2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Dinan stage 2 refund??

04-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
JKresh
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Angry Dinan stage 2 refund??

im 8 days in my 550xi and do not feel the tune, I could put oil on the ground and not spin all 4 tires, is it possible to get a refund? I go to the dealer monday - to me its so not worth $3000...

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

interesting, i am very curious if there is any refund policies allowing for that!!
May be Dinan should have a proof of power increase, perhaps dino before and after for each car they tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
kthankzbye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i, 2020 G05 40i

Do a tranny reset
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
JKresh
Private
Rep

whats a tranny test
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 03:41 AM   #5
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Wait you have a 550xi? That may very well be part of your problem. Not sure what BMW's AWD system involves mechanically but you probably may NOT be able to break all 4 tires free in a massive cloud of tire smoke you seek as BMW's electronics may just prevent such antics. I've broken free my rears a few times but I have a RWD 550i not the AWD version. I've driven a C4S AWD on the track and even getting it to break free all 4 wheels as you suggest is difficult unless I am using launch control. Just a nature of the system design where the electronic nannies intervene way to early. Its not an AMG car with 600hp and 800 torque mind you where the electronic nannies are constantly fighting to put you in ditch in normal driving! LOL

Also the fact that you have an F10 550i vs an F10 M5 may be an issue. Do you have the Sport AT or the normal AT with your car or 6spd? The F10 M5 has the DCT if you recall which has launch control and is known for such antics also. I have the Sport AT and with Stage 3 I have noticed a significant amount of hp and yes torque with the car. It is blindingly quick and definately you feel the difference between my pre-Dinan vehicle and now.

Sorry you're disappointed...not sure what you were hoping for in the car but seeing that you came from an e92 M3 the F10 550i is NOT that car nor is it supposed to be. The M3 is a hooligan and high reving v8 which you can do all that with...the 550 is a different animal altogether! Just as quick and probably quicker but if you want that m3 type of glory you may need to step up to an M5 if that's what you seek. I don't agree in that I think properly tuned the F10 is about 85-90% of the M5 on a public road. But hey to each his own...liking car wise.

Good luck with your refund. Not sure you'll get far and even if you take it up with Dinan the regional rep will probably get involved and it may take a min or two to get a favorable resolution and even then...I've never heard of anyone getting a software re-program and refund...and that's after having 3 different M cars and Dinan on 4 of them I've just not seen it happen yet. Good luck tho and keep us informed.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
JKresh
Private
Rep

I don't know, I don't feel it is worth the money, my old 335 had a plug and play turbo tuner chip that made the car feel great for a fraction of the cost.

maybe its the fact im coming from an M3 and the 5 is not that car. - thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKresh View Post
I don't know, I don't feel it is worth the money, my old 335 had a plug and play turbo tuner chip that made the car feel great for a fraction of the cost.

maybe its the fact im coming from an M3 and the 5 is not that car. - thanks
JKresh...did you drive the 550xi before buying it? Multiple times and over different roads? I had an '08 e92 M3 [which I traded for an A7] and have done both Performance Delivery and also the M School and the F10 550 is definitely not an e93 M3. However it is not the slouch it seems to be in your posts. However its a heavier car than the M3 and build for a totally different driver and driving dynamic. Properly tuned it should be a nice addition for 90+% of BMW 5 series drivers.

However you may need to bite the bullet if you are THAT unhappy and go with either the new 2014 M3 sedan or 2014 M3 coupe to get what you are missing OR I am afraid pony up for an M5! There are a number for sale on the CPO market but none are a steal and you'll pay $88k min from what I've seen for a car with a few thou on the odometer.

