2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Looking to Buy an F10 535i ....

05-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
S.Hunter
Rep
Drives: 4th-Gen F-Body

Looking to Buy an F10 535i ....

Hello!

I'll looking at buying a 2011-2012 [Maybe 2013] BMW 535i.
I don't know much about these cars, other than Engine, Specs, Etc.

I'm not a Noob to Cars, and know how to change my own Brakes, Belts & Oil on most cars. I'm not really a Mechanic, but I've been around Cars and can turn a wrench. Just can't re-build an engine or anything crazy.
I did change the Valve Cover Gasket on my brothers E46 a couple years back. Things on the Engine sure fit like a Glove on those cars!
I also helped him replace his GM-5 Module.
(Really, it was a matter of finding an Exact Compatible Replacement, after Testing the Relays) But I could have replaced relays NP with a Solder-Sucker.

I need to know what to look for, and look out for on the F10's.
I'm aware of a Fuel Pump Recall, where the electrical connector melts and creates a hole in the top of the Fuel Pump Hat, causing it to leak.
I'm also aware of the lack of a spare tire... Which sucks.
If GM can fit a Compact Spare ('Donut') into the Rear Quarter-Panel of my Camaro, WHY didn't BMW find a way to get one into the F10's??

But anyway, I need to know what to really look for on these F10's when looking at them. (More like Inspecting them)

How is Maintenance on these cars? I'm sure it's more than a Toyota or something.

How are they in Snow / Winter Weather? (Without the XDrive AWD)

Are Goodyear Eagle LS2's as bad as people say they are?
And is the Eagle LS2 a Run Flat?

Any things to test-out when looking / test driving an F10?

I am an Electronics Tech, and I do have a Multi-Meter and Capacitor Tester to test things. My Brother has an ODB2 BlueTooth Scanner that he got for his E46. I've never used it or borrowed it Yet.

I am capable of testing Electronics if I know what Exactly what to Check / Test.

Just trying to make sure I get a GOOD one. I'd rather find something that I can keep for a Decade, instead of something that will disappoint me and need constant repairs.

I don't want to drive a 'Commodity', if you know what I mean.
I just don't want to end up with something that costs more to own than what I have now. And yes, the Z28 is my Daily Driver. [Shocking, LoL]
It's not Cheap to own, but not Expensive either.

What interests me about these cars, is, well, a lot of things. The Straight-6 twin-scroll Turbo [N55] just sounds like the right Engine. Smooth, Quiet yet Powerful. The Suspension is.... More like what I wish my car had. I do really like the layout of the F10. Exterior is Beautiful, while the Interior is.... Much Better than what I am used to. But things inside the car make sense, it's not complicated. (You don't have to be Spock to drive it, like a Merc)
And it doesn't seem boring, either. Or look like a sex toy. [Lexus]

I do believe these are good cars to say to least. Just need to know how to find a Good one.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
flamelauncher14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my neighbors crazy!

Garage List
2009 Nissan GT-R  [10.00]
BMW in Las Vegas has a titanium silver on oyster 535i with 40k for $21995. Clean title, up to date maintenance, and nearly every option including ///M Sport, heated/cooled seats, etc etc. Quite a steal, the reps there are fantastic too!

When test driving just look for anything that's not normal for a car. Note that the 535is have horrible turbo lag and throttle response sucks, so don't think that's a problem like I did when I test drove my first 535i. The biggest thing on these 5 series are the turbos; while the 535i has proven to be very reliable, it's still something to keep your eye on. Maintenance is more expensive because you use premium fuel and synthetic oil, but it's honestly not too much more. I think these cars like drinking oil a bit more often than a regular one does as well.

A decade is a long time to own one! Not saying impossible, but do keep an eye out on the aforementioned turbos. Those might need replacing in the mid-high 100k range.

Good luck on your search, and welcome to the BMW family!
Past: 2011 550i ///M Sport | 2010 M6 Coupe | 2004 BMW M3 Convertible | 2003 BMW 330i
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
ItBloo
Fish Gill
Rep
Drives: 2018 Accord Sport | 1995 540i

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Welcome! I have no guidance to offer as I've had no issues yet. 5k of my own miles on a 50k car.

Hope you find the answers you need and join the club!
      05-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
S.Hunter
Rep

I've heard the Water Pumps are Electric, which is reason for concern.
Does that last as long as a typical Water Pump on a normal car?

