2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW 5 series gone in 60 seconds...

10-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #1
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Series 5 520d se f10

BMW 5 series gone in 60 seconds...

hi everyone,

I just read an article on daily mail confirming recent thefts in North London, where thieves seem to know how to exploit a weakness with keyless entry... There is a video also showing how the 2 thieves work together, one is using a flat antenna waving towards the front house door, which leads me to think he was trying to activate the car to star its engine with car key inside the house. Quite frightening and shocking how easy this appears to steal a great brand car. Some viewers suggest that the car key is key inside a microwave or wrapped in a kitchen foil to prevent key to activate the car... I do not know if BMW are aware of this security weakness, but they must address it in my view quite quickly...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...MW-MINUTE.html
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico2014 View Post
hi everyone,

I just read an article on daily mail confirming recent thefts in North London, where thieves seem to know how to exploit a weakness with keyless entry... There is a video also showing how the 2 thieves work together, one is using a flat antenna waving towards the front house door, which leads me to think he was trying to activate the car to star its engine with car key inside the house. Quite frightening and shocking how easy this appears to steal a great brand car. Some viewers suggest that the car key is key inside a microwave or wrapped in a kitchen foil to prevent key to activate the car... I do not know if BMW are aware of this security weakness, but they must address it in my view quite quickly...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...MW-MINUTE.html
Don't know if there is anyway for the manufacturer to create an RF signal cannot be boosted in this way. This technique works on almost all keyless drive cars by the way.

A £5 RFID blocking pouch from Amazon will keep the keys 'dead' effectively - no signal being transmitted so no signal to be boosted. I use one and the key isn't recognised when standing right next to the car when its in the pouch, the signal is blocked completely.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

This is old news, years old if you research it so I'm sure BMW is aware.
I'm also sure that they are not the only ones affected.
The is the old adage that still holds true, What can be done, can be undone.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

It was common years ago for them to program a blank key via the obd in a few minutes and take it that way. Bmw pretended that wasn't a widespread issue back then. Sure they (and the other manufacturers) will do the same now...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

Haven't read this particular article; but I saw something last week in the London Evening Standard where the difference was that Comfort Access cars were specifically at risk; as opposed to the 'old' OBD tricks.

The gist was as follows (I do not recall it all 100%) -
The thieves were somehow scanning houses for the key and then somehow repeating/amplifying the signal to fool the car into thinking they had the key on them.

This would allow them to get in and start the car and drive off. They would not be able to start it again once away from the owner's premises; so assumption they were being stolen for parts...

If I remember correctly...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Not sure if this is the same a couple or 3 years ago when it was raised by the BBC consumer show, a big number of BM's stolen this way, BMW came up with the a software upgrade my dealer installed it as part of upgrade patch, so worth checking the version in your cars and make sure is latest.
a tread in this forum was on, I put the link once get the chance to find it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:47 AM   #7
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Not sure if this is the same a couple or 3 years ago when it was raised by the BBC consumer show, a big number of BM's stolen this way, BMW came up with the a software upgrade my dealer installed it as part of upgrade patch, so worth checking the version in your cars and make sure is latest.
a tread in this forum was on, I put the link once get the chance to find it.
Thanks for this info. Will check with mine...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:50 AM   #8
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
Haven't read this particular article; but I saw something last week in the London Evening Standard where the difference was that Comfort Access cars were specifically at risk; as opposed to the 'old' OBD tricks.

The gist was as follows (I do not recall it all 100%) -
The thieves were somehow scanning houses for the key and then somehow repeating/amplifying the signal to fool the car into thinking they had the key on them.

This would allow them to get in and start the car and drive off. They would not be able to start it again once away from the owner's premises; so assumption they were being stolen for parts...

If I remember correctly...
That is correct, I saw this too... I wonder how far can the car drive without the key though. Would the car stop at some point? If thieves come with another larger vehicle then it would be the way for them to run away with it...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

The scum in Bham dont do cloning devices anymore or break into homes for keys, instead the are resorting to more tried and tested methods like following you home before taking to you with metal poles, its so blatant here in Bham with thefts at all times of the day, take a look a the below,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...ing-in-shirley
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #10
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

I'd like to know what the thing is with unlocking by reaching below the door... The motion light comes on and messes up the camera, but I think it's a proper unlock (with the hazards doing a double flash).
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I'd like to know what the thing is with unlocking by reaching below the door... The motion light comes on and messes up the camera, but I think it's a proper unlock (with the hazards doing a double flash).
It is a proper unlock - the signal from the key has been amplified so the car thinks its nearby.

Looks like he is putting a screwdriver on the floor.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
It is a proper unlock - the signal from the key has been amplified so the car thinks its nearby.

Looks like he is putting a screwdriver on the floor.
I get the amplified thing. The guy with the square plate that's a repeater or something. He hasn't even started searching for the key signal yet at that part of the video though. If the doors unlock when they're just walking up the driveway, I wouldn't think it would be so hard to get the car to start.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 06:18 PM   #13
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I get the amplified thing. The guy with the square plate that's a repeater or something. He hasn't even started searching for the key signal yet at that part of the video though. If the doors unlock when they're just walking up the driveway, I wouldn't think it would be so hard to get the car to start.
Good point there.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #14
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
The scum in Bham dont do cloning devices anymore or break into homes for keys, instead the are resorting to more tried and tested methods like following you home before taking to you with metal poles, its so blatant here in Bham with thefts at all times of the day, take a look a the below,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...ing-in-shirley
Just saw the link, and quite frankly, it is disgusting and seriously alarming. I really feel for the poor guy who now wants to sell his car. It should not be that way, he must have worked hard to save up or dreamed about this car for a while. No one should be having a prejudice towards someone who owns a nice car.

