2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Anyone Switch from Goodyear Eagle LS2 Runflats to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 ?

06-18-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Anyone Switch from Goodyear Eagle LS2 Runflats to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 ?

Has anyone in the forum specifically, went from the Goodyear Eagle LS2 Runflats to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 and have some feedback on performance?

For starters, I just bought a CPO 2012 535i xDrive with Sport Package (non M-Sport). Tire size is 245/40/19 and running the stock Goodyear Eagle LS2 RFTs.
So far, I pretty much hate the "feet of clay" feeling they're giving the car plus a couple of them are lightly feathered due to a previous balance/alignment issue, prior to me buying it.

I know this topic has been discussed before but there seems to be a mixture of folks running different stock OEM tires and I wanted to see specifically who's had the LS2s and then switched to the AS3's. Just wanted to make an educated decision on whether it will be worth it to change to non-RFT. I'm in the DC area and have had experience with sidewall bubbles in my previous Bridgestone Potenza runflats and would think changing over to non-RFT before winter hits, could be a wise choice.

A set is running for around $950 total from Tire Rack and a little cheaper at Costco, so would hope this upgrade is worth it before I pull the trigger. Thanks in advance for any input/feedback!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

I don't have the LS2's but I do have the Dunlop RF's. I'm in the same boat as you. I do have bubbles on my sidewall but I'll be getting some 21's next month. My current wheels I'll swap those RF's for snow tires and use them as my winter set. I've read all the threads regarding pros and cons and the polls but it Seems like a 50/50 here in this 5 series community about this.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
exylyr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i xDrive

I switched to the AS3 about 25k miles ago, on 19" M351 OEM M Sport wheels. I'm in the Chicago area, so plenty of potholes/rough roads - no problems to report (no sidewall bubbles, etc). Remaining tread measures 7/32.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
I don't have the LS2's but I do have the Dunlop RF's. I'm in the same boat as you. I do have bubbles on my sidewall but I'll be getting some 21's next month. My current wheels I'll swap those RF's for snow tires and use them as my winter set. I've read all the threads regarding pros and cons and the polls but it Seems like a 50/50 here in this 5 series community about this.
Thanks for the feedback...yeah I think I'm going to switch over just waiting to hear from others on what the major differences have been on switching.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exylyr
I switched to the AS3 about 25k miles ago, on 19" M351 OEM M Sport wheels. I'm in the Chicago area, so plenty of potholes/rough roads - no problems to report (no sidewall bubbles, etc). Remaining tread measures 7/32.
Thanks for the reply - just to clarify, you had the LS2's previously? If so, what were the changes in driving characteristics did you notice after the switch? I'm looking for an upgrade in the ride noise, comfort, and handling (all which seem to be possible with the AS3's). Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
exylyr
Private
Rep

I did have LS2 before changing. Unfortunately, I only had them for a couple of months before swapping them for the AS3, so I really can't comment on how much quieter/more comfortable they are (new tires always seem quieter). The handling seems sharper, and the driving in the snow has not been a problem with the AS3.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 06:09 AM   #7
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did have LS2 before changing. Unfortunately, I only had them for a couple of months before swapping them for the AS3, so I really can't comment on how much quieter/more comfortable they are (new tires always seem quieter). The handling seems sharper, and the driving in the snow has not been a problem with the AS3.
Hey thanks for the feedback man. I'm mainly interested to see if the car feels more nimble and lighter (while maintaining ride comfort). These LS2's seem horrible on rough pavement and give that somewhat mushy feeling, if that makes sense.

Might I ask, where did you buy your AS3's from? And how many inches of snow did you drive in with them? I'm in the DC area and the past few winters have been pretty bad.

I've been pricing around and it seems like Costco and Tire Rack are the cheapest options (around $950) - which is still a little pricey for my tastes lol
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
exylyr
Private
Rep

No problem. Since the car was new to me, I did not push the handling much with the LS2. I had a bead fail on the LS2, so I didn't keep them long.

As for the feel of the AS3, I think the 550 feels plenty nimble and handles well (especially for a 4400lb + car). I've been very happy with the AS3.

