2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Am I right?

09-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
phoenix1981
Rep
Drives: Golf V GT Sport

Am I right?

Dear friends,

Am I right in believing that on a 528i (European, Belgium) WITHOUT Dynamic Damping Control the toggle buttons will still be next to the automatic gearbox, allowing one to select between Normal, Sport and Sport+?

I am asking because I am thinking of ordering my 528i with an M-Sport suspension (which precludes Dynamic Damping Control), yet I would still like to be able to adjust chassis and drivetrain. Will that be possible without Dynamic Damping Control?

Thank you!

P.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 03:56 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix1981 View Post
Am I right in believing that on a 528i (European, Belgium) WITHOUT Dynamic Damping Control the toggle buttons will still be next to the automatic gearbox, allowing one to select between Normal, Sport and Sport+?

I am asking because I am thinking of ordering my 528i with an M-Sport suspension (which precludes Dynamic Damping Control), yet I would still like to be able to adjust chassis and drivetrain. Will that be possible without Dynamic Damping Control?
To get DDC you will need one of the options that requires it, 2TB, 2VH, 223 or 2VA. For example, if you have the sport auto (2TB) you will get DDC.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix1981 View Post
But those settings without DDC would not alter the suspension; it would only change the steering and transmission response.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Btw, reference to DDC is to the toggle button ie dynamic driving control and not your use of the term dynamic damping control or known as VDC.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

A very common dilemma and a lot of discussion has taken place already on Adaptive drive vs M Suspension. As stated above with the M Sport Suspension the toggle button will only alter steering response and gear shift change patterns. For any alteration of the drivetrain/dampers you have to include adaptive drive/VDC.

A big problem for all of us is that we cannot test drive a car with the M Sport Suspension, and so people like me and other members have literally taken a gamble and ordered the M Sport suspension on the likelihood of it being a pleasant drive!

If you want a lowered, sharp, responsive ride then the M Sport suspension is the one to go for. When my F10 arrives it will be 4th BMW with a M Suspension and I have no regrets at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRX View Post
A very common dilemma and a lot of discussion has taken place already on Adaptive drive vs M Suspension. As stated above with the M Sport Suspension the toggle button will only alter steering response and gear shift change patterns. For any alteration of the drivetrain/dampers you have to include adaptive drive/VDC.

A big problem for all of us is that we cannot test drive a car with the M Sport Suspension, and so people like me and other members have literally taken a gamble and ordered the M Sport suspension on the likelihood of it being a pleasant drive!

If you want a lowered, sharp, responsive ride then the M Sport suspension is the one to go for. When my F10 arrives it will be 4th BMW with a M Suspension and I have no regrets at all.

As discussed in a couple of other threads, ordering variable damper control/adaptive drive will also lower the car by 10 mm just as the M sport suspension.
      09-17-2010, 04:42 AM   #7
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorban View Post
As discussed in a couple of other threads, ordering variable damper control/adaptive drive will also lower the car by 10 mm just as the M sport suspension.
Not with the demo 530d at my dealer's: Mine stands 1cm lower...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 05:10 AM   #8
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Not with the demo 530d at my dealer's: Mine stands 1cm lower...
That's strange. I think we saw some official BMW documents about the 10 mm lowering with with VDC in another thread. I will have to search for that.
      09-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorban View Post
That's strange. I think we saw some official BMW documents about the 10 mm lowering with with VDC in another thread. I will have to search for that.
Yes was part of the BMW press release.

THE NEW 6th GENERATION BMW 5 SERIES UNVEILED IN MUNICH (United States Version)

Quote:
On the new 5 Series, Dynamic Damping Control (DDC) is combined with a slightly lowered (10mm) suspension.
I'm trying a 530d with adaptive Drive tomorrow, so will raise this question and measure as well, if I get a chance.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #10
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm trying a 530d with adaptive Drive tomorrow, so will raise this question and measure as well, if I get a chance.

HighlandPete
Pete,
I've ordered my 535d with AD and sport auto without having driven either and it's been a bit of a leap of faith, therefore I'd really appreciate your findings.
Obviously I'm hoping for a favourable report, but don't worry about any grief you may cause with negative thoughts; I'll just grin, albeit through gritted teeth, and somehow bear it .
Cheers and good luck, Jon
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 06:08 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Pete,
I've ordered my 535d with AD and sport auto without having driven either and it's been a bit of a leap of faith, therefore I'd really appreciate your findings.
Obviously I'm hoping for a favourable report, but don't worry about any grief you may cause with negative thoughts; I'll just grin, albeit through gritted teeth, and somehow bear it .
I've been assured by my garage the Adaptive Drive is definitely a superb bit of kit. 'Tony' (E92Fan), well respected, including for suspension setups, on E90Post, had this to say.

Quote:
I was loaned a 535i with full Adaptive Drive suspension features, but without active steering (thank goodness)... and I found it absolutely brilliant. For the type of car that it is, I found the changes between Comfort and Sport modes on the suspension to be very well judged. Am in love with the new 5er...
Expect to be reporting good things.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
I've been assured by my garage the Adaptive Drive is definitely a superb bit of kit. 'Tony' (E92Fan), well respected, including for suspension setups, on E90Post, had this to say.
Expect to be reporting good things.

HighlandPete
I enjoy my F10 much, but as regards adaptive drive, I prefer the sport mode to be tighter so that the difference is more substantial. Let me know who you agree with Also, my recollection is that the standard suspension may be preferable to adaptive drive's normal mode.

The adaptive drive's active anti-roll and steering are fine for me I can understand some people complaining that it may be very slightly "numb" (eg a Lotus' steering may be more connected but hey, it doesn't meet all my other needs) but i disagree that it is more/less numb on-center or off-center.

ps one more point, if convenient, please test with tyres at the low pressured point compared to the high one as marked at the side of the car. The difference is substantial.

Last edited by bm323; 09-18-2010 at 02:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Pete,
Had a good drive today with Adaptive Drive, I'll be coming back with more details, but I'd say "a good leap of faith". BTW, what wheel size are you fitting?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Had a good drive today with Adaptive Drive, I'll be coming back with more details, but I'd say "a good leap of faith". BTW, what wheel size are you fitting?

HighlandPete
I've gone for the standard 18", but might change later.
Looking forward to your report; what size wheels was your test car on?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2010, 03:18 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I've gone for the standard 18", but might change later.
Looking forward to your report; what size wheels was your test car on?
Posted a review here...

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...=433061&page=2

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0