2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 vs F30 (Interior space/Luxury)

02-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Question F10 vs F30 (Interior space/Luxury)

I'm currently driving an E90 M3 and considering the new F80 M3 or the F10 M5. I know they are totally different cars to some people, why I'm here today is to ask current owners of the 5 series about how they compare their car against the current 3 series from an interior space and luxury perspective.

I was pretty set on an M5 until I test drove a F30 335 and realized how much bigger the new 3 series have gotten. In addition, while at the time I didn't know about this, after reading these forums and bmwusa site, I realized that a lot of the luxury features in the 5 series are now available in the 3 series. Back in the E60/E90 era, the 5 series wasn't just about more space, it was about luxury and gadgets as well. Heads up display, rear heated seats, the automatic trunk that opens when you tap with your foot with comfort access, etc were all exclusive features that were only available in the 5 series.

It seems like BMW has carried all these features over to the 3 series now. Looking at the M3 and M5 features, the only feature that is not available in the M3 are (these apply to standard 5 and 3 series as well) :

* Bang and Olufsen sound system (vs Harman Kordon)
* Rear doors open when you grab the handle with comfort access
* Trunk closing feature with a button
* More leather around the cabin
* Larger LCD screen for iDrive
* Better headliner
* Active seats
* Ventilated seats

Looking at the pictures of the M3 and comparing it with M5 which I test drove, even the radio or A/C knobs are the same.

What I don't know and want to find out is, after a longer experience with either of these cars (3 series or a 5 series), what does everyone think? Are they really that close? Are there any features that makes 5 series stand out that I don't know about? Is 5 series all about "comfort", i.e. softer ride, less road noise, etc and the new 3 series are now pretty close to it from a gadget/luxury perspective? What about the leg room? I hear that the front leg room is equal in between F10 and F30 and in the rear, F10 has 1 more inch of leg room. Is this accurate? Is it true that even in the F10, you can't take a full convertible car seat and 2 adults in the back comfortably?

Thanks everyone in advance for reading and answering!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The F10 will not fit a full convertible car seat and 2 adults in the back comfortably if at all. The F10 is a bit wider and the material is better. The F10 have more insulation and is overall a high quality car. I can feel the difference as soon as I step into my loaner 328i.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

There is no mistaken an F30 interior from an F10. Everything just has a more premium look and touch to it. Much nicer layout in the F10 IMO. Anyone who says otherwise is just in denial or blind or has low expectations for a luxury interior. I've had my fair share of 3series in the past and to me the F30 shows the most cost cutting from BMW once I sat in one.

With that said it seems like the new M3 is going to address some of that if you get the extended leather option.

Between the new M3 and M5 it really depends how much space you need. My F10 is just about borderline adequate with my wife and kid plus all her stuff. The f30 chassis is definitely smaller like Xmen said. Shorter, narrower and less trunk space.

If you need the space then M5 no question. If you are a single guy then M3/M4. The handling dynamics of the M3/4 overcomes the shortcomings of the interior design for me.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

F10 is a larger quieter and more isolated car. F30 is a nimbler drive with a much poorer quality interior. If you need kids in car seats, the F30 has more space over an F10 fitted with comfort seats. If I could get an M5 with AWD that would have been my choice.
      02-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
F10 is a larger quieter and more isolated car. F30 is a nimbler drive with a much poorer quality interior. If you need kids in car seats, the F30 has more space over an F10 fitted with comfort seats. If I could get an M5 with AWD that would have been my choice.
Could you clarify that sentence? I do have a 3 year old with a full convertible car seat. We were hoping to address the space issue with the M5. Our biggest gripe with the M3 and 3 series have been that we cannot comfortably transport 2 adults in the back with the car seat for say 50-60 minutes. The harsh ride of the M3 coupled with the lack of space takes its toll on people's back.

In terms of why people are saying that F30 and F10 are very similar when it comes to room inside, I believe a lot of people compare the leg room and width of the back seat. When you do that, you see that F10 provides just 1 inch of extra leg room and 1 inch of extra width in total. That being said, F30 sits a lot lower, has much lower ceiling, thus yielding a lower head room. F10 has far more headroom giving you the appearance of more room, but that doesn't really translate into the seating space. To me the extra room in F10 due to headroom just gives you the perception of more room, however, people sitting in back still may feel uncomfortable with a big convertible car seat.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

If space is even remotely a concern on your list, I'd look at the F10. I've owned 3ers in the past, and the F30 is no exception... albeit a bit bigger, they're still small cars. You can't fit adults in the back with any amount of comfort, and it's just plain awkward if you need to go anywhere for business or an extended trip.

