2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Equipment Telltales

06-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Marsden
Chief Petty Officer
Rep
Drives: E90

Equipment Telltales

Greetings: I'm looking at low-mileage 2011-12 F10s online but it's hard to tell which ones have which equipment. Dealers can't be bothered to list equipment (much less accurately) and if you phone them up you'll wait on line forever just to talk to someone who doesn't have a clue about any cars, much less the one you're interested in.

So I'm left with examining photos. What major telltales are there? For example, I can tell from this photo that the car has multi-contour seats (a big plus).

NAV is easy to tell but how can I tell if it has a rear-window sunscreen? Is that (only) included in the same P2 package? How can I tell about CA? ACC?

I guess if someone can direct me to a 2011/12 brochure online that might help too. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
Greetings: I'm looking at low-mileage 2011-12 F10s online but it's hard to tell which ones have which equipment. Dealers can't be bothered to list equipment (much less accurately) and if you phone them up you'll wait on line forever just to talk to someone who doesn't have a clue about any cars, much less the one you're interested in.

So I'm left with examining photos. What major telltales are there? For example, I can tell from this photo that the car has multi-contour seats (a big plus).

NAV is easy to tell but how can I tell if it has a rear-window sunscreen? Is that (only) included in the same P2 package? How can I tell about CA? ACC?

I guess if someone can direct me to a 2011/12 brochure online that might help too. TIA.
Easiest Way is to take the last 7 of the VIN # you are interested in buying and run it through a vin-decoder like:

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

If you want ... I have a dealer subscription to CarFax, so I can run that for you @ No Charge as well if needed

--Antonio
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep

2011 M-Sports will include Dynamic Handling Package (a must in my opinion) where it was an option separate from M-Sport on 2012+
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #4
Marsden
Chief Petty Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpusher84 View Post
Easiest Way is to take the last 7 of the VIN # you are interested in buying and run it through a vin-decoder like:

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/
Thanks about the VIN decoder. I forgot all about that!

And thanks about your other offer as well
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

The VIN decoder is absolutely the best and surest way to get an options list.

Your next problem is really determining which options are critical, of course. My car is pretty well optioned, so I've experienced (and live with daily) most of what's offered. For what it's worth (0.02c!), here's a few opinions:

- Dynamic Handling Package (DHP): this is one of my favorite features. After living with sport suspensions on 3-series cars for so many years, this is a really welcome alternative. You can have stiff/sport when the mood fits, or you can switch to Comfort or Comfort+ and have a soft and comfortable ride. The Active Roll Stabilization (ARS), part of the DHP that keeps the car from rolling in turns, also works quite well.

- Active Cruise Control (ACC): I was the guy who NEVER used cruise control... and I mean NEVER. I couldn't even tell you if it worked on my previous cars, because I NEVER used it. I couldn't stand to turn it on and off each time traffic interrupted. ACC is totally different - and I use it once or twice a week now minimum. If you drive any lengthy distances, it's great... especially when you're just a bit tired and could benefit from the car keeping the pace for you.

- Driver Assistance Plus: otherwise known as "the nanny systems"... collision warning and blind spot detection are GREAT. So great, in fact, I think they just deserve to be standard equipment. Everyone, no matter how great a driver and how attentive, will have that one lapse of attention - and these systems can mean the difference between an accident or a close call. The lane departure warning is just "ok" but comes with the DAP package.

- Heads Up Display (HUD): wonderful. I now feel like I'm driving "naked" when getting into cars without it. Depending upon what model F10 you get, it may come in different packages. It's not necessary by any stretch of the imagination, but it's very useful. It really does keep your eyes on the road, especially when using navigation - instructions are right in your field of view.

- Navigation: Obvious enough - no 5 series should have ever been produced without it in this day... and they rectified that later.

- Multi-Contour Seats: they're worth the money. The number of adjustments can make the seat "just right" as opposed to "almost right."

- Ventilated / Active Seats: in my car they were part of the "luxury seating package" along with the multi-contour seats. This is clearly just a nice to have. I've found the ventilation useful on hot days now, especially when in a suit - keeps you from sweating like a pig. The active seats are nice, but they're almost unnecessary as the multi-contour seats are so comfortable that fatigue sets-in much later than in other types of seats.

Many of these things you can also identify from the right photos... knowing where to look for optional buttons (like the nanny system buttons or ventilated seats buttons, etc), but the VIN decoder is the best way to go. It's still probably useful to know what to look for if the dealer doesn't post the VIN, and you want to quickly rule a car "in or out" based solely on photos.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Marsden
Chief Petty Officer
Rep

Thanks for the thoughts. DHP seems to be pretty rare. I've looked up twelve cars so far and not one had it, even 550i models. Most don't have most or any of the ones you listed, except Nav. Hmm.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. DHP seems to be pretty rare. I've looked up twelve cars so far and not one had it, even 550i models. Most don't have most or any of the ones you listed, except Nav. Hmm.
DHP is pretty rare simply because it's expensive - something like $3,500 if I recall. But it's worth every penny to get the best possible ride out of the 5-series. But the passive sport suspension is also great, too. I'd just probably stay away from cars without either DHP or passive sport suspension since the "standard" is a bit cushy on the pre-LCI cars.

