2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Run Flat Tires long drive

06-28-2019, 06:41 AM   #1
BimmerOwner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Run Flat Tires long drive

Do you think I can do it to drive from Phoenix to San Diego with my F10 run flat tires? I need your advice/suggestions please? Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

Pretty vague.
Are one of them flat?
If so then no.
If they are ok then I don't understand the question.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
Walt White Coupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 650ix Coupe, 23 C8 Vette

Me neither.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #4
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

As long as they're in good condition, why not? When my daughter was going to GCU we made at least 15 round-trips, PHX to SAN with nary an issue. We also took those tires on a vacation to Yellowstone. The rOF's that came on our '14 535 took us on an uneventful 5600+ mile trip last fall.

There seems to be some kind of fear of ROF tires. They've been standard equipment on various vehicles for some time now.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 01:40 PM   #5
BimmerOwner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
Pretty vague.
Are one of them flat?
If so then no.
If they are ok then I don't understand the question.
I have RF tires on my 535d. The're all brand new - 3 weeks old. Will plan to travel PHX - San Diego and back.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 01:44 PM   #6
BimmerOwner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
As long as they're in good condition, why not? When my daughter was going to GCU we made at least 15 round-trips, PHX to SAN with nary an issue. We also took those tires on a vacation to Yellowstone. The rOF's that came on our '14 535 took us on an uneventful 5600+ mile trip last fall.

There seems to be some kind of fear of ROF tires. They've been standard equipment on various vehicles for some time now.
All 4 tires are brand new on my 535d (3 weeks old). Planning to travel PHX-San Diego and back. Thank you for your insight. It will really help my decision.
As you said you travelled 5,600+ miles with your RF tires with no issues. I am really going to do that... cheers bro.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 02:19 PM   #7
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerOwner View Post
All 4 tires are brand new on my 535d (3 weeks old). Planning to travel PHX-San Diego and back. Thank you for your insight. It will really help my decision.
As you said you travelled 5,600+ miles with your RF tires with no issues. I am really going to do that... cheers bro.
The only real difference between ROF's and "regular" tyres is the sidewall stiffness. ROF's have a much stiffer sidewall so the tyre can hold it's shape and support the car. I actually misspoke a bit; our trips were SAN-PHX. A few of our trips were also in Aug so, as you well know, it was hot HOT! The ONLY reason I replaced the ROF's on my '14 with non-ROF's was the cost. I'm more fearful of a flat now than I was with the ROF's. I do have a plug kit, compressor and jack in the trunk so I should be good; I also have AAA.

Coming to SAN proper or somewhere else in the county? The city I would take the 10 down to Gila Bend and then the 8. Have a radar detector handy (my Valentine V1 has saved me numerous times [can't beat the arrows and counter!]) and believe the warnings! as flat as it is, you should get at least a 2-3 mile warning. CHP is very aggressive the 1st 20 miles or so inside the border. There's a Border Patrol checkpoint once you're through the fun part of the mountain climb. Enjoy the trip!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #8
BimmerOwner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The only real difference between ROF's and "regular" tyres is the sidewall stiffness. ROF's have a much stiffer sidewall so the tyre can hold it's shape and support the car. I actually misspoke a bit; our trips were SAN-PHX. A few of our trips were also in Aug so, as you well know, it was hot HOT! The ONLY reason I replaced the ROF's on my '14 with non-ROF's was the cost. I'm more fearful of a flat now than I was with the ROF's. I do have a plug kit, compressor and jack in the trunk so I should be good; I also have AAA.

Coming to SAN proper or somewhere else in the county? The city I would take the 10 down to Gila Bend and then the 8. Have a radar detector handy (my Valentine V1 has saved me numerous times [can't beat the arrows and counter!]) and believe the warnings! as flat as it is, you should get at least a 2-3 mile warning. CHP is very aggressive the 1st 20 miles or so inside the border. There's a Border Patrol checkpoint once you're through the fun part of the mountain climb. Enjoy the trip!!
Your response is so helpful. I have radar already in place. lol. I live in Chandler so I can reach I-8 pretty much quicker. Speaking of border check point, can I just use my driver license as identification or do I need to carry my passport with me?
Again you're a great help..... thank you so much indeed.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your response is so helpful. I have radar already in place. lol. I live in Chandler so I can reach I-8 pretty much quicker. Speaking of border check point, can I just use my driver license as identification or do I need to carry my passport with me?
As long as you don't look suspicious, which you probably don't, they'll just wave you through. They may ask if you're a citizen; they did at checkpoint we went through in Texas. My theory is they're looking for a specific vehicle or person.

Anything else??
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:26 PM   #10
BimmerOwner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
As long as you don't look suspicious, which you probably don't, they'll just wave you through. They may ask if you're a citizen; they did at checkpoint we went through in Texas. My theory is they're looking for a specific vehicle or person.

Anything else??
I am a citizen though. I will just bring my passport to be sure. You're a great help. Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #11
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

The tires should be good for 30k miles or so, if you want you could put all those miles on in one trip.
The purpose is if you encountered a flat, to get you to a safer location, home, to a shop.
For your intents and purposes they will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:37 PM   #12
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am a citizen though. I will just bring my passport to be sure. You're a great help. Thank you so much!
I wouldn't worry about your passport. We are close, but haven't reached the "show me your papers" stage just yet (this new Read-ID is a start). They asked and when I said "yes" they just waved me on. "Checkpoint C" isn't always open, anyway.

Watch out for crazy truck drivers. They like to "blink and go"! I saw one almost run a girl driving an SUV into the center median! Had he waited another second or two she would have certainly lost control in the uneven, loose dirt surface of the median!

When are you going to be here? Vacation?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:23 PM   #13
BimmerOwner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about your passport. We are close, but haven't reached the "show me your papers" stage just yet (this new Read-ID is a start). They asked and when I said "yes" they just waved me on. "Checkpoint C" isn't always open, anyway.

Watch out for crazy truck drivers. They like to "blink and go"! I saw one almost run a girl driving an SUV into the center median! Had he waited another second or two she would have certainly lost control in the uneven, loose dirt surface of the median!

When are you going to be here? Vacation?
Thanks for the tip. Yes weekend getaway to meet with friends.
Again, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:25 PM   #14
BimmerOwner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
The tires should be good for 30k miles or so, if you want you could put all those miles on in one trip.
The purpose is if you encountered a flat, to get you to a safer location, home, to a shop.
For your intents and purposes they will be fine.
That is a great advice. Yes it is only for a weekend getaway to meet some friends.
I prefer to drive my own as I am really comfortable with my car. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 05:34 AM   #15
jeremymcvicar
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 540XI MSPORT

Garage List
RFT for Long Trips?

Quote:
Do you think I can do it to drive from Phoenix to San Diego with my F10 run flat tires? I need your advice/suggestions please? Thanks.
Ya, not understanding this question. I have run-flats on my 2016 550i and recently had a flat. It got me to BMW (10 mi) just fine. My only problem now is that since they changed it for a new tire last week, it slowly leaks. I'm taking it in tomorrow and asking WTF is going on. On another note, I saw some here were questioning RFT for trips? I travel to NY from N. VA all the time, I never knew trips were a concern. Is it? Should I be worried about the reliability of RFT on long trips? Cheers.
Appreciate 0