2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2014 LCI - LED daytime light failing?

11-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
NeoCortex
Private
Rep
Drives: 530xD LCI

2014 LCI - LED daytime light failing?

I'm going to a BMW workshop for the 2nd time with my great 2014 LCI, 530D because of this error:
"Parking/daytime lights - parking and daytime driving lights failed." - The message comes and goes in the I-Drive menu. When the error appears the left outer Ring in the headlight fails to be turned on.

The mystical part is that it's not constantly off and I can't find any constants in the way it appears.

I need a little technical help because I've previously been to another BMW workshop where they failed to find any error. (the lights worked that day) and there were to errors in the Vehicle info menu.

I just talked to another workshop and the guy on the phone said that it could be that the LED bulb is broken and if the car hits a bump it could temporarily work again. Is this likely? I just need to be prepared when I drop off the car there and I don't want to waste anymore time.

I have the adaptive LED's.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Intermittent problems are the hardest to fix, if the DRL were permanently off, then it would be easier to troubleshoot. It could be a loose connection anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
NeoCortex
Private
Rep
Drives: 530xD LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Intermittent problems are the hardest to fix, if the DRL were permanently off, then it would be easier to troubleshoot. It could be a loose connection anywhere.
Exactly! - It's really frustrating because i think the workshop would prefer to just change the bulb (not covered by guarantee) instead of actually dig deep in to the issue. And before i know it I have 'enjoyed' many trips to them with all the logistic hassle that follows.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Had this on my E60 pre F10, each time it went in, it was working again, and they could find no fault. They told me that in order to trace it, it would need plugging into diagnostics for an hour or too, which wiring looms were checked individually....

...it was out of warranty, so a good excuse to change to F10 !!

What I am saying is, they told me they can trace it to wiring with time.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
RandomGuy152
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M-Sport (TiAg)

Truly... they should just change the headlight cluster.
My previous F10 with halogen lights was booked in for the left dipped beam bulb, and rather than having a tug of war with the awkward light bulb change method, they just changed the entire headlight cluster.

Not complaining, but even that seemed unnecessarily extreme to me, but such was the case.

Photograph the non-working daytime runner and the error messages, or video the scenario, then show the staff at the dealer.
Appreciate 0