirror on lock

Also I presume my maps will already be the latest?

Thanks very much for your help
Great, amended post #1 to confirm your attendance.

Most things you have written are possible - details on the day.
      01-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #84
Simo_UK
Rep
Drives: 520d MSport 2013

Excellent, thanks again for arranging this.

I'm definitely there. Looking to arrive around midday if that works.

I have a 2013, LCI with Pro nav (inc touch iDrive) - which version of the maps do I need? (noob question I know!)

To confirm, the few codes I'd like adding are

- Enhanced BT
- Internet Apps
- Updated maps
- Start/stop memory
- Internet in motion
- DVD in motion
- All video codecs
- Radio off on door open

Cheers!

Simo!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #85
jakartakid
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport AW/Cinnamon

Simon, best have a look in your sat nav, if you go to settings in the nav menu your current version of maps will be there. Will possibly be 2013-1 Next. If you have the 'next' version I have 2015-1 next on a flash drive if you haven't downloaded them by Sunday, you can borrow it by all means. I should be there by midday all being well after my 3 1/2hrs drive from Merseyside.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #86
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo_UK View Post
Excellent, thanks again for arranging this.

I'm definitely there. Looking to arrive around midday if that works.

I have a 2013, LCI with Pro nav (inc touch iDrive) - which version of the maps do I need? (noob question I know!)

To confirm, the few codes I'd like adding are

- Enhanced BT
- Internet Apps
- Updated maps
- Start/stop memory
- Internet in motion
- DVD in motion
- All video codecs
- Radio off on door open

Cheers!

Simo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakartakid View Post
Simon, best have a look in your sat nav, if you go to settings in the nav menu your current version of maps will be there. Will possibly be 2013-1 Next. If you have the 'next' version I have 2015-1 next on a flash drive if you haven't downloaded them by Sunday, you can borrow it by all means. I should be there by midday all being well after my 3 1/2hrs drive from Merseyside.
Thanks, Jakartakid.

Next 2015-1 maps will be suitable for your car.
      01-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #87
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

I am sorry to say I will miss this. Murphy's law. I am on call... Sorry guys and enjoy the day. Gspannu well done on your kind offer!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:06 AM   #88
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyxologos View Post
I am sorry to say I will miss this. Murphy's law. I am on call... Sorry guys and enjoy the day. Gspannu well done on your kind offer!
No worries... maybe next time.

#1 updated accordingly and a new member dreadlocks confirmed attendance..