2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW 5 series gone in 60 seconds...

10-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #23
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Series 5 520d se f10

Or you may need one of these devices, which is 100% legal in South Africa (and only there):

If this was legal over here in the UK, I think the youngsters would be petrified...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #24
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico2014 View Post
Or you may need one of these devices, which is 100% legal in South Africa (and only there):

If this was legal over here in the UK, I think the youngsters would be petrified...
Fry one and the rest will get the message!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #25
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

yes but then the wonderful justice system we have here in the UK will see the victim get done for assault and excessive force, the general advice is dont fight back not for fear of being attacked back, rather the victim getting sued by the thug who you just smacked. This is why England is so great, everyone gets to have a go !!

By the way the local MP is a leftist waste of space, who will probably suggest drive a prius if you dont like the heat.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #26
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The Law needs reviewing with these kids who are abusing the system. Sad really...[/QUOTE]

These kids need to be sent to the middle east for a few years to practice their game, when then start loosing vital parts of their body one by one their outlook will change, come to think of it this idea can be a foreign trade initiative now that we are looking for new markets and partners
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #27
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
yes but then the wonderful justice system we have here in the UK will see the victim get done for assault and excessive force, the general advice is dont fight back not for fear of being attacked back, rather the victim getting sued by the thug who you just smacked. This is why England is so great, everyone gets to have a go !!

By the way the local MP is a leftist waste of space, who will probably suggest drive a prius if you dont like the heat.
Oh dear, no wonder why this is going worst. The suggestion is of poor taste, Prius?? Never in a million years... Been a passenger once (taxi) and the ride and feel was just so boring... Nothing exciting to drive, except viewing batteries working on and off (is this really exciting to know on the screen??) - I hate this car.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 03:48 PM   #28
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
These kids need to be sent to the middle east for a few years to practice their game, when then start loosing vital parts of their body one by one their outlook will change, come to think of it this idea can be a foreign trade initiative now that we are looking for new markets and partners
This would be quite a good idea, or send them for 2 weeks in a poor country, where they would have to adapt like the poor kids food wise, and how they have to survive - I think it would send them a strong message to the core and they would be back as a different person (trust me - I have been to Africa (Gabon) once and I know what I experienced. There is a smell they would never forget, and they will realised how lucky and spoilt we are in Europe afterward.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 06:18 AM   #29
pemz
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F30 ... G30 soon

This is why I never take Comfort Access.
      11-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #30
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemz View Post
This is why I never take Comfort Access.
I understand this, but I refuse to let thieves dictate what I can own.

I also figure that if they want it, they'll find a way to get it. We've seen some innovative thefts in the last few years and most only need keyless drive which is standard, and not comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #31
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
hi everyone,

I just read an article on daily mail confirming recent thefts in North London, where thieves seem to know how to exploit a weakness with keyless entry... There is a video also showing how the 2 thieves work together, one is using a flat antenna waving towards the front house door, which leads me to think he was trying to activate the car to star its engine with car key inside the house. Quite frightening and shocking how easy this appears to steal a great brand car. Some viewers suggest that the car key is key inside a microwave or wrapped in a kitchen foil to prevent key to activate the car... I do not know if BMW are aware of this security weakness, but they must address it in my view quite quickly...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...MW-MINUTE.html
Well, our keys have two modes of operation:

ACTIVE: The battery in the key serves to encode the raw RFID signal. Extra security can be encoded in the data stream. Plus, the key, in active mode responds to pings from the car to ensure it is in vicinity of the car. It's not too strong so that the cars transceivers can determine where the key is, outside the car and not in the car or in the trunk.

Passive mode: This mode passes the raw rfid signal from the remote to the vehicle without battery. This is similar to rfid. Since no battery power is used, proximity is important and you hold the key close to the area on the steering column.

The active and passive methods can generate completely different codes using differing methodologies.

Now, since the video shows the door opening that tells me they are using th active code to amplify and transmit.

This means you might be able to protect yourself by taking the battery out of your FOBS at night.

The passive mode is not used for unlocking the car; hence, the reason for the metal key inside your fob.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #32
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Well, our keys have two modes of operation:

ACTIVE: The battery in the key serves to encode the raw RFID signal. Extra security can be encoded in the data stream. Plus, the key, in active mode responds to pings from the car to ensure it is in vicinity of the car. It's not too strong so that the cars transceivers can determine where the key is, outside the car and not in the car or in the trunk.

