2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Parking sensors how are they mounted?

02-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

Parking sensors how are they mounted?

So I backed into a snow bank and one of my parking sensors was popped into the bumper. It is hanging just inside. Do these just pop back in from behind?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
robbylou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Same issue- bump for a response
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
ajandhek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Mine popped when u hit my wall in the garage...same way they popped out they pop back in...if it's the corner sensors I believe u can get in there easily but if they are in the middle might require bumper removal
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
ajandhek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

my front corner sensors popped in..took some tools removed the inside palastic where the wheel is and nudged my hand in there
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Akkord29
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, G20, E46

Sides might be easy to put back on as the previous post mentioned. The middle would require bumper removal. The sensors are held in place with double sided tape. You might need to take off the existing tape and put some new pieces on. There are some posts in the DIY section on bumper removal.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Super6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi, 2014 640i

The middle does not require bumper removal. I recently had a M5 bumper mounted and the installer did not secure the PDC. For the sides you can use simple hand tools remove the fender plastic enough to slide your hand in, it snaps right into place. For the middle to simply grab your kidney grills and pull straight out. Reach in and fasten the sensors yourself. Problem solved.

I used a light bit of clear fingernail polish an put a thin layer around the circle cut out and pressed until dry. It keeps them from falling back in, especially when a pressure sprayer is used. But not permanent so you can take them back out. I hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
O1NE0.00
      02-20-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

Finally got a chance (and a dry non slushy floor) to fix this. I was able to pop the sensor back in fairly easily. Luckily the rubber ring that fits on the sensor was still stuck in the hole and not lost, so I could put it back on the sensor before pushing back in. The first try resulted with the rubber ring getting squished and not fully sealing the sensor, so I had to remove the sensor and do it again being sure to push it in perfectly straight. I had to remove some plastic panels from under the car and then it was still very tight to get my hand up inside to pop it back in, but doable. It was the right rear sensor. The middle sensors would have been much easier to get to.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
robbylou
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone have a picture of the parking sensors/holders from the inside? i can reach my arm up underneath the car and it feels like there is the sensor itself and then a mount/holder that is connected to the bumper. my mount is not fully attached to the bumper anymore but the sensor is still connected to the mount (thats what it feels like at least). When i push the sensor in towards where its supposed to be, it doesnt click or anything, which leads me to believe that my issue is the sensor holder/mount. any insight is appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
Akkord29
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, G20, E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbylou View Post
Anyone have a picture of the parking sensors/holders from the inside? i can reach my arm up underneath the car and it feels like there is the sensor itself and then a mount/holder that is connected to the bumper. my mount is not fully attached to the bumper anymore but the sensor is still connected to the mount (thats what it feels like at least). When i push the sensor in towards where its supposed to be, it doesnt click or anything, which leads me to believe that my issue is the sensor holder/mount. any insight is appreciated.

Thanks
These are the holders. Didn't have a pic with them on the bumper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
robbylou
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks! Those are helpful. Looks like i need to pull the bumper to reattach the one that is half on
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #11
Mrholt
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 530d MSport

BMW F10 sensor broke

Hi all,

So I have hit a Pheasant at approx 80Mph but it has caused some minor damage. It has pushed the front sensor in to the bumper and the sensor is one to the right of the number plate. I can see in through the hole but how do I get it fixed back in as it still works. I have included a picture below.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Appreciate 0