2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Car drives differently with each key fob.

08-25-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
reallyreallyslow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f10

Car drives differently with each key fob.

Two key fobs.

Key fob 1 is used for daily drive. Mild driving, fast but not abusing it. The car drives good. Car had some laggy throttle response issue when new. 2000miles later, the car seems to have "broken itself in" on the software part.

Key fob 2 is seldom used, perhaps under 300miles. Used by a gentle driver. When I accidentally took this key fob with me, the car felt slower with slow throttle response. It is like how it was with key fob 1 when the car was new. The sort of half a second delay you get when you press the accelerator...it is kinda like step on pedal, nothing, step on pedal more, still nothing, then half a second later, the power just kicks in with a violent burst. Feels like eco-pro at a whole new level of slowness.

Does key fob really store your driving habits and adapt the car to you?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Interesting. I have never used my second key fob, so i will test it out next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
half man half amazin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430 Gran Coupe

Have had the same experience when I used the other key fob to show my girl how to drive and operate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
this is interesting to me. what about the iDrive profiles? i wonder if that makes any changes. I think i'll create a new one today and see if it's any different.
      08-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

this is very curious, I'm going to have to give this a go. I've not used my second FOB either so be interesting if there is a difference.
Is this the adaptive gearbox? Is this an urban myth , does it really learn your charactistics?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i read this in the chicago forum when mithiral67 bought a porche some time ago: "i just reset the ECU and picked up 2 more psi across the board, definitely noticable." completely different but i started thinking about what my car learned about me during the break in period because i was super gentle. then i started thinking that i should attempt something to let it know how aggressive i can be. lol

needless to say, my interest is peaked regarding all of these things.
      08-26-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

The owners manual has information regarding what is stored on your key fob.

Radio station last listened to, seat position etc. are stored. I have also experienced that my wifes key fob gives a slightly different engine repsonse, gear changes etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #8
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

I experience the same thing using key fob 2 which is my wifes. She rarely drive the car and when she does she is very cautious. If I happen to drive with her key the car seems much more subdued.
      08-27-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'd love to know what the fob is supposed to be holding in memory, which could affect performance.

Are you guys suggesting there are two sets of parameters stored in the car's electronics covering throttle response and gearbox which are just 'switched' on the use of a different fob?

The gearbox 'user adaption' is not even supposed to store in memory, even within the car. User adaption starts afresh on each start up, plus you can break that adaption pattern anytime while driving, so what could be held in a fob?

Interested to know what could be going on, as I've not read anything that implies there could be a connection to the driving performance.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

I have to admit, despite my own curiosity regarding this topic I have never pushed for answers. The difference in driving behavior between the fobs is noticeable and I always assumed it was due to the car "learning" driving habits and modifying its systems to provide the best experience given the driving habit.
      08-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

could there be an element of placebao efect going on here possibly?
Perhaps a letter to BMW will asnwer the question.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

I think there is a difference in the way the car drives when I use different key fobs.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d

the gearbox learns your driving style and adapts, diffrent fob is a new user and either starts fresh or from that fobs previous settings... my merc did it aso.
      08-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #14
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Interesting, never knew that.
      08-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroll320 View Post
the gearbox learns your driving style and adapts, diffrent fob is a new user and either starts fresh or from that fobs previous settings... my merc did it aso.
Are you saying this as fact, or just opinion on what you think is happening?

This "learning" has been said for previous generations of BMW (like the E60/1 for example), it is a very loose term, as the car is not learning anything, it is simply adapting to driver and vehicle inputs. The actual adaptive function is well documented for the E60/1 gearbox. Nothing gets logged in memory and the adaption restarts on each start up and adapts on the fly. Change your style on the run and the adaption is there with you, within a few seconds. You can break the adaption any time, simply by putting the gear stick in DS, as it then selects one of 2 sport programmes, according to how you are driving.

That's why I'd like to understand if the F10/11 is different, BMW aren't giving much away, the description is more marketing speak. Without technical data/clarification how does the fob log the last few metres of driving style? Is the car holding driver adaption values for the gearbox, for the next start up, something the previous generation of 5-series didn't?

I'd be expecting BMW to be singing this feature as a massive move forward in driver recognition, or whatever. They are keen to 'gush' about the predictive adaption in development, but not saying much about the current Adaptive Transmission Management (ATM).

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
mroll320
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Are you saying this as fact, or just opinion on what you think is happening?

This "learning" has been said for previous generations of BMW (like the E60/1 for example), it is a very loose term, as the car is not learning anything, it is simply adapting to driver and vehicle inputs. The actual adaptive function is well documented for the E60/1 gearbox. Nothing gets logged in memory and the adaption restarts on each start up and adapts on the fly. Change your style on the run and the adaption is there with you, within a few seconds. You can break the adaption any time, simply by putting the gear stick in DS, as it then selects one of 2 sport programmes, according to how you are driving.

