2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Rear tyre problem - Advice please!

06-24-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 520D MSport

Rear tyre problem - Advice please!

Ive just had my UK 530d GT in for its first service with 15k miles on the clock. Ive been advised that my rear tyres have 5mm tread depth however, they have both worn on the inside & require replacement as the cord is now showing & is dangerous. I understand the diagnosis however, I have driven the car carefully since i bought it as an ex BMW car with 6k on the clock last November. I have not driven through any major potholes & have always maintained the tyre pressures correctly. The service desk also suggested that as it is a heavy car, this could have contributed towards the excessive wear on the inside!

BMW uk have said that before they can decide if there is any responsibility from a warranty perspective, I need to have the 2 tyres changed & an alignment check carried out by them at a total cost of £1,030. Clearly this could be completed much cheaper at an independant tyre centre. Any advice on how I should approach this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
relic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 650xi Gran Coupe

Are these the original wheels and tires or was there a swap?

If the answer is ‘no’ and the tires have worn on the inside only then it is an alignment problem. Either too much (negative) camber or too much toe out.

For it to be on both sides strongly negates it being the result of a pothole and sounds very much like someone misaligned the rear.

You say it is an ‘ex BMW’ car so the problem is what might have been done before you got it and just what warranty it still has.
      06-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bickers1972 View Post
Ive just had my UK 530d GT in for its first service with 15k miles on the clock. Ive been advised that my rear tyres have 5mm tread depth however, they have both worn on the inside & require replacement as the cord is now showing & is dangerous. I understand the diagnosis however, I have driven the car carefully since i bought it as an ex BMW car with 6k on the clock last November. I have not driven through any major potholes & have always maintained the tyre pressures correctly. The service desk also suggested that as it is a heavy car, this could have contributed towards the excessive wear on the inside!

BMW uk have said that before they can decide if there is any responsibility from a warranty perspective, I need to have the 2 tyres changed & an alignment check carried out by them at a total cost of £1,030. Clearly this could be completed much cheaper at an independant tyre centre. Any advice on how I should approach this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ouch! I have 14k on the clock and about 5mm left, wear seemed reasonably even when I had a rear wheel off a couple of weeks ago (alloy repair), but I will take a closer look this weekend.

I don't see why BMW need to replace the tyres first. I would argue that they just need to check the alignment, hopefully there will be something wrong with the geometry otherwise the problem will continue with a new tyres. I think the BMW charge for alignment is about £140 which is outrageous but it might be worth it if you can pin part of the tyre replacement cost on them.

In the past I have found that sending a very polite email to Tim Abbott at BMW requesting that his customer service director look into the matter has the desired effect, but I would save that for a rainy day! See how you get on with the dealer route first.

Out of interest what size rims/ tyres do you have?
Good luck
2019 G05 3.0d MSport in Artic Grey/ Black 2015 F15 3.0d MSport/ 2014 F15 3.0d MSport, Carbon Black with Ivory White/ Black interior. 2015 f23 2 series convertible in Glacier Silver / Black. 2010 F07 5GT SE Sapphire Black with Ivory White/black interior
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Speuk - Thanks for your advice re Tim Abbott. My tyres are 275/35/20.

Relic - Agreed but trying to get the garage to appreciate that is another thing!! The tyres & wheels are original.

I've now got the car booked in for an alignment check on Thursday. Alignment with adjustment for the rear is £280! In the meantime I will get two new tyres fitted as they are both illegal & then see how I get on negotiating with the dealership once they've completed their checks.

If anybody else has any further advice, I'd appreciate your opinion.

Cheers. Rob.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
BaltimoreGT
Rep
Drives: 550i GT/black/Sport pkg/20"

Alignment seems inevitable.

I would put on real summer tires. The car is just amazing with grippy rubber. The rfts are not suitable. Real summer max perf tyres do the job.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Speuk - Thanks for your advice re Tim Abbott. My tyres are 275/35/20.

Relic - Agreed but trying to get the garage to appreciate that is another thing!! The tyres & wheels are original.

I've now got the car booked in for an alignment check on Thursday. Alignment with adjustment for the rear is £280! In the meantime I will get two new tyres fitted as they are both illegal & then see how I get on negotiating with the dealership once they've completed their checks.

