2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Office functions in Combox?

06-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #23
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarrett View Post
I took delivery of a Space grey 2011 535i a couple of weeks ago. Had all sorts of issues getting BMW Assist and Office working with a Blackberry 9800.

First, it turns out that using the same email address to log on www.bmwusa.com and BMW Assist causes messages from BMW Assist to not work. I found this out while trying to get both test text messages from BMW Assist and Google Maps to work. Changed my BMW Assist email and got it working instantly.

Second, I did not have to load any software to get the Blackberry Torch to work. The hint I got was my wife's LG phone loaded contacts, messages and contacts when paired but my Blackberry would only pair as a telephone but not connect to the Office functions.

Had to go into "Manage Connections" and "Blue Tooth Connections". Then press "menu" hard key "Options" and set "Contact Transfer" to "ALL" then it worked.
Don't forget to go to your Blackberry Apps and download the Calender function software. (Just look up BMW, it is the Avanquest app for $15) Works great and other than an initial sync that may take 5 minutes or longer, well worth the price if you want to see what's on your calendar, or tasks for the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 03:53 PM   #24
wbarrett
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

OK, ghueser ... I loaded the suggested Avanquest app but cannot see anything in the car's calendar. The Blackberry data seems to load... the Calendar sync software indicates a sync time for tasks and calednar entries... but no appointments show up in the car.

Any hints? I'd sure hate to have dropped $15 for a non-functioning app.

Bill
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 04:06 AM   #25
BestManWins
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: G30 530i Msports

Yes ghueser, I have downloaded the Bluetooth CalendarSync App. The appointments and tasks do sync well. The appointments' time is however wrong. The time shown is -8.00 hours whereas in Singapore, it is GMT +8.00 hours - the BB Torch's clock is correct though.

I have written a support ticket to Avanquest and hope to hear from them soon.

Thanks loads for all the good help rendered. Cheers
      06-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #26
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarrett View Post
OK, ghueser ... I loaded the suggested Avanquest app but cannot see anything in the car's calendar. The Blackberry data seems to load... the Calendar sync software indicates a sync time for tasks and calednar entries... but no appointments show up in the car.

Any hints? I'd sure hate to have dropped $15 for a non-functioning app.

Bill
Bill, I'm not sure why you wouldn't see a calendar appointment. If you don't have anything for today, make up something and put it in your schedule. When you then go out to the car, either say "calendar" (which works for me) or go to Menu / Office on your I-Drive. I have to note that when I do this via the I-Drive, and i press for "office"......my contacts list always shows up. What I then have to do is to push the knob to the left, and then the full Office Menu shows up. You can then scroll to Calendar or Tasks, which if you have any for the the day....should show, once you hit that particular function.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #27
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestManWins View Post
Yes ghueser, I have downloaded the Bluetooth CalendarSync App. The appointments and tasks do sync well. The appointments' time is however wrong. The time shown is -8.00 hours whereas in Singapore, it is GMT +8.00 hours - the BB Torch's clock is correct though.

I have written a support ticket to Avanquest and hope to hear from them soon.

Thanks loads for all the good help rendered. Cheers
Check your clock (Time Zone) again on your Blackberry. I had the same issue and then discovered that although my clock was correct on my BB......I still had the incorrect zone put in that would not give me the coorect time on my car. I know this sounds weird..............but experiment with the BB...........I would bet anything that is the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #28
caribz
Rep

Bestman, sorry I didn't answer before. I did see the Office before I bought the software. With the software I'm able to get e-mails, SMS an see my calendar.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #29
wbarrett
Rep

Thanks. Still troubleshooting.

Got rid of all appointments past 2012. That didn't work. That left me with 482 appointments.

Removed the calendar DB off the Blackberry and created 2 tasks and 2 appointments. That worked. So that told me it was possible to make work.

Reloaded my real calendar but only loaded appointments 30 days in past and 60 days in future thinking I was hitting some limit like it only works with 256 or fewer entries. This represented 96 appointments. Didn't work again.

Couple of questions for those that have it working:

1. How many calendar entries are you being successful with? Go to Calendar .... BB menu hard key... Options.... "account name" Number of Entries: ?? Mine shows 96 here

2. I have quite a few recurring appointments throughout the week and go out for a year. Are you able to sync recurring appointments?

3. Are you able to sync with "All Day" events like holidays?

Bill

Last edited by wbarrett; 06-09-2011 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #30
caribz
Rep

Bestman, you have to correct the timezone in your car and in your Blackberry. Do not asume that if the time is corect in your car and in your blackberry your timezone has been coorrectly programmed. It happened to me and I found out before Avanquest answered the service ticket. Since then....everything has worked smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #31
BestManWins
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: G30 530i Msports

Thank you so much caribz and ghueser, the Time Zone option wasn't in my ride previously and I missed that totally.
Name:  IMG-20110610-00054.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  68.8 KB
Now everything is fine.

Cheers
      06-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #32
wbarrett
Rep

Be aware that if you do buy the Bluetooth Calendar Sync from Avanquest, there is absolutely no support for USA customers. None. You get directed to a website that does not even list the product. If you email them they give you a 818 number to call. No one at the 818 number even knows the product exists.

I can get tasks to work but even after getting my calendar down to one and only one calendar entry, I get no display on my 535i screen even after waiting an hour. The one task I put in showed up almost immediately so I know the car and Blackberry are communicating. All messages and contacts still show up fine.

This seems to be a real hit or miss on working. It is great that many of you can make it work... but if it does not work you own a $15 piece of non-working software that Avanquest does not support.
Appreciate 0