I got mine from TireRack, had them mounted/balanced by the dealer (car was already there to see how much an LS2 costs)

I drove them in snow up to 6" with what you'd expect for results. It's not a jeep, after all, but xi still keeps things moving.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problem. Since the car was new to me, I did not push the handling much with the LS2. I had a bead fail on the LS2, so I didn't keep them long.

As for the feel of the AS3, I think the 550 feels plenty nimble and handles well (especially for a 4400lb + car). I've been very happy with the AS3.

I got mine from TireRack, had them mounted/balanced by the dealer (car was already there to see how much an LS2 costs)

I drove them in snow up to 6" with what you'd expect for results. It's not a jeep, after all, but xi still keeps things moving.
Awesome, great feedback. I have an xDrive 535i so I too, was thinking the AS3's would be better on an AWD versus some who've had negative feedback of them (but theyre running RWD).

Any comments on the ride and noise comfort? The LS2's are pretty bad IMO, but I don't have much to compare to.

My other option is the Continental DWS for better snow traction and comfort from what others on the forum have commented on, but I heard their sidewalls are soft.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #10
dblock2151
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Msport DG

So I had the Dunlop RFT for 28k on my Msport 550i (same wheels as you), they were my first run flats on any vehicle, and they felt rougher than the big wheels I ran back in the day (22's with a 30 series sidewall) on my E53 X5.

I needed new tires and knew I wasn't going run flats again. The AS3's came out just around the time my tire search started. I wanted the Michelin Pilot SuperSports, but the tread life turned me off as I drive my car Spring-Fall, and store it for the winter. The AS3's seemed to be the best bet, and I do not regret my decision. Great grip, long tread life (almost double of the SuperSports), great turn-in and response. Have had them for about 7k miles and at this stage would definitely buy them again.

People say they're loud, but the F10 is so sound deadened you realy can't hear anything. The bumps feel like pudding compared to running over a brick with the run flats. These tires are more agile, and I have had no issues with them at all.

Fun Fact: The AS3's are a more "square" tire compared to the rounder sidewall's of the Dunlop's. This makes the tires look beefier and makes me look a tad bit more lowered.

Lastly, they suck in the snow, and strongly advise RWD owners with rough winters to choose something else. These were perfect for me because they still have great grip in cold temps (below freezing) and are even better in hotter temps (110F).

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep

I just had Michelin A/S 3 installed on msport. Ride is smoother and quieter than rfts. I had sway bar upgrades to m5 in front & 650 sway bar in rear. Without runflats car is little more wobbly. Runflats + bmw sway bars upgrade would feel same as non runflats + H&R sway bars upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #12
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblock2151 View Post
So I had the Dunlop RFT for 28k on my Msport 550i (same wheels as you), they were my first run flats on any vehicle, and they felt rougher than the big wheels I ran back in the day (22's with a 30 series sidewall) on my E53 X5.

I needed new tires and knew I wasn't going run flats again. The AS3's came out just around the time my tire search started. I wanted the Michelin Pilot SuperSports, but the tread life turned me off as I drive my car Spring-Fall, and store it for the winter. The AS3's seemed to be the best bet, and I do not regret my decision. Great grip, long tread life (almost double of the SuperSports), great turn-in and response. Have had them for about 7k miles and at this stage would definitely buy them again.

People say they're loud, but the F10 is so sound deadened you realy can't hear anything. The bumps feel like pudding compared to running over a brick with the run flats. These tires are more agile, and I have had no issues with them at all.

Fun Fact: The AS3's are a more "square" tire compared to the rounder sidewall's of the Dunlop's. This makes the tires look beefier and makes me look a tad bit more lowered.

Lastly, they suck in the snow, and strongly advise RWD owners with rough winters to choose something else. These were perfect for me because they still have great grip in cold temps (below freezing) and are even better in hotter temps (110F).