What about parts like the Starter, Alternator, Spark Plugs, Plug Coils, PCV Valves.
How long to these things last? I'm used to things lasting a long time, though a PCV Valve is Cheap on most cars. Is it Murder to change the Starter? I've only known ONE car that was. Spark Plugs are a Dream to change along with the Plug Coils compared to my Z28.
I do know that much. Straight-6's are like a Straight-4 in that regard.

Is there anything that breaks that costs enough to make you sh*t yourself?
(Like Mercedes do, as I've heard)

Because I can do a lot of things myself, I would never go to a Dealer [Stealer] to get things done. If there is anything I can't do, I have a Mechanic I can go to.
It doesn't matter what dealer you go too, even a Kia Dealer is High for Service. And I don't disrespect those who do, cause after all many of you have bought your cars New and had things done under Warranty. And ended up having to pay for Dealer Service.
I did that a couple times in my 20's, then learned.

Example: The Battery on an F10 is like maybe $180 at an Autoparts store. BMW probably charges $600+ to replace it, and a little more to 'Reset' the system. I think Pepboys charges $25 to Reset a BMW, if it's required. And I'm sure there is a 'Procedure' in a DIY Battery-Replacement. I know there is on an E46...
Still, PepBoys will Install a New Battery an Reset the car for just over $200.
Even if you want a Deep Cycle Battery, it's less than $300 with Installation.
The real question all comes down to how often the Battery lasts, like other things...

I've checked out the Prices for minor parts like Oil Filters, Brakes/Rotors, Battery, Etc. They sound reasonable. The price of a Fuel Pump is high, but at least you can get to it from under the Rear Seats. If I ever had to replace mine in my Z28, I'd have to drop the entire Rear-Exhaust, rear-suspension, and gas tank. But then, they last for over 100k miles.

I'm not really sure how long Tires last on F10's. I know on my car some people will say they burn them in just 25k miles. But I don't race, and I got over 48k miles on my OEM set. Granted, those were Eagle RS-A's and are hard-rubber. My BF Goodrich G-Force SS A/S's are probably only going to last me 38k miles or so, since they are a softer compound. Neither of these Tires are available for the F10's 18" Wheels.
And I'm sure there are Different Options for Tires on an F10.
(They don't have to be Z-rated Ultra Performance tires)

It would also be good to know what Tires you guys are running on your F10's.
I'm sure I'll end up having to get some at some point if I get an F10, and I know tires are a Niche-thing.
(Certain Tires work Better on Specific Cars) And some people call 'Loud' when they can hear just a little road noise. Or complain about a Tire rated for 80k Miles lasting only 40k on a Low-Profile Wheel, LoL! (Some people don't understand things)
I just wouldn't do run-flats. I know most people have had the Experience with run-flats and didn't like them for multiple reasons.
The Cost for run-flats and how long (short) they last alone drives me away from them.
I have always liked Goodyear, Michelin and BF Goodrich. I have never owned a Continental Tire, but they don't sound too bad.

I am Open to anyone's 2-Cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
S.Hunter
Rep

flamelauncher14 - Thanks for the Input!

When you say that the Throttle Response sucks, does it have the Servo-Delay that most modern cars have? I know my fathers Envoy Denali has a Servo-Controlled Throttle, and it wont move for a split-second when pushing on the gas. It's sort of a very minor delay.

I guess Turbo Lag is normal for a Turbocharged engine. I'm not used to that.
I assume all the Engines available on the F10's were Turbo's. But then, the whole World is going Turbocharged. Simple cheap cars like a Focus have them now.
Someone not long ago made a joke about how a 'Pile of Turbo's' is forming behind dealer-lots. I know on entry-level cars, the really small turbocharged engines have no inter-cooler, and the Turbo's burn-up pretty quick. Toyota wont warrant a car with a Turbo installed, even if it is a Dealer Option/Factory Part.

Are the Turbo's Inter-Cooled on these cars, like the Transmission?
And do these cars Require Premium as opposed to say Middle-Grade/Mid gas?
My car says it 'Recommends Premium for Best Performance' but requires 87 or Higher.
But that's an LS1 V8. I do use Synthetic Oil, Mobile 1 Extended 15,000. It's like, $29 for a 5 Quart Jug. The Mobile 1 0w-40 recommended for these cars is actually $2 Less. Though these cars take 7 Quarts. Mine takes 5.5 Quarts.
No biggie if the Oil goes for 8k-10k Miles before it needs changed. My car is from a time where All cars required 3k miles Oil Changes. But Synthetic does last longer... I go maybe 4k-4.5k miles Max on my car.
I use Mid-Grade Gas to keep the MPG's up and prevent carbon build up. I also do a lot of Highway Driving, but some cityish driving is inevitable.