It is sad that nowadays, those who won't work (simply lazy) but want to have it regardless and will use violence should be punished severely or ban from driving for life. I do hope they will get caught.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 03:10 AM   #15
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico2014 View Post
Just saw the link, and quite frankly, it is disgusting and seriously alarming. I really feel for the poor guy who now wants to sell his car. It should not be that way, he must have worked hard to save up or dreamed about this car for a while. No one should be having a prejudice towards someone who owns a nice car.

It is sad that nowadays, those who won't work (simply lazy) but want to have it regardless and will use violence should be punished severely or ban from driving for life. I do hope they will get caught.

Its a vicious circle, first the cars are stolen and sent abroad, before they would be shipped in containers, now they are being driven across with false paperwork. So imagine that the stolen car market now has also to be fed with spare parts too, ive heard stories of cars being taken abroad for trim bits, once this parts are removed the vehicles are dumped by the road side ready for the next taker, that makes it all the worse, these expensive models being sold for peanuts.

Sadly the days of people appreciating something nice have gone south, instead some little git wants to get hes grubby little hands on it for free, you perhaps saw my thread earlier this year where my 6 month old M6 was vandalised on the drive simply because i asked someone not to block my drive.

I have a solution that would stop this issue, but it cant be aired on an open forum !!

Stay safe
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 03:50 AM   #16
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Its a vicious circle, first the cars are stolen and sent abroad, before they would be shipped in containers, now they are being driven across with false paperwork. So imagine that the stolen car market now has also to be fed with spare parts too, ive heard stories of cars being taken abroad for trim bits, once this parts are removed the vehicles are dumped by the road side ready for the next taker, that makes it all the worse, these expensive models being sold for peanuts.

Sadly the days of people appreciating something nice have gone south, instead some little git wants to get hes grubby little hands on it for free, you perhaps saw my thread earlier this year where my 6 month old M6 was vandalised on the drive simply because i asked someone not to block my drive.

I have a solution that would stop this issue, but it cant be aired on an open forum !!

Stay safe
Dear Taheem, I did not know this happened to your M6, I would be outraged. I am going to check your thread now...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 04:00 AM   #17
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dear Taheem,
I just read your thread (http://www.6post.com/forums/showthre...=m6+vandalised) and it is appalling. So sorry to hear this. I blame the parents leaving their kids out on the street because they could not be bothered to raise them. It is a disgrace and these kids are vicious and careless. So wrong, you worked hard to earn this beautiful car. Have you thought of moving out of Birmingham?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 05:08 AM   #18
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes have thought about moving out, constraint is that the kids are at a critical age in their schooling so it wont be for another 2 yrs at least.

I actually placed an order on a 435d for the wife last week on a Thursday and that same weekend there were about 6 cases of violent theft, this was enough to have me cancel the order, the worlds gone mad sadly !!, anyways onwards and upwards as they say.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #19
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes have thought about moving out, constraint is that the kids are at a critical age in their schooling so it wont be for another 2 yrs at least.

I actually placed an order on a 435d for the wife last week on a Thursday and that same weekend there were about 6 cases of violent theft, this was enough to have me cancel the order, the worlds gone mad sadly !!, anyways onwards and upwards as they say.
What a shame - I don't know what else to say. Is the Police actively trying to put a final stop to this madness? Or, it will simply get worst and worst, risking anyone's life I am afraid. After all, it is the Police work to do all they can to put criminals behind bars... I also assume car insurance will be going up like crazy if they know certain post codes are prime areas for car thefts.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 08:43 AM   #20
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The police are fighting a loosing battle, these gangs are using 14-17 year olds that cant even be named let alone fully convicted , they get paid about £250 each per car so thats plenty to spend on ganja and a few bottles of cider. The crims are well aware of the reduced policing numbers and take full advantage. I had c£30k worth of damage and the police didn't even come by to take a statement let alone follow up on CCTV footage or indeed question my neighbours who these scum bags were visiting.

A police friend of mine openly admits unless there is a 100% chance of conviction then not to bring these people in, just a road side caution will do.

The issue is that they are getting more and more violent in the process, of course this issue is not unique to Bham though it seems to have spiked over the las few months, its perhaps even more risky to break into homes so better easier and quicker to pull off attacks when vulnerable people are out and about.

So all in all its a sad state of affairs and really takes the fun out of enjoying these little pleasures we all work so hard for.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #21
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

You guys need this!!

I could point out that there is s direct correlation between your being overrun with a certain type of "refugee" and the increase in crime... but I won't.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #22
Nico2014
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The police are fighting a loosing battle, these gangs are using 14-17 year olds that cant even be named let alone fully convicted , they get paid about £250 each per car so thats plenty to spend on ganja and a few bottles of cider. The crims are well aware of the reduced policing numbers and take full advantage. I had c£30k worth of damage and the police didn't even come by to take a statement let alone follow up on CCTV footage or indeed question my neighbours who these scum bags were visiting.

A police friend of mine openly admits unless there is a 100% chance of conviction then not to bring these people in, just a road side caution will do.

The issue is that they are getting more and more violent in the process, of course this issue is not unique to Bham though it seems to have spiked over the las few months, its perhaps even more risky to break into homes so better easier and quicker to pull off attacks when vulnerable people are out and about.

So all in all its a sad state of affairs and really takes the fun out of enjoying these little pleasures we all work so hard for.
Something has gone wrong here. I live in London and we would be making serious fuss if Police were unable to respond. And I agree with you, it is a disgrace that the Police could not even bother to attend and take a statement, check the CCTV. If I were you, I would report this to your local MP to raise some serious concerns.

The Law needs reviewing with these kids who are abusing the system. Sad really...
Appreciate 0