2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Jack Adaptor

05-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #1
F10N47
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D M Sport

Jack Adaptor

I've searched this forum and others but can't find a definitive answer to the jacking thing. I see the need for an adaptor in order to prevent damage to the plastic housing on the jacking points, but I can't determine if the lift is actually made at point 'A' or point 'B'.

Point 'A' makes the most sense as that doesn't place any vertical pressure on the housing. In this case it seems the circular base is simply a means of locating the adaptor on the jack and the plastic housing acts as nothing more than a lateral locator to prevent sideways slip. I'm guessing there should be an air gap between point 'B' and the plastic housing otherwise it defeats the purpose of the adaptor.

I'd really appreciate some clarification!

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
tdang81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 550i M Sport

the rectangular block you have labeled as "A" goes inside the jack housings.

I just use a hockey puck, works perfect. No problems for years so far
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

The adapter works very well, especially this one that I have that has these little plugs on the side that holds it up in the jack point pocket. BTW, the rectangular block goes inside the plastic jack point on the chassis and the jack goes on the flat opposite side.

They cost twice as much as what you can buy others on Amazon, etc. but they are worth it IMO.

http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html...07&id=21585717
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Click on the link below for more information. Only point "A" will touch your car, there is a bit of space between the plastic jack piece and point "B" on the adapter by design. Point "B" should not touch the plastic jack piece on your car, otherwise it will defeat the purpose of you buying the jack pad adapter if the weight of the car rests on the plastic edge.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666311
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
F10N47
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Click on the link below for more information. Only point "A" will touch your car, there is a bit of space between the plastic jack piece and point "B" on the adapter by design. Point "B" should not touch the plastic jack piece on your car, otherwise it will defeat the purpose of you buying the jack pad adapter if the weight of the car rests on the plastic edge.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666311
Thanks, that's what I thought

It seems there are a lot of people without these devices (improvised or otherwise) jacking their cars directly on the plastic housing!

I'm guessing the adaptor needs to be a slightly loose fit in the housing to allow for the change in angle as the car is raised, otherwise the adaptor will exert pressure on the sides of the housing.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 02:19 AM   #6
F10N47
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
The adapter works very well, especially this one that I have that has these little plugs on the side that holds it up in the jack point pocket. BTW, the rectangular block goes inside the plastic jack point on the chassis and the jack goes on the flat opposite side.

They cost twice as much as what you can buy others on Amazon, etc. but they are worth it IMO.

http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html...07&id=21585717
Thanks. I saw these ... they look very well made. Only problem is I live in the UK so they become quite expensive once shipping is added. I intend having some made up by a local machine shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 02:20 AM   #7
F10N47
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdang81 View Post
the rectangular block you have labeled as "A" goes inside the jack housings.

I just use a hockey puck, works perfect. No problems for years so far
Thanks. I've seen a lot of recommendations for hockey pucks!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10N47 View Post
Thanks. I saw these ... they look very well made. Only problem is I live in the UK so they become quite expensive once shipping is added. I intend having some made up by a local machine shop.
Shipping can't be more than $25 USD.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
F10N47
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Shipping can't be more than $25 USD.
Price all-in with shipping is around $50 from either Burger or Reverse Logic. That's not a bad price but I can get a local machine shop to make something from aluminium or steel for less than half that.

I just wanted to be sure that the car is jacked in the centre of the housing and not on the housing itself. It sort of makes sense for the part which bears on the jack to have a slight curvature to allow for angle change when lifting the car one-sided.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Price all-in with shipping is around $50 from either Burger or Reverse Logic. That's not a bad price but I can get a local machine shop to make something from aluminium or steel for less than half that.

I just wanted to be sure that the car is jacked in the centre of the housing and not on the housing itself. It sort of makes sense for the part which bears on the jack to have a slight curvature to allow for angle change when lifting the car one-sided.
The idea is to take the weight on the rectangular block. Think of the BMW jack and how the plastic block is a locator for the jack. Google "BMW jack" and look at the images.... you'll see the jack top is just a flat section which fits up inside the plastic jacking point.

The plastic blocks will take the weight on the edges, with a block between the trolley jack and jacking point, but not the perfect way to jack the car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
F10N47
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The idea is to take the weight on the rectangular block. Think of the BMW jack and how the plastic block is a locator for the jack. Google "BMW jack" and look at the images.... you'll see the jack top is just a flat section which fits up inside the plastic jacking point.

The plastic blocks will take the weight on the edges, with a block between the trolley jack and jacking point, but not the perfect way to jack the car.
It all makes sense now. What threw me initially was the rectangular block at the bottom of the plastic housing (on my car, at least) moves around a little and didn't seem to be substantial enough to support the car. I'd have thought BMW would sell these adaptors but my local parts dept. says not.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #12
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
I've searched this forum and others but can't find a definitive answer to the jacking thing. I see the need for an adaptor in order to prevent damage to the plastic housing on the jacking points, but I can't determine if the lift is actually made at point 'A' or point 'B'...
As Highland Pete says, point 'A' is the load bearing surface. I just did a Google search and found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Jackin...-/160984826001
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:00 AM   #13
F10N47
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
As Highland Pete says, point 'A' is the load bearing surface. I just did a Google search and found this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Jackin...-/160984826001
Thanks. I saw your post after I'd already bought this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-New-Mi...item232b77ebbf

Looks like it should do the job. All I need now is a new trolley jack ...
Appreciate 0