2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550i Exhaust

12-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
jpparker30
Rep
Drives: 550i

550i Exhaust

Does anyone know of a good but cheap cat-back exhaust for a F10 550i? I don't care about HP gains, I just want something that will produce a better sound and wake the car up. I'm not interested in paying much more than $1,000. I like the Megan Racing, but I believe that is designed for the 535i.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

This will probably work you...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnaflow-14...33743f&vxp=mtr

lookup magnaflow 14816 on youtube for sound clips.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

Megan does make a system (axle back) for the 550i which includes quad tips...about $900 (according to my shop in LA). But you mentioned cat back? That would involve deleting your mid mufflers (just aft of the trans) and your resonators (just before the axle) and running new piping. There's pre-fab'd mandrel bent pipes available (about $1500) to handle that or your local shop might do something for less $.
Since max HP gains are not high on your list, you can probably skip the cat back alterations and just go with Megans.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
jpparker30
Rep

HDEddie1, you are correct. All I need is an axle back. Are you sure the Megan fits a 550? I have heard it only fits a 535.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Why not try rpi. That is what most of us ran on our e60 550's and they sound awesome.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
jpparker30
Rep

just called rpi, they only make exhaust for f10 m5 at this point but might release one for the f10 550 in the next few months. also called megan racing, that exhaust is only designed for the 535
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

My shop called them as well and they said that the system would "fit"...I looked on line and you'll notice mid page in the description that it would work for the "535/550". My guess is that the hanger positions for the mufflers themselves are the same but the axle back pipe bend and connection will need to be slightly modified (no big deal) since the 550i is a true dual and where the two separate pipes aft of the axle are slightly different shape plus the inlet of the stock 550i muffler is 70mm and the 535i is 65mm, I think.
Both situations are not a big deal for a competent muffler shop.
So, the Megan muffler listed online is not, perse, a discrete 550i application like some expensive application specific brands, but being that the hanger positioning is the same on both cars, I think the biggest installation problem is solved.
I almost pulled the trigger on a set of Megans myself but came upon a set of used OEM M6 mufflers which, according to my shop, would fit but requires some custom hanger and quad tip rerouting. But the M6 mufflers are almost 3" thicker so, if I install them, their bottoms will hang about 2 inches lower than the stock ones. Other F10 guys have done the M6 muffler mod and love them. The 2" hanging low is a cosmetic thing, I guess. I'll decide between the Megans or the M6 after the holidays.
Last note- The Megans, with their quad tip offering, is designed for factory M-Sport type openings, not M5 or aftermarket diffusers.

In the meanwhile, please keep me posted on what you F10 550i guys are doing, exhaust wise (and hopefully within $1000 budget).

http://www.meganracingperformance.co...-p-449113.html
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Edman951
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3, Capparis White

The F12 6 series Megan is a 3", looks to be a very close match to the 550 F10
http://www.meganracingperformance.co...-p-473606.html
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #9
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
I did an Eisenmann Race for the 550i and other than Meistershaft nothing can beat it for sound. Wakes up the car totally and make it sounds like a true v8 and not the quiet gentle giant it comes from the factory sounding like. Here's clips of the two (2nd is my car)

Unfortunately I don't think there will be many options out there for the sub $1000 price point you seek. Not ones that sound good or don't have drone. As others have mentioned your best bets here are

1) a set of OEM M6 mufflers - can be made to fit and hang on the OEM hangers with some outlet mods for the rear valence OR a new valence will be needed (either M5 OEM or other one) since the outlet of the tips is more inboard in these mufflers)

2) you may be able to source a set of Megans (for teh 535i) or others but be advised the pipe diameter will likely be less since its for the v6 engine and while it can be adapted to the larger outlet pipes cat back from the v8 550i engine...when I talked to a few people there was some concern of loss of pressure/power/torque from the change in diameter.

3) Go with a set of Maxflo's in a custom set up. Not sure how much it will cost you but likely around a few hundred and as you say any competent shop can do it. I think one guy on the forum already did it (search for him) however I do believe he was swapping it out for a Meistershaft because of the drone he encountered.

I think Remus is making an exhaust for the 550i in a few months (2013) but you are right most fitments are for the M5 and few are out the door stock for the 550i. However I must ask/comment..you have a vehicle 1 step down from an M5 and with basically the same engine but detuned. Its part race car/part sedan as BMW says on the website and costs what $70-80k so why skimp on the exhaust? I agree $2800 for an Eisennmann or more for a Meistershaft IS a bit much but then again the old saying says you get what you pay for man. For a cosmetic part such as a fairing or CF lip okay...I can see going with a CF replica or like model due to the risk of wear/tear damage but for something like an exhaust? I'd just go ahead and bear the pain.. I did and everytime I start my 550i and drive it; the car/exhaust reminds me of why I am glad I did. Just my 2 cents!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
jpparker30
Rep

HDEddie, you are correct that the Megan can be put on a 550i but since the piping does not match I am worried that it wil not sound good. I would rather hear a sound clip installed on a 550 before I pull the trigger or just wait until a better solution comes along.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
jpparker30
Rep

mdrobc13, i just read your last comment and you asked me why would i skimp on an exhuast? i don't see it that way. i am simply doing my due diligence before making a purchase. if i can find a similar quality exhaust for thousands of dollars cheaper, then i'm all for that. remember, that i am not looking for horse power gains and only want something that wakes up the car as i feel that the engine is too quiet. at this point, i am not convinced that certain brands are worth the extra money. however, i could always change my mind and decide to get a more expensive exhaust, but i'm not there yet. i am hoping that rpi will come out with a inexpensive axle back for the 550i as i have heard they were great on the e60
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey jdparker30,

I'm in the same boat...this is "phase 1" for me and just want the sound without too much $ at this time. "phase 2" for me would be all 3" mandrel bent piping cat back. phase 3 would be AR downpipes plus dinan stage 2. For me its just a matter of budgeting .