At a technical level, you're right in saying that many 5 features have now come down to the 3 - although not all. The active seats, ventilated seats, B&O, etc are still still the upper crust. And while I can't speak for the B&O, I will say that the luxury seating package with active and ventilated seats is WONDERFUL. Several weeks back I was heading home tired at night, put on the active cruise w/ stop & go, heated seats, active option massaging my butt, soft tunes on the SAT radio, navigation guiding me, dynamic drive on "comfort+" softening the ride... I could have fallen asleep I was that comfortable!

As others have stated here, there's also no mistaking the higher quality fit and finish in the 5 over the 3. Everything is just "that much nicer" from the dash materials, headliner, seats, navigation screen, etc. The car feels wider and heavier, more planted and stable, as well. The 3 at high speed on the highway, while solid, still shows its smaller size when you get up there in speed and when there's a strong cross wind. The 5 is just a heavier, wider, and more stable feeling car at higher speeds (and even lower speeds around town).

If you're a single guy or with a spouse only, the 3/4 is a perfectly great option. If you have kids or other adults to haul around on any regular basis, though, I think the 5 is a no-brainer. That said, if you have little kids who need car seats, even the 5 isn't the best option. My wife has an Audi Q5 - and it'll fit the car seat and baby things better than the 5 simply due to better headroom in the back (getting the seat in and out) and a taller trunk/tailgate that allows for awkward-sized things like pack-and-play, jumpers, etc. If you have a baby and this will be the main hauler, I'd actually recommend an SUV over both the 3 and 5.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
BimmerMsport
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 535i AW M Sport

There is no comparison when it come to the F30 and F10. I have to admit the current 3 have grown up in size but no where near the same fit and finish as the 5.

Beyond the seating and extra bit of in cabin comfort the F30 has a cheap feel to the interior. It's not all about diver and passenger leg room and head room. It has more to do with the interior volume. The F10's interior finish is so much greater than that of the F30. The armrest, in dash intergrated idrive display, center console, all better thought out than what you will find in the F30.

I test drove a F30 335i msport in a manual and I couldn't get over how cramped it felt between the armrest and my passenger. Alot more noise coming into the interior, and felt like I was driving a much smaller car behind the wheel. I must say though the F30 is nimbler and quicker due to the size and lighter weight, I will not trade my F10 for one.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
In terms of why people are saying that F30 and F10 are very similar when it comes to room inside, I believe a lot of people compare the leg room and width of the back seat. When you do that, you see that F10 provides just 1 inch of extra leg room and 1 inch of extra width in total. That being said, F30 sits a lot lower, has much lower ceiling, thus yielding a lower head room. F10 has far more headroom giving you the appearance of more room, but that doesn't really translate into the seating space. To me the extra room in F10 due to headroom just gives you the perception of more room, however, people sitting in back still may feel uncomfortable with a big convertible car seat.
The 5 series is a wider car, which will give you more room in the back seats. The truck is also bigger for all your baby stuff, believe, you will have a lot of baby stuff
Have you ever consider the X5M with the 3rd row seating??
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Appreciate the feedback, very helpful

I have test driven the M5 again today, for the 4th time (beautiful competition package). Here are my observations:

- In terms of the leg room, the results are quite interesting. When I adjust the passenger seat and the driver seat the same way both in a F30 335 and the F10 M5, I have exactly 4 fingers between my knee and the back seat. I had heard that the F10 seats take quite a bit of space and because of this, the leg room between F10 and F30 are the same.

- In terms of the comfort, the F10 back seats are a bit more comfortable, but not to the point of being able to transport 3 grown adults in the back, no way. I sat in the middle and the CA sat right next to me, it was pretty uncomfortable to be honest with you. F30 is of course a bit worse, but not by much. Sitting in the middle, the middle seat is a bit higher and the back is a bit stiffer, I don't see anyone sitting there comfortably for more than 10 minutes to be honest with you. Point being, yes, F10 is a bit more roomy, but it's not roomy enough to transport 3 grown adults in the back.

- In terms of fit and finish, the A/C and radio knobs/controls are same between both cars. The cheap plastic that is used in the dashboard and behind the seats are same. There is more leather in F10 and the leather is better quality. However, I would like to note that, as far as I'm concerned, since both M3 and M5 have the same Merino leather - which is an exception to this rule, the leather quality is identical. Dashboard in both cars are full leather, the only difference is M5 has so much more leather on the doors and behind the seats. As I am comparing the M5 to the M3 not to 335 (and I did sit in the M3 in the auto show), there is a big difference in terms of interior quality between a 335 and the M3. M3 is a lot closer to the M5 and it is in fact years ahead of a standard 535 or a 550 because those cars use the crappy nappa leather and Merino is just something else.

