2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Found Faults present on DME, Misfire Faults Cyl 2 - Cyl 3 ...

05-07-2019, 09:46 PM   #1
jasonbourne60
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i xDrive

Found Faults present on DME, Misfire Faults Cyl 2 - Cyl 3 ...

Hello all -
I have a 2013 BMW 528 xdrive....I am not really handy with cars...( don't know anything other than fill the gas)
I recently noticed that my car would vibrate and engine made funny sound idling...I have only 85K miles on it...Took it to dealer ...Here is what he says :
see attachment...
They took the car for drive and while accelarating they felt hesiytation and "Drivetrain malfunction light came on"
Basically he says :
"...Found Faults present on DME, Misfire Faults Cyl 2 - Cyl 3 Fuel Injection is switched off
Ran test Plan Misfire Detection, A leak was detected in High Pressure Fuel System, Needs Injectors and renew Spark Plugs, Removed Spark Plugs,Found wet on bottom"

They recommended changing fuel injectors and renew spark plugs and both front axle boots...

I have no idea what all this means...their estimate is around 6K
This is crazy...Only 85K brand new single owner car, no issues and maintained all along.

What should I do?

Is it safe to drive for a few weeks? I am thinking of trading it in and buying a new car.
Please help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 10:44 PM   #2
550bye
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne60 View Post
Hello all -
I have a 2013 BMW 528 xdrive....I am not really handy with cars...( don't know anything other than fill the gas)
I recently noticed that my car would vibrate and engine made funny sound idling...I have only 85K miles on it...Took it to dealer ...Here is what he says :
see attachment...
They took the car for drive and while accelarating they felt hesiytation and "Drivetrain malfunction light came on"
Basically he says :
"...Found Faults present on DME, Misfire Faults Cyl 2 - Cyl 3 Fuel Injection is switched off
Ran test Plan Misfire Detection, A leak was detected in High Pressure Fuel System, Needs Injectors and renew Spark Plugs, Removed Spark Plugs,Found wet on bottom"

They recommended changing fuel injectors and renew spark plugs and both front axle boots...

I have no idea what all this means...their estimate is around 6K
This is crazy...Only 85K brand new single owner car, no issues and maintained all along.

What should I do?

Is it safe to drive for a few weeks? I am thinking of trading it in and buying a new car.
Please help
Hesitation usually has something to do with spark or fuel. Basically your "computer" understands that something in the drivetrain is not operating correctly. Most of the time the faults do not identify exactly what is wrong, but a wide variety of things that could be wrong. Typically injectors fail after 80k miles so that is about on point to your mileage.

Cyl 2 - Cyl 3 means that your motor either has an issue with your spark plugs, coils or fuel injectors or HPFP in those cylinders. When the tech troubleshot the fault(s) he could see that injector(s) were bad. If the injectors are a certain index (model) they must all be replaced to match on that side of the motor (bank).

Typically when an injector goes bad the spark plug will go bad as well. When the plug is soaked or wet the injector has either sprayed to much fuel or is leaking fuel in that cylinder. From what I understand the plugs must be changed anytime you change injectors.

You may be able to drive for a short amount of time before you have to change them, however, you may experience rough idle, loss of power, misfiring, Check Engine Light and limp mode (undriveable). You could cause more damage, I would say to replace ASAP. If the cost is too much, ask an Indy shop if they can replace injectors and program them, if they can't then find someone local that can to save money. Hope that helps you.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
burro_blasta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 M Sport

Front axle boots also aren't unreasonable at that mileage. A couple used cars I looked at around 70k miles had a torn boot or two.

My independent mechanic was able to replace one for $450. Another mechanic had quoted $3,000...mayve that $6k estimate from.the dealer is mostly the cost of the axle boots and you can find a local independent that can do it a ton cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 05:49 AM   #4
jasonbourne60
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 528i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by burro_blasta View Post
Front axle boots also aren't unreasonable at that mileage. A couple used cars I looked at around 70k miles had a torn boot or two.

My independent mechanic was able to replace one for $450. Another mechanic had quoted $3,000...mayve that $6k estimate from.the dealer is mostly the cost of the axle boots and you can find a local independent that can do it a ton cheaper.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0