If anybody else has any further advice, I'd appreciate your opinion.

Cheers. Rob.
All BMWs wear out on the inside first in the rear and the outside and inside in the front. It's just the way the suspension is engineered -- no alignment problems. I've had four 5 series V8's and they all wore in the same pattern.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
relic
United_States
Rep

I beg to differ with Vinfast that such wear is normal. With wider rims alignment is more critical but that is all.

I also beg to differ with BaltimoreGT. The Pirelli P-Zero runflats on 20" rims are excellent summer tires and the slightly stronger side do not detract from performance

Just my opinions after 250,000 miles in BMWs, including quite a few track days
      06-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I beg to differ with Vinfast that such wear is normal. With wider rims alignment is more critical but that is all.

I also beg to differ with BaltimoreGT. The Pirelli P-Zero runflats on 20" rims are excellent summer tires and the slightly stronger side do not detract from performance

Just my opinions after 250,000 miles in BMWs, including quite a few track days
Since all my BMW's tires have worn the same pattern, wouldn't one think that it would have to do with suspension geometry? I don't think all my BMW's have been "out of alignment". It's quite obviously that the rear suspension sits inward which will wear on the inside of the tire. Of course, the harder you drive, as in my case, the faster the wear.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Update on my rear tyre issues.

So I've had the rear tyres replaced & at the same time, BMW completed a rear suspension alignment check (KDS test). This came back stating that the rear suspension was correctly aligned so still no explanation for the rears wearing to the cord on the inside edge. As we know, the GT is quite a rare car but, a chap who lives half a mile from me has one too so I called in to see him & guess what, he has had exactly the same problems as me with uneven wear however unfortunately, he only found out after having a double blow out of both tyres whilst on the motorway in April this year.

Interestingly, he uses the same BMW garage as me & when I asked them a couple of weeks ago if they had observed similar problems, they said no, never. This is the first time. This was not true as his car had been in only weeks earlier!! A convenient case of amnesia it seems...

We have both been in together to speak with the BMW service manager & she has acknowledged that this does not seem to be an isolated fault. A BMW technical manager will be coming to inspect both of our cars in the next couple of weeks. They also suggested that the rear suspension was intentionally set up with an adverse camber (similar to an M3 or M5) to provide maximum grip when cornering. Now this is a 2 ton car & we have suggested that the weight of the car is putting too much pressure on the inner edge. We'll wait & see what comes of the inspection.

I therefore need some help from other GT owners with 20 inch rims:

1. From a safety point of view, I would suggest that either you or a qualified tyre technician inspects your rear tyres for signs of uneven wear. At the same time, it might suggest that there isn't a wider issue too but if like me when you check your tyres & see lots of tread across the middle section & assume all is well, better to be safe than sorry.

2. I would appreciate it if any UK GT owners with 20 inch rims who does find uneven wear would message me with further info as this will give collective strength to this case with BMW for all of our benefit as this will clearly highlight a wider problem affecting the GT which will need to be rectified.

Many thanks.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #10
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Update on my rear tyre issues.

So I've had the rear tyres replaced & at the same time, BMW completed a rear suspension alignment check (KDS test). This came back stating that the rear suspension was correctly aligned so still no explanation for the rears wearing to the cord on the inside edge. As we know, the GT is quite a rare car but, a chap who lives half a mile from me has one too so I called in to see him & guess what, he has had exactly the same problems as me with uneven wear however unfortunately, he only found out after having a double blow out of both tyres whilst on the motorway in April this year.

Interestingly, he uses the same BMW garage as me & when I asked them a couple of weeks ago if they had observed similar problems, they said no, never. This is the first time. This was not true as his car had been in only weeks earlier!! A convenient case of amnesia it seems...

We have both been in together to speak with the BMW service manager & she has acknowledged that this does not seem to be an isolated fault. A BMW technical manager will be coming to inspect both of our cars in the next couple of weeks. They also suggested that the rear suspension was intentionally set up with an adverse camber (similar to an M3 or M5) to provide maximum grip when cornering. Now this is a 2 ton car & we have suggested that the weight of the car is putting too much pressure on the inner edge. We'll wait & see what comes of the inspection.