- In terms of the road noise, ride comfort, and so on, M5 is an entirely different car. It simply absorbs the road so much more. That may be both a good thing and a bad thing. Its a good thing that driving the car becomes a pleasure, it's a bad thing that at times it becomes boring and too easy. There is not enough involvement and you are too disconnected. I got into my good old E90 M3 after the test drive and I can drive like a maniac and yes I can do the same in the M5, but it doesn't feel the same. I can be doing 150 mph, but it feels like I'm doing 30 inside city limits.

My conclusion is as follows :

- One must not get the 5 series for more room. Yes, there is more room physically speaking, but it is not enough to seat 3 adults or 1 car seat plus two adults in the back. You need something like an X5 or another full SUV for this, these sedans are just not good enough.

- The luxury of an M3 and an M5 are pretty close while I agree that a 335 is far from the F10.

- F10 is too disconnected from the road in that it is still a sporty ride and far better than a 550, but it is not a car that you can toss around. Braking is terrible compared to my M3, suspension is too soft, and road noise is non existent (not a bad thing for a sports car!).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #10
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

The F30 trunk is bigger than the F10 M5 trunk... Other than that, the F10 ( M or otherwise) is superior to the F30 in every way.

Source: I have both (see sig)
      02-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
The F30 trunk is bigger than the F10 M5 trunk... Other than that, the F10 ( M or otherwise) is superior to the F30 in every way.

Source: I have both (see sig)
I honestly did not know about the trunks. I want to say "are you sure", but the answer is probably yes Superiority is really subjective though. To each his own. M5 is an amazing car though. It's way too big however.

My overall point in this thread was, yes the F10 is bigger, but the extra gains you get inside from a space perspective is not worth the weight/size penalty. When you look at it from outside, it looks way bigger and it is way bigger than a 3 series. But for some reason, when you sit inside, you see that it is just relatively bigger. It's still suitable for a driver and a passenger, not for 5 people, it's not an SUV or a van, it's still a german sedan. So it's definitely bigger and better, but not a better large family car. I don't know how else to say this really maybe I'm not good with words Sitting in the F30 and F10 back to back I don't feel any big difference from a comfort perspective. It's not like having an SUV or a van with 3rd row where everyone gets their individual seats like a real front seat.

Last edited by RealStig; 02-28-2014 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #12
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Trunk space

F3x 13 cu-ft
F10x 14 cu-ft

Correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #13
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback, very helpful

I have test driven the M5 again today, for the 4th time (beautiful competition package). Here are my observations:

- In terms of the leg room, the results are quite interesting. When I adjust the passenger seat and the driver seat the same way both in a F30 335 and the F10 M5, I have exactly 4 fingers between my knee and the back seat. I had heard that the F10 seats take quite a bit of space and because of this, the leg room between F10 and F30 are the same.

- In terms of the comfort, the F10 back seats are a bit more comfortable, but not to the point of being able to transport 3 grown adults in the back, no way. I sat in the middle and the CA sat right next to me, it was pretty uncomfortable to be honest with you. F30 is of course a bit worse, but not by much. Sitting in the middle, the middle seat is a bit higher and the back is a bit stiffer, I don't see anyone sitting there comfortably for more than 10 minutes to be honest with you. Point being, yes, F10 is a bit more roomy, but it's not roomy enough to transport 3 grown adults in the back.

- In terms of fit and finish, the A/C and radio knobs/controls are same between both cars. The cheap plastic that is used in the dashboard and behind the seats are same. There is more leather in F10 and the leather is better quality. However, I would like to note that, as far as I'm concerned, since both M3 and M5 have the same Merino leather - which is an exception to this rule, the leather quality is identical. Dashboard in both cars are full leather, the only difference is M5 has so much more leather on the doors and behind the seats. As I am comparing the M5 to the M3 not to 335 (and I did sit in the M3 in the auto show), there is a big difference in terms of interior quality between a 335 and the M3. M3 is a lot closer to the M5 and it is in fact years ahead of a standard 535 or a 550 because those cars use the crappy nappa leather and Merino is just something else.

- In terms of the road noise, ride comfort, and so on, M5 is an entirely different car. It simply absorbs the road so much more. That may be both a good thing and a bad thing. Its a good thing that driving the car becomes a pleasure, it's a bad thing that at times it becomes boring and too easy. There is not enough involvement and you are too disconnected. I got into my good old E90 M3 after the test drive and I can drive like a maniac and yes I can do the same in the M5, but it doesn't feel the same. I can be doing 150 mph, but it feels like I'm doing 30 inside city limits.

My conclusion is as follows :

- One must not get the 5 series for more room. Yes, there is more room physically speaking, but it is not enough to seat 3 adults or 1 car seat plus two adults in the back. You need something like an X5 or another full SUV for this, these sedans are just not good enough.