ACC isn't as expensive as DHP, but I think most buyers would categorize it as a nicety versus necessity. But, as I said, if you drive long distances with any frequency, I think it's a worthy option to seek out. Again, I'd expect it to be more rare, though.

The rest of the options are probably more popular - like HUD, navigation, multi-contour seats, etc. Maybe widen your search radius?

You can also pop into your local BMW dealer and take a car for a test drive, play with the options, etc, to see what you like. The 2014's (LCI) have a few new options (e.g. LED headlights), but for the most part they're very close option-wise to the pre-LCI cars. So, it's probably a decent way to really see what these options are all about so you can prioritize what you'd want. In fact, I'd highly recommend it. Some of them you just need to experience to appreciate... and in other cases, perhaps to realize that you DON'T appreciate them.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:58 PM   #8
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep

As ezmaass stated ... DHP, HUD & Multi-Contour are Must-Haves along with the obvious navi system ... everything else IMHO is nice-to-have, although my 550xi as well is fully optioned @ $89k with LED headlights and all the nanny non-sense

DHP will be a rarity to find .. like I previously stated ... 2011 w/ M-Sport will include it, as the M-Sport option was like a $6 or $6.5k package on my '11 535xi

I personally will never order a BMW without Navi, HUD or Multi-Contour seats again ... once you have all these, you will be spoiled rotten at how wonderful hte technology is on a daily basis
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #9
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep

What is your budget? Do you want 528, 535 or 550 ... AWD or RWD?

I can tell you that a fully optioned 2011 535 M-Sport X-Drive that is a CPO BMW should be listed @ around $43k for the Northeast USA market, and should be able to be had for around $39k with an original MSRP of ~~$71k
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #10
Jeanny5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition M xdrive

Purchased a 2013 535 late last year. I'd consider the tech features...BMW has lacked in this department. Idrive version 1 in my 2008 335i sport...almost a 50k car and a DVD navi??

Anyway, the connected drive/nbt version is a huge step up. Early f10s may not have those units as it was released 2012.

For daily driving, the xi/standard suspension on 19s is sporty enough.

I'm waiting for dinan stage 1 to take sport mode to a whole new level!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
Reallybro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M-Sport AW

There's also another vin decoder site that has a lot of useful info, plus you can save your equipment list as a PDF. It's www.bmwarchive.org
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

In addition to these sides, does anyone have a good list of the actual 3/4-digit codes for the options on the car? Most of the ones I see online aren't complete really.
      07-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
In addition to these sides, does anyone have a good list of the actual 3/4-digit codes for the options on the car? Most of the ones I see online aren't complete really.
Problem with these are that they change.
A list for a 2011 and a 2014 is very different.
Using such a list to pick a car will be difficult as the option you decided as a "must have" may not even be available on certain models, the option may have evolved and got a new code, so you may be looking for a model year and an option that dont even excist.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Problem with these are that they change.
A list for a 2011 and a 2014 is very different.
Using such a list to pick a car will be difficult as the option you decided as a "must have" may not even be available on certain models, the option may have evolved and got a new code, so you may be looking for a model year and an option that dont even excist.
Not really ... Except what some packages include

Use a vin decoder to decode your used car vin number and use the order guide in the general f10 forum stickies to figure out what options the car has.

--Antonio
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #15
Reallybro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Here's a link that includes an option list for 2011 5 series

http://5series.net/information/
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #16
Reallybro
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Here's 2012
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...5&d=1312041121
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #17
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reallybro View Post
This is what I was looking for... thx!!
      07-21-2014, 12:27 PM   #18
Antique-ace
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reallybro View Post
There's also another vin decoder site that has a lot of useful info, plus you can save your equipment list as a PDF. It's www.bmwarchive.org
+1
This is really a great resource for anyone looking to buy a used BMW. It tells you the production date, interior and exterior colors and trim, and all standard and optional equipment in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #19
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanny5 View Post
For daily driving, the xi/standard suspension on 19s is sporty enough.
Unless you are a certain kind of buyer, I disagree. The standard suspension on an xDrive F10 - pre LCI anyway - doesn't feel like it belongs on a BMW. Surprisingly gentle springs and not a lot of damping. It's the "my last car was an ES350 but I always wanted a BMW" suspension.

I think that at least half of the automotive press' vitriol directed toward this model happens because they tested an xDrive without DHP, or with it and they did not select Sport mode.

My old E60 had RWD and the sport suspension of its day. An xDrive F10 with DHP in Sport mode feels about 80% as stiff as that - which makes it an acceptably sporty ride for about 90% of its target market. Not necessarily 90% of the people on this board, and not necessarily for me.

Last edited by WilliCO; 07-21-2014 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #20
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

I would say M-sport is a must, I got mine 5er CPO but it was non-msport, and I really wish it had it. Now I have to spend a good $2600 or so to add it later.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #21
SoDigito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16%E2%80%99 X6 / 10%E2%80%99 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reallybro
Does anyone know where I can find a MY 2011 version?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #22
noixd
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Top view camera is a must!
Appreciate 0