I therefore need some help from other GT owners with 20 inch rims:

1. From a safety point of view, I would suggest that either you or a qualified tyre technician inspects your rear tyres for signs of uneven wear. At the same time, it might suggest that there isn't a wider issue too but if like me when you check your tyres & see lots of tread across the middle section & assume all is well, better to be safe than sorry.

2. I would appreciate it if any UK GT owners with 20 inch rims who does find uneven wear would message me with further info as this will give collective strength to this case with BMW for all of our benefit as this will clearly highlight a wider problem affecting the GT which will need to be rectified.

Many thanks.

Rob

++1 USA OWNER

Rear Goodyear Excellence RFT's worn on the inside (cords showing) - middle and outside surfaces did not exhibit excessive wear. Tires replaced at about 15,000 miles to Nitto INVO. Alignment tech suggested that alignment issues were due to factory settings. Front tires exhibited no such wear. I now have 21,200 miles tires wearing evenly. More grip, better ride all pluses post RFT's
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
relic
United_States
Rep

Just checked my rears with 10,000 miles. Even wear across full width on P Zeroes on 20" rims
      07-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #12
Noodles23
Private
Rep
Drives: 530D GT

Quote:
My car has exactly the same origin, Ex BMW car with 6k on the clock & 20" wheels shot with Pirelli P Zeros. It now has almost 21k and after reading this post I thought I'd better get the tyres checked.

Rear tyres have 2mm left, so thats around 2k miles before they reach the UK legal limit, and wear is even across the tyre. Front tyres have 5mm left, even wear again.

If I can get 23k out of the rears and 45k out of the fronts then uneven wear needing replacement at 15k obviously indicates a problem which I would hold BMW responsible for, especially as they seem to have added a 70% mark up to the cost of the tyres over what you might pay at an independent dealer!.Probably the same logic as hotel minibars, the more you can afford to pay in the first place the more they can try to stiff you on extras.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #13
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks to everyone who has come back to me so far. It appears that Pirelli P Zero's are doing a good job as opposed to the Goodyear Excellence tyres fitted to my GT from manufacture. There are now 3 of us who live fairly local to each other with exactly the same problem - all with Goodyear's. I am in the process of writing to the MD of BMW UK to present a case with the expectation that this will be investigated.

Any other info from fellow GT owners would be gratefully received.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
garystewartdms
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d GT

530d GT with inside of rear tyres wearing away

Am I glad to find this posting. 19,000 motorway miles, car just been in for a oil service to be told by the representitve that I need 2 new rear tyres, the outside and middle measure 5MM each yet the inner edge is almost non-existent???

I do a few miles but mostly motorway, average 39.6mpg so clearly am not driving it like an M5 - strangely no wear on the front, which do the pointing and parking. That will be £350 plus plus per tyre sir. So I take it to a garage on the way home, they take one look and say you need to talk to BMW as this clearly is not correct, totally abnormal wear.

What do you need from me to help you in contacting BMW to progress this.

Gary
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Gary

Please PM me your contact details as I have today written to the MD of BMW UK on behalf of myself & 2 other GT drivers who are local to me & I would like to add your details to the case. Also, please advise what brand of tyres were fitted to your GT originally as it seems that the problems are with Goodyear Excellence. Pirelli P Zero's don't seem to be showing excessive wear & I replaced my Goodyear's with Pirelli's. For info, I obtained mine from Kwik Fit online (much cheaper online than going to the depot directly), & they are delivered to & fitted by your local Kwik Fit centre.

Finally, make sure you keep your old tyres as your BMW dealer may want to send them back for analysis. My old tyres are with Goodyear now & another set arriving will only help the case.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Rob

Last edited by bickers1972; 07-18-2011 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #16
PaulHood
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 530d SE GT N57 3.0d

F07 530d SE GT rear tyres

Gary,

Same thing has happened to me today! Car, which is 10 months old and has done 14 300 miles, went to BMW dealer in Newcastle for a check on a slight issue. Telephoned at mid day by service dept saying I needed to replace all 4 tyres and 2 rears were un safe and down to the cords. After a bust up with the dealer I took the car to my local Kwik Fit who inspected the tyres. Indeed 2 rears were as bad as they said but fronts were worn but OK. My tyres are Continental Contisport Contact 3, 245/50R18 100Y run flats. Kwik Fit are fitting 2 new Pirelli P Zeros tomorrow costing me £460.00 for the pair but at least I might get more miles out of these!