That's why I'd like to understand if the F10/11 is different, BMW aren't giving much away, the description is more marketing speak. Without technical data/clarification how does the fob log the last few metres of driving style? Is the car holding driver adaption values for the gearbox, for the next start up, something the previous generation of 5-series didn't?

I'd be expecting BMW to be singing this feature as a massive move forward in driver recognition, or whatever. They are keen to 'gush' about the predictive adaption in development, but not saying much about the current Adaptive Transmission Management (ATM).

HighlandPete
My mates brother works for BMW as a tech. He confirms this, infact the throttle map is altered to suit the gearbox setting at the time too.
It is beyond doubt, when I go on long trip on our 70mph motorways driving for economy the car goes slushy and really does n`t want to change down till it has too.... a shot drive "booting it".. a bit puts it back a more sporting setting
      08-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
My mates brother works for BMW as a tech. He confirms this, infact the throttle map is altered to suit the gearbox setting at the time too.
It is beyond doubt, when I go on long trip on our 70mph motorways driving for economy the car goes slushy and really does n`t want to change down till it has too.... a shot drive "booting it".. a bit puts it back a more sporting setting
I follow what you are saying and it adapts to your style, that is not in dispute. My E91 does that and I'm pretty sensitive to it doing so, using different pre-programmed maps on the fly, but is that learning your style for another day? My car is still predictable to my different styles and conditions. Like getting into the mountains and the sensors feeding back to the gearbox. And like you say, you can change your style and it soon gets onto a different mapping. I can drive my car home enthusiastically or very relaxed, but the next day it is always the same as I leave my home, however I drive it the day before.

So what does your mate's brother say is different in the F10, over and above the E60, for example? I'm trying to grasp what BMW have improved in the F10 regarding driver adaption, I can't find any data which spells it out.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
babyboss
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport

Garage List
2012 640d  [0.00]
strange phenomenon .. like J.T in the same name movie !!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

Quote:
Agree, I notice this too.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #20
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

IMO, there are a number of different transmission settings or 'maps' built in. Depending on your style and heaviness of your foot, the car will select the one most suited to that style; until you change it in some radical way, then it will adapt to a different 'map' setting. Our retired 02 MB had seven maps the car could choose from. Not sure how many F10s have.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #21
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgorm View Post
IMO, there are a number of different transmission settings or 'maps' built in. Depending on your style and heaviness of your foot, the car will select the one most suited to that style; until you change it in some radical way, then it will adapt to a different 'map' setting. Our retired 02 MB had seven maps the car could choose from. Not sure how many F10s have.
BMW software for the ZF 6-speed auto (E60, E90) is 4-programmes. 2 comfort maps (XE and E) plus 2 sport maps (XS and S). Plus adaption features such as 'kick-fast', (throttle evaluation) cornering detection (indirect adaptation to the driver type) and brake evaluation, (similar to kick-fast). All adapting to current driver style. And "within seconds" adapting if you change the driving style and/or conditions. The driver-type adaptation is restarted each time the vehicle pulls away from a standstill.

The driver adaption doesn't learn driver "A", or driver "B", in the previous applications of the auto gearbox. We've read for years about gearbox behaviour that "perhaps the previous driver's style was different" or "maybe it needs to learn my style of driving". If we change our style, in real time, the gearbox software will adapt to our new style within seconds, that is the whole point of driver adaption, it becomes far more natural and user friendly as we drive.

The whole adaption concept when implemented was based on three main values, Driver-Type Recognition, Environmental Recognition, Driving-Situation Recognition.

Where and how the F10 with the 8-speed auto has advanced over the previous generation software, is where the technical data is lacking.

Plus how and why the key fob appears to be involved?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #22
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
BMW software for the ZF 6-speed auto (E60, E90) is 4-programmes. 2 comfort maps (XE and E) plus 2 sport maps (XS and S). Plus adaption features such as 'kick-fast', (throttle evaluation) cornering detection (indirect adaptation to the driver type) and brake evaluation, (similar to kick-fast). All adapting to current driver style. And "within seconds" adapting if you change the driving style and/or conditions. The driver-type adaptation is restarted each time the vehicle pulls away from a standstill.

The driver adaption doesn't learn driver "A", or driver "B", in the previous applications of the auto gearbox. We've read for years about gearbox behaviour that "perhaps the previous driver's style was different" or "maybe it needs to learn my style of driving". If we change our style, in real time, the gearbox software will adapt to our new style within seconds, that is the whole point of driver adaption, it becomes far more natural and user friendly as we drive.

The whole adaption concept when implemented was based on three main values, Driver-Type Recognition, Environmental Recognition, Driving-Situation Recognition.

Where and how the F10 with the 8-speed auto has advanced over the previous generation software, is where the technical data is lacking.

Plus how and why the key fob appears to be involved?

HighlandPete
Interesting. Thank you for clarifying this.
Appreciate 0