Passive mode: This mode passes the raw rfid signal from the remote to the vehicle without battery. This is similar to rfid. Since no battery power is used, proximity is important and you hold the key close to the area on the steering column.

The active and passive methods can generate completely different codes using differing methodologies.

Now, since the video shows the door opening that tells me they are using th active code to amplify and transmit.

This means you might be able to protect yourself by taking the battery out of your FOBS at night.

The passive mode is not used for unlocking the car; hence, the reason for the metal key inside your fob.

This is very interesting - thanks for sharing your knowledge. Am I right to say that if you remove the battery for a long period of time, the data held in the car fob would be lost? As far as I am aware, the data I am talking about is mileage of the car, what service and where the car has had...
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 12:50 PM   #33
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is very interesting - thanks for sharing your knowledge. Am I right to say that if you remove the battery for a long period of time, the data held in the car fob would be lost? As far as I am aware, the data I am talking about is mileage of the car, what service and where the car has had...
Or, like I said in the second post:

Quote:
A £5 RFID blocking pouch from Amazon will keep the keys 'dead' effectively - no signal being transmitted so no signal to be boosted. I use one and the key isn't recognised when standing right next to the car when its in the pouch, the signal is blocked completely
No need to faff about taking out batteries.

Use this even if you don't have comfort access, because they can just break the window and amplify the signal for keyless go.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 09:16 PM   #34
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Quote:
Or, like I said in the second post:

Quote:
A £5 RFID blocking pouch from Amazon will keep the keys 'dead' effectively - no signal being transmitted so no signal to be boosted. I use one and the key isn't recognised when standing right next to the car when its in the pouch, the signal is blocked completely
No need to faff about taking out batteries.

Use this even if you don't have comfort access, because they can just break the window and amplify the signal for keyless go.
Hmm, I think an RFID pouch would protect your fob from being interrogated on passive mode.

However, a fob with a battery is no longer a passive RFID, it's a freaking transmitter. So, I think the RFID pouch would be largely ineffective with an active transmitter.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #35
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

I cannot comment about the active vs passive mode discussion above; but I have only today received a RFID pouch that I bought from Amazon, based on previous feedback from others in this thread.

Just tested it and it works a treat. Stood next to car, with fob in pouch right next to door handle, and absolutely nothing happened when I touched the handle with my other hand, not even the clicking sound.

Took key fob out, held next to door handle, touched door handle with other hand and car unlocked immediately... I did this a few times; all with the same result.

Hence, as far as I am concerned, the pouch works!

Thanks mobilejo for the heads-up!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #36
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
I cannot comment about the active vs passive mode discussion above; but I have only today received a RFID pouch that I bought from Amazon, based on previous feedback from others in this thread.

Just tested it and it works a treat. Stood next to car, with fob in pouch right next to door handle, and absolutely nothing happened when I touched the handle with my other hand, not even the clicking sound.

Took key fob out, held next to door handle, touched door handle with other hand and car unlocked immediately... I did this a few times; all with the same result.

All these security risks now convinced me to purchase a new RFID blocking pouch from Amazon, which I just received this morning...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #37
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post

I need to track down the Amazon seller & claim myself a commission from all of these sales methinks!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #38
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Or you fit the Autowatch ghost system that renders the car immobile until you enter your unique user code, so even with a key the cars not going anywhere, this will give you sufficient time to arm yourself and cause the little scumbag some pain !!

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 09:49 AM   #39
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Or you fit the Autowatch ghost system that renders the car immobile until you enter your unique user code, so even with a key the cars not going anywhere, this will give you sufficient time to arm yourself and cause the little scumbag some pain !!

This is smart.

Is it a simple plug & play or does it need a more invasive installation? I've looked on the website and there are no instructions, so I'm guessing the latter. Which then makes me think of potential warranty issues if you have any immobiliser/security faults.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #40
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

There is no warranty issues with the vehicle if fitted right, it a very un-invasive installation that takes about and hour and a half, the product is sold and fitted via a select few installers up and down the UK for about £400. As it gives off no signal its not detectable (in theory) to any tracking / jamming device. This is not a new concept though perhaps the best one in the market place at the moment. Worth the money in my view

By the way it was invented in South Africa !!

Last edited by Taheemr; 11-11-2017 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0