During my bust up with the dealer I got the same responce as you that they had never seen this problem before. They ofered to check my car over for wheel allignment for £120 but only after I had new tyres fitted! Considering what I've read this is obviously not an isolated incident and I would appreciate any additional information you may have as I'm not inclined to let this lie.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #17
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

It's not generally a good idea to use different tire designs on different axles. If it was allwheel drive (x-drive) you'd have the additional hassle of different diameters, which can put a significant stress on the differentials.

Mine is new, hopefully, whatever is causing this was 'fixed' along the way (built this April and only has a few thousand miles on it).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 01:18 AM   #18
bickers1972
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHood View Post
Gary,

Same thing has happened to me today! Car, which is 10 months old and has done 14 300 miles, went to BMW dealer in Newcastle for a check on a slight issue. Telephoned at mid day by service dept saying I needed to replace all 4 tyres and 2 rears were un safe and down to the cords. After a bust up with the dealer I took the car to my local Kwik Fit who inspected the tyres. Indeed 2 rears were as bad as they said but fronts were worn but OK. My tyres are Continental Contisport Contact 3, 245/50R18 100Y run flats. Kwik Fit are fitting 2 new Pirelli P Zeros tomorrow costing me £460.00 for the pair but at least I might get more miles out of these!

During my bust up with the dealer I got the same responce as you that they had never seen this problem before. They ofered to check my car over for wheel allignment for £120 but only after I had new tyres fitted! Considering what I've read this is obviously not an isolated incident and I would appreciate any additional information you may have as I'm not inclined to let this lie.

Paul
Hi Paul

Please PM me your contact details & I'll bring you up to speed with where we are with BMW UK.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
garystewartdms
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d GT

GT rear gyres and BMW customer services

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the contact. I have spoken with CS today and the approach appears to be that no GT drivers are capable of checking tyre pressures or avoiding pot holes in the road. I even had 'it is due to the bad winter we had' and the condition of the roads.

I will be writing to BMW directly now as this is my 5th BMW on the trot and at this rate will be the last. I just can't believe the way they speak to a loyal customers, disappointing really as I was chuffed with the GT, so different but there is clearly an issue and putting your head in the sand is not going to make it go away.

Let me know if you need any information.

Gary
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #20
PaulHood
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F07 530d SE GT N57 3.0d

GT rear tyres and customer service

Rob/Gary,

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay but I've been out of the country. I'll PM my details once I've worked out how to do it! I'm new to all of this but understand that posting my details here isnt a good idea.

Customer service from my local BMW dealer has gone way downhill. They were a good local outfit until recently but have been taken over by Lloyds so I dont know if that has anything to do with the poor attitude. But hey, every cloud's got a silver lining - I came home today to the usual load of mail and guess what was in the pile? YES - a customer survey of how my recent visit went to the BMW dealer on 20/7/11. I never thought I'd be over joyed to receive one of these! I'm going to save it until after the GP on Sunday. Let's hope JB or LH win or it's trouble for Lloyds!!! I guess no one even opens the replies and they're sent directly to the bin but at least I'll enjoy filling it in. Worth £460 of anyone's money (NOT).

Paul
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #21
LauseyBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 5Gt/F07

Hi Rob,

I have had the same problem with my rear tyres on the 5gt... can you advise if you managed to get anywhere with BMW UK?

Many Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #22
RussGT530
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530 GT

Extream Tyre Wear

Hi, this sounds like the same old story. I have a 530 GT and have just had my tyres checked at BMW Oldbury. (Guess what ?) there is very good tread on the outside of the rear tyres yet on the far inside edge the tyres are down to the cord. I bought the car from BMW at approx 8000 miles and it only has 18000 miles now. The front tyres are in very good condition (may be a third through their life). I have been told that there is a slight scuff on the wheel, so I may have knocked the wheel out of alighnment. Yet it is clear that both tyres are in the same condition. SOMETHING needs to be done as my three children travel in this car, up and down the M5 and the tyres are clearly dangerous yet BMW do not want to take any resposibility.

My local garage seem happy to back me if I want to go to my local paper and see if they are interested in a story, what do you think ?
Appreciate 0