Hey thanks for the feedback dblock - great writeup on the feel. So I know you mentioned they sucked at the snow, but do you attribute that to you running RWD instead of AWD? I have xDrive and would hope they'd be better in the snow due to all four corners keeping things moving.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 12:11 AM   #13
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223 View Post
I just had Michelin A/S 3 installed on msport. Ride is smoother and quieter than rfts. I had sway bar upgrades to m5 in front & 650 sway bar in rear. Without runflats car is little more wobbly. Runflats + bmw sway bars upgrade would feel same as non runflats + H&R sway bars upgrade.
You bring up a good point as I'm debating on switching tires first or going w/the M5 and 650 sway bar setup.

When you say the car feels "wobbly" with non-RFTs and the swaybars...can you provide a little more details on that feel? I would think that it would have the opposite effect, since the AS3's have better grip and balance than the stock Goodyear LS2's. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #14
dblock2151
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Msport DG

When I viewed TireRack's comparison videos I really wanted a summer tire that could still have grip/traction off the line in colder to freezing temperatures. I started realizing my tires were wearing faster because they'd always be slipping/spinning when it got colder than 40 degrees.

After learning about the sunflower oil that helps keep traction at low temps this tire seemed and is perfect for my needs. Would I recommend these tires for winter? If you're AWD and you get very very mild winters with less than 2-3 inches of snow you should be fine. If it's anymore if strongly suggest just getting winter tires and good summer tires. They may cost you more but both sets will last much longer and you'll have the best of the summer and best of the winter with 100% confidence.

I had to move my car 40 feet from my garage this last winter and my car was slipping and going sideways without even giving any throttle at all I just gave up and waited for it to thaw.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #15
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro.M3
Quote:
You bring up a good point as I'm debating on switching tires first or going w/the M5 and 650 sway bar setup.

When you say the car feels "wobbly" with non-RFTs and the swaybars...can you provide a little more details on that feel? I would think that it would have the opposite effect, since the AS3's have better grip and balance than the stock Goodyear LS2's. Thanks again.
On highway driving during lane change or turning, car leans little bit more than before since regular tires have softer walls. if I were to do sway bar upgrade I would go with H&R, because it is DIRECT fit. M5 front sway bar is not direct fit, although it works fine for daily driving. M5 bar have slightly straight ends compared to msport bar front ends. So when M5 bar is installed, it puts pre stress on end links.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #16
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblock2151
When I viewed TireRack's comparison videos I really wanted a summer tire that could still have grip/traction off the line in colder to freezing temperatures. I started realizing my tires were wearing faster because they'd always be slipping/spinning when it got colder than 40 degrees.

After learning about the sunflower oil that helps keep traction at low temps this tire seemed and is perfect for my needs. Would I recommend these tires for winter? If you're AWD and you get very very mild winters with less than 2-3 inches of snow you should be fine. If it's anymore if strongly suggest just getting winter tires and good summer tires. They may cost you more but both sets will last much longer and you'll have the best of the summer and best of the winter with 100% confidence.

I had to move my car 40 feet from my garage this last winter and my car was slipping and going sideways without even giving any throttle at all I just gave up and waited for it to thaw.
Hey sorry for the delayed reply, been busy with work and thanks again for the great feedback.

DC snowstorms as of recent have been more than 3" so I'll keep this in mind if/when I decide to make the switch. There was a good video on Vimeo of a guy driving with the AS3's in his A4 (no issues in the snow but it was mostly plowed during the vid).

I'll keep you posted on when I change my LS2's out.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #17
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro.M3
Quote:

On highway driving during lane change or turning, car leans little bit more than before since regular tires have softer walls. if I were to do sway bar upgrade I would go with H&R, because it is DIRECT fit. M5 front sway bar is not direct fit, although it works fine for daily driving. M5 bar have slightly straight ends compared to msport bar front ends. So when M5 bar is installed, it puts pre stress on end links.
For the most part, I believe most forum members who've done the sway bar swap (M5/650) has said that its been a direct swap and no issues. Have you been able to do the swap and noticed any stress on the end links? I definitely want to be cautious if I do this swap.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:07 PM   #18
BMW49
Private
United_States
Rep

Really good video above showing the A/S 3's in the snow (albeit somewhat paved). Figured I'd post this in case people haven't seen it.
Appreciate 0