Finally you may consider going Stage 3, adding an exhaust, brake software, suspension or going up to stage 4 with those and Intercoolers. I've not heard ANY complaints from anyone yet with Stage 4 on the forum and I have heard/read during my initial recon that Stage 2 didn't offer much over Stage 1 and that many folks weren't totally happy till they got to Stage 3 and added an exhaust as well. Just my 2 cents man...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
JKresh
Private
Rep

went to the dealer, tried a car they had there and yes the difference is there. what upset me is that they would not re flash my car without trying to charge me $290 !!!
Dinan NEVER called me back... over $3k for this flash is totally NOT worth it imo
my car is getting faster, its a rocket but yes I do miss the drivers car that is the M3

maybe ill see if the dealer will buy back my 550 and ill sit tight and wait a few years for the new m3 - who knows - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
F01Boost
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 750i Msport tuned

Go to bay diagnostics on NECK RD in Brooklyn I think they only charge $100 bucks for the install. I am surprised DINAN has not called you back.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
JKresh
Private
Rep

they didn't call me back and they wouldn't pay for the dealer to re flash.
I have to say its faster yes but its not worth $3000 no way not even close.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 12:59 AM   #11
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKresh View Post
went to the dealer, tried a car they had there and yes the difference is there. what upset me is that they would not re flash my car without trying to charge me $290 !!!
Dinan NEVER called me back... over $3k for this flash is totally NOT worth it imo
my car is getting faster, its a rocket but yes I do miss the drivers car that is the M3

maybe ill see if the dealer will buy back my 550 and ill sit tight and wait a few years for the new m3 - who knows - thanks!
Sorry to hear that. Your dealer sucks! I would seriously look at any other Dinan authorized dealership in the area and call or stop by an explain your predicament. You will earn some good will that way. Surprised Dinan didn't call you back. If you PM I may be able to at least give you a better contact email you can use with them.

I think your decisions are subjective on the car's performance. My car is fast as hell and while no M5 it's not that far off...not so much that I can't get myself arrested easily if I were to utilize any significant amount of what my Dinan upgrades have done/made the car! However I think you last few statements say it all...you are thinking the car should be an M3 sedan which you are used to and coming from and it is not. It is a driver's car and better sports sedan than most out there...I traded back to mine from an A7 and had an e92 M3 prior to that. Wife had an A4 and now has a Panamera and I've driven M5's (e60), M6 (e63) on the track and test driven the new versions of both. So modified the 550i is probably as good as you will get for a large/full size sports perfomance sedan as you wil get for the money outside of a Panamera S or GTS or Turbo or an RS-6 or RS-7 or S-8 my friend. But it is NOT a driver's car in the sense that an M3 is...not designed for that audience and the closest you will get in an F10 body style is an F10 M5.

Sooo I suggest you look there and take the hit financially [if you can] and get them to buy your car back on an M5! Others have swallowed the bitter pill and done the same...not because they hated their 550i's for the most part but more cause their particulars just made it such that they decided they couldn't live without the M5 and that performance. Nothing wrong with that...its about life choices and decisions man. My 2 cents...Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
JKresh
Private
Rep

in the end its my mistake.

This is a large luxury sedan its not a drivers car like my M3 was or even my current e30. it's an incredible machine but it will never be a little sports car that can be thrown around,
I will enjoy it for now and in a year or two trade it in for a stripped down M4. I'm certainly not playing the change the springs change the brakes change everything game.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

I have DS2 on my '12 550i M-Sport and it makes a Substantial difference!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #14
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKresh
im 8 days in my 550xi and do not feel the tune, I could put oil on the ground and not spin all 4 tires, is it possible to get a refund? I go to the dealer monday - to me its so not worth $3000...

thanks!
I caught the Dinan sale and ended up installing the Stage2 tune through a local tuner and not the dealership on my MSport 550xi.

The car is night and day different, especially when I'm using the paddles from 2nd to 3rd gear and on the top end. I'm coming from many tuned Audi's and this car is so much fun to drive now. Also dump those GY LS2 run flats and switch to a set of Michelin's or Toyo Proxes 4+. Then my friend you will see the magic. I would also find another Dinan tuner in your area to check your car!

Good luck...