2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications ZF8 HP AT oil change procedure (for DIY purpose)

05-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #1
mitakam
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M-Sport

ZF8 HP AT oil change procedure (for DIY purpose)

Hello,

First of all I know there are lots of threads and discussions on the subject but I would try to consolidate the available official ZF and ISTA procedures.

Attached are 3 documents:

1. ISTA procedure (ABL) / transmission control unit - oil level adjustment
2. ZF instruction that I got from ZF service desk.
3. ZF instruction from the ZF website.

The first document was a bit harder to get as you can not open and review the ABL without having ISTA connected and getting the right temperatures. I just scrolled via the steps and got screenshots.

I would assume ISTA steps are the same for all different types of engines and ZF8 configurations but for clarity this was recorded on N57(D30O1) and GAHP70Z (ZF8 HP 70) RWD combo.

What got me confused so far are the several discrepancies between ISTA, ZF and random web guides I have read/watched:

- A/C off or on during measurement? This will have an effect on idling speed. For reference the instruction for the previous 6HP requires all loads off.

- the steps for torque convertor filling and gear change sequence are reversed in ISTA (p.9-10) and ZF instructions. As per my limited AT operation knowledge torque convertor filling makes more sense to be first.

- should the brake pedal be pressed always when not in P or the wheels should be allowed to spin? I guess DSC is requested to be turned off to allow the wheels to spin.

As to the transmission oil cooler it is worth mentioning that not always there will be a thermostat release on the oil lines while still there be a heat exchanger. For example on the N57D30O1 engine the transmission oil heat exchanger is warmed/cooled by coolant and the thermostat releases are in the cooling system thus there is constant oil flow from the AT to/from the heat exchanger. Again this might me different for your particular set-up.

It will be great if somebody has any experience and/or knowledge to clarify the ISTA/ZF discrepancies.
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
mashpotato
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 F10 N55

Great Post. Just did mine, and I have to collect info from other places. Just my opinion on the 8HP45,

- The point is to cycle new fluid into the system, I guess A/C should be off. Probably doesn't matter though.
- Don't know. I think as long as there is fluid (old and new mixing), there is no chance for damages. When you drain, its only pan fluid, not inside the converter and gears (unless you flush)
- I read somewhere on F30 that when switching gears (P, R, D). Brake pedal must be pressed to prevent any damages b/c the wheels are off the ground. Otherwise, they are supposed to spin when you are in D or R.

For anyone that is thinking about doing it, either follow ZF mileage recommendations or tighter if you drive hard (don't listen to anyone talks about lifetime oil...), and don't cheap out and do the transfer case, and front/rear diff too. Mine came out pretty bad after 150k (km), with stuttering in gear changes and I baby the crap out of the car. Also, there are garages that get lazy and don't follow procedures, you might want to double check oil level after.

About adaption reset, I think everyone has a different opinion, but here is an opinion.
https://www.xhpflashtool.com/blog/adaptions/

Last edited by mashpotato; 02-19-2021 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 2
Sp12348.50
      05-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
mitakam
Rep

Thanks for the shared info.

So just to clarify if I understood. Brake pedal pressed only during changing and released during wait times?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

about to do mine today after work. all 4 wheels off the ground! good to know info.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 06:19 AM   #5
mitakam
Rep

Great, let us know how did it go.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #6
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitakam View Post
Great, let us know how did it go.
orderd the kit from fceuroparts and also their pump to fill the tranny. its easy as you think. just follow the steps. id say make sure to have the car running while doing the 2nd fill . you might think its already full but once you turn the car on it starts to accept more fluid. id say i used 5 Qts. still have 2 full bottle left of z8.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
mashpotato
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 F10 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitakam View Post
Thanks for the shared info.

So just to clarify if I understood. Brake pedal pressed only during changing and released during wait times?
Yep. brake pressed when changing gears, otherwise let the wheel spin during wait times.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 06:26 PM   #8
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashpotato View Post
Yep. brake pressed when changing gears, otherwise let the wheel spin during wait times.
Bit of a revival, but posting for future info. I did the AT fluid change yesterday, letting the wheels spin under load will cause an ABS fault. Keep your foot on the break while in gear, can take it off once back in park.

Appreciate 0