But for the present time, a little more sound is what I think the V8 deserves.

In regards to mdroc13c post, all good points but I think point #2 regarding loss of pressure/power/torque would not be an issue at all. The size down from OEM 70mm piping to 65mm Megan muffler inlet would make little if any difference at all. Take a peek at the underneath and you'll see that the OEM piping is so compromised with bent and crushed points (especially aft axle), the mid mufflers, resonator, and finally the reverse flow baffled OEM muffler, that anyone will agree that optimized flow went away long ago. The factory did this not to intentionally make more back pressure but purely economics of mass produced piping and specifically for sound abatement. There's numerous post regarding the negative impact of back pressure on a Turbo system that you actually want as free flowing mandrel bent system if max performance is the goal.

No worries though, since its just sound we're after here then so any aftermarket axle back performance muffler is going to provide that. And, the diameter pipe mismatch of a Megan is so negligible the 550i is not going to feel it at all (since the rest of the system is still restrictive), even at WOT since the factory tune restricts our cars from max power anywhere near our redline.

So just my 2 cents (I don't work for Megan). It's just a matter of what sound you personally like and what you want to spend (you'll see they range for several hundred to several thousand). There are many sound clips of the Megan on the 535i (none I found on the 550i) and it didn't sound too bad. I can only believe that a larger engine sounds deeper and a little louder. I wouldn't worry about drone if you leave the center stock resonator intact.

Hopefully RPI and other manufacturers have an affordable 550i system soon but at this point, as mdrobc13 summarized, not too many choices within our budget.

Interesting stuff...please keep the thread goin'
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpparker30 View Post
mdrobc13, i just read your last comment and you asked me why would i skimp on an exhuast? i don't see it that way. i am simply doing my due diligence before making a purchase. if i can find a similar quality exhaust for thousands of dollars cheaper, then i'm all for that. remember, that i am not looking for horse power gains and only want something that wakes up the car as i feel that the engine is too quiet. at this point, i am not convinced that certain brands are worth the extra money. however, i could always change my mind and decide to get a more expensive exhaust, but i'm not there yet. i am hoping that rpi will come out with a inexpensive axle back for the 550i as i have heard they were great on the e60
Yes I am agreeing with you on the price point issue. Its kinda hard to justify the couple of thousand dropped on these exhausts until you actually hear one and TRY to remember how you drove the car in its quiet/silent iteration without one! LOL But seriously I think they could do something on the cost fo them. Luckily after more than one BMW Eissenmann I was able to get one at at pretty good deal from IND. (thanks guys you are the best) Was also willing to wait so that helped too. But at the price you seek I think getting quality will be difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
Hey dparker30,

I'm in the same boat...this is "phase 1" for me and just want the sound without too much $ at this time. "phase 2" for me would be all 3" mandrel bent piping cat back. phase 3 would be AR downpipes plus dinan stage 2. For me its just a matter of budgeting .

But for the present time, a little more sound is what I think the V8 deserves.

In regards to mdroc13c post, all good points but I think point #2 regarding loss of pressure/power/torque would not be an issue at all. The size down from OEM 70mm piping to 65mm Megan muffler inlet would make little if any difference at all. Take a peek at the underneath and you'll see that the OEM piping is so compromised with bent and crushed points (especially aft axle), the mid mufflers, resonator, and finally the reverse flow baffled OEM muffler, that anyone will agree that optimized flow went away long ago. The factory did this not to intentionally make more back pressure but purely economics of mass produced piping and specifically for sound abatement. There's numerous post regarding the negative impact of back pressure on a Turbo system that you actually want as free flowing mandrel bent system if max performance is the goal.

No worries though, since its just sound we're after here then so any aftermarket axle back performance muffler is going to provide that. And, the diameter pipe mismatch of a Megan is so negligible the 550i is not going to feel it at all (since the rest of the system is still restrictive), even at WOT since the factory tune restricts our cars from max power anywhere near our redline.

So just my 2 cents (I don't work for Megan). It's just a matter of what sound you personally like and what you want to spend (you'll see they range for several hundred to several thousand). There are many sound clips of the Megan on the 535i (none I found on the 550i) and it didn't sound too bad. I can only believe that a larger engine sounds deeper and a little louder. I wouldn't worry about drone if you leave the center stock resonator intact.

Hopefully RPI and other manufacturers have an affordable 550i system soon but at this point, as mdrobc13 summarized, not too many choices within our budget.

Interesting stuff...please keep the thread goin'
Yes that is the MAIN problem. There are only like 2 out there for the 550i and an upgrade/retrofit of the M6 exhausts to the 550i. It sucks but that's the ultimate fact out there gents. Retrofits and custom jobs can be done but just realize you're spending $$ on an unknown possibly and if it doesn't work out as planned then there's the cost of obtaining a new one and install, etc so you may end up spending just as much as the two available ones in the end too. They do really sound awesome tho! I watch those two clips over and over agian. LOL
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
Terpinator
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 550i xDrive M Sport

My 550 is still a pile of parts at the factory, I'd I'm already thinking about an exhaust upgrade as well....

I just checked the Megan Racing webpage and they list the axle-back system as being compatible for both the 535 and 550, with the M Sport bumper. I highly suggest someone buy and install it on their 550 soon and post videos so we can hear what it sounds like. Not that I want someone else to be the guinea pig or anything.... :-)

http://www.meganracingperformance.co...-p-449113.html
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
Terpinator
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 550i xDrive M Sport

I just realized that the Megan Racing exhaust is not bolt on, and requires welding, etc.

No thanks, I'll be waiting for another bolt on option or saving up for the Eisennman.
Appreciate 0