- The luxury of an M3 and an M5 are pretty close while I agree that a 335 is far from the F10.

- F10 is too disconnected from the road in that it is still a sporty ride and far better than a 550, but it is not a car that you can toss around. Braking is terrible compared to my M3, suspension is too soft, and road noise is non existent (not a bad thing for a sports car!).
In my opinion, the layout and quality of the dash/console is much better in the F10. The rear seat room is very comfortable for 2 adults in the F10, not quite as comfortable in the F30. I have a 4 year old and 7 year old. Their feet don't reach the floor in either car, so they hit the seat back of the front seat in the F10 - there is an extra inch or two of room behind the F30 front seats. The reason is the comfort seats in the F10 take up allot of space.

We use our mini van for family outings but I drop the kids at school every morning on the way to work. My 4 year old son sits behind me and always asks me to move the seat forward so he doesn't have to turn his feet sideways. I have kick mats installed on the backs of both front seats and they are covered with dirt even though my kids try not to kick the seat backs.

My suggestion? If rear seat room is a concern, install the car seat and your child in the F10 and assess the situation for yourself.

One more thing; the F10 and F30 are 4 passenger cars even though they have 5 belts. No one would want the rear centre position unless it was a choice between it and walking.

Last edited by Grover432; 03-01-2014 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #14
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

You've mentioned the cheap feel of the knobs a few times so you might want to go with the relatively inexpensive option of ceramic controls if you go F10. They completely change the feel as well as the look.
      03-01-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten
Trunk space

F3x 13 cu-ft
F10x 14 cu-ft

Correct me if I am wrong.
Ok.

F30 is 17.0 cu ft.

Surprising, but important piece to note, especially when doing an ED. I had to actually take all my luggage in my f30 to a BMW dealership to see how it would fit in a F10 before I did my European delivery.

Why is it his way? My best guess is that the f10 rear seats are much nicer and take up more space
      03-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #16
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
You've mentioned the cheap feel of the knobs a few times so you might want to go with the relatively inexpensive option of ceramic controls if you go F10. They completely change the feel as well as the look.
Ceramic controls is not an option in the M5 I'm afraid
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:57 AM   #17
3rd party
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E60 530xi, 14 550i x-drive

One of these will solve all your problems.

To me you're trying to put a square peg in a round hole by trying to fit all your needs and wants into one vehicle.

Get a Chevy Tahoe for your family duties and a new M4 for yourself - done.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #18
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ceramic controls is not an option in the M5 I'm afraid
I am not sure where you are going to find a car that drives like a M3 and yet can fit 4 adult and a baby seat, frankly, I don't think the car exist. Again, the X5M is the closest you will get, you need to compromise somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #19
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I am not sure where you are going to find a car that drives like a M3 and yet can fit 4 adult and a baby seat, frankly, I don't think the car exist. Again, the X5M is the closest you will get, you need to compromise somewhere.
I completely agree. I am realizing that myself more and more.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #20
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Ok.

F30 is 17.0 cu ft.

Surprising, but important piece to note, especially when doing an ED. I had to actually take all my luggage in my f30 to a BMW dealership to see how it would fit in a F10 before I did my European delivery.

Why is it his way? My best guess is that the f10 rear seats are much nicer and take up more space
Multiple websites including Edmunds all have 13 cu-ft for the 3-series sedan.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/...tyle=200489817
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 03:54 PM   #21
RetroB
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d

Hello guys!
I apologize in advance for hijacking this thread, but I really didn't want to start a new one.
I need your advise on buying a new car. I found a new 5 series for sale and want your opinion. The site is in slovenian but I think all the options can be seen.

http://www.avto.net/_AVTO/ad.asp?ID=...ja%205:%20520d

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #22
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Multiple websites including Edmunds all have 13 cu-ft for the 3-series sedan.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/3-series/...tyle=200489817
TBH, there are are just as many that say 17cuft, including the manual....
http://www.thecarconnection.com/spec...rwd_dimensions

manual, see page 234: http://cache.bmwusa.com/PDF_d34f9fa3...b397f71ab.arox

and it has been a source of discussion for a while:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...699&highlight=

13 cuff WAS the size for the e90 three series (I had one of those too; the F30's is way bigger).

I wish my M5 trunk was as big as the F30s(It fits more, especially golf clubs bags). I think that even if they are close, the F30 uses its dimensions better... The F10 trunk lid and motors for the automatic system take up room under the back deck and on the sides. If packed right, you can still get a lot of stuff in and F10: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=14

My bottom-line is that I have both in my garage... I put stuff in them every day. Take my opinion/experience for what its worth.