I am in Indy, as in Indy 500. So I'm pretty far from Las Vegas. That does sound pretty good for 40k miles. Especially with the M-Package! I'm sure it has the Adjustable suspension too. (I don't know what that's called, but I've seen the Buttons on a Console in Pictures)
I don't even know what the M-Package is entirely, but it sounds like the SLP SS Package on a car like mine. 15HP Boost with a Hood Scoop, Lower-Restriction exhaust with Chrome Straight-Pipes and louder sound, more thoroughly tuned suspension, 17" Wheels, and Summer-Performance Tires. I didn't have that, just everything else.

I did find a few F10's for sale locally. I notice these cars like a lot of other BMW's aren't available in many 'colors'. I see a lot of Black, Grey, Bronz and Silver F10's.
Not any Reds or Blues. The 3-Series is another story.... But there is a nice Blue I've seen on the 3's that I like. Which I haven't seen an F10. Thought the M5's are typically a nice Blue. I don't think that's even available much less in the budget.
There is a Mystic Blue that looks Black until the sun hits it just right. That looks pretty good. Here is a 2011 535i, without the Adjustable Suspension, X-Drive Or the M-Package: (It has the full size Navigation Display though)
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...827_isFeatured

Last edited by S.Hunter; 05-09-2017 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 11:34 PM   #6
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Hunter View Post
Example: The Battery on an F10 is like maybe $180 at an Autoparts store. BMW probably charges $600+ to replace it, and a little more to 'Reset' the system. I think Pepboys charges $25 to Reset a BMW, if it's required. And I'm sure there is a 'Procedure' in a DIY Battery-Replacement. I know there is on an E46...
Still, PepBoys will Install a New Battery an Reset the car for just over $200.
Even if you want a Deep Cycle Battery, it's less than $300 with Installation.
The real question all comes down to how often the Battery lasts, like other things...
My dealer is very competitive with the local indy. IIRC, I paid $50 more for the battery and install at my dealer verses the indy. To me that is cheap insurance and builds tons of good will with my dealer which will help in the future. I learned long ago to let the professionals handle the detailed work; I can do the easy stuff like oil and brakes. Then again at my age I'm starting to back off these types of maintenance items and just write the check. It's also easier to prove the work was done for the CPO warranty.

I wouldn't let Pep Boys look at my car let alone work on it! For me they're only good for disposing of used oil.

We have a '12 (had it for over 2 years now) and a '14 (have for 3.5 months) 535i. The '12 has about 81K miles and the '14 has about 29.5K miles. I have yet to notice any turbo lag. In Eco mode the cars are a bit sluggish, but I believe that is the nature/purpose of Eco mode. These 535i's are my first BMW's and I've been nothing but ecstatic about my purchases.

I would look for a '14 535; that's the mid life-cycle refresh, or LCI (Life Cycle Impulse).

Last edited by ezaircon4jc; 05-10-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Overall they are really good cars. I've had mine for about 6-8 months and love it. Yes I do understand there is some issues. Like, I'm about to get rid of the run flats and put in some Michelle A/S 3 (and buy a spare in the trunk). My only recommendation is to get an extended warranty when you purchase the vehicle. You might need, you might not.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 04:06 AM   #8
S.Hunter
Rep

I'm not so sure that a place would Warrant a 2011 or 2012.
So, you would Recommend Michelin A/S 3's?

What is everyone else replacing the Run Flats with?!?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #9
flamelauncher14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my neighbors crazy!

Garage List
2009 Nissan GT-R  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Hunter View Post
I'm not so sure that a place would Warrant a 2011 or 2012.
So, you would Recommend Michelin A/S 3's?

What is everyone else replacing the Run Flats with?!?
You can easily get a warranty. I recommend Assurant - I have their warranty for my M6 and my 550i and their customer service is fantastic. I'm never on hold when I call them, which is always my biggest concern lol
Past: 2011 550i ///M Sport | 2010 M6 Coupe | 2004 BMW M3 Convertible | 2003 BMW 330i
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Some lengthy responses here. What's your price range?
      07-23-2017, 11:48 PM   #11
thxbuff2001
Dictator for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many

To the OP, where you able to find one.

I just bought an 11 535i with 15k miles for wifey and as a Backup/DD.
09 Ferrari SCUDERIA Rosso Corsa
23CayenneGTSCoupe
Appreciate 0