2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Water drainage

01-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

Water drainage

Hey guys could you tell me where all the drainage plugs are on the F10 so I can check them out and make sure none are clogged. Noticed some water inside the cabin today :
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
535MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 535- on the way

I sure do miss having gurus like the old E39 boards used to have. You could get answers to questions like this in a nano second. I to am interested. How about a list of SIB's?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #3
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535MSport
I sure do miss having gurus like the old E39 boards used to have. You could get answers to questions like this in a nano second. I to am interested. How about a list of SIB's?
The F30 threads are way more active as well but I'm sure someone will chime in and help us out. I had a lot of water coming into the cabin last year and the dealer said it was because of a clogged drainage plug and actually tried to make me foot the $4500 bill. I told them how was I supposed to know where this drain was or that it was even clogged so they paid for it in the end but now the car is out of warranty and I noticed a little bit of water. Need to check out the drainage before it rains harder and possibly more water comes inside
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Water in cabin might be caused by a failty water seal inside the door.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib
Water in cabin might be caused by a failty water seal inside the door.
I checked the seal it was dry
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #6
535MSport
Private
Rep

My above post was not helpful at all, sorry. What I know from an E39 and an E83 is to check the following.

Sunroof drains. Open sunroof and carefully poor water into the channel that leads to the front corner and see if and where it comes out. Do both sides then find the tube end where the water is coming from and mess around with the end to see if there is debris there. Take a length of trimmer cord from a weed eater and run up as far as you can. You probably can only get to the top of the A pillar where there probably is a 90 degree elbow. Try it from the top also.

The rears are a big pain but to see if they are open pour water as far back in the same channel as you can. You may have to have the nose up a bit to get the water to drain in that direction. I have never had them blocked but I also have never been able to find where they dump out, it seems to be above the inner fender liner on the older models.

Lift hood and open up the housing for the cabin air filter which used to be right under the windshield. Take the filter out and see where the drains are. I know over the years they enlarged these but they may still have a rubber flapper at the bottom where the water exits. Due to all the crap that gets in here they could be stopped up causing water to come in through the firewall somewhere which could cause catastrophic problems with the fuse box in the glove compartment.

The one common denominator I have found in 3 BMW's is that the door membranes can and have leaked. If you ever had any door dent removal done or any work done that required going into the doors this very well could be the problem. This membrane is or used to be attached using butyl tape and it is a you know what to get sealed properly. On one car the BMW dealer tried 3 times. I finally had my body shop guy do it successfully.

Open your doors and lay down on the ground and look up under the bottom of them. There are several drains there as well. Using a flashlight see if the are blocked, Stick something with a small bend in the end and see if you can pull anything out.

Trying to determine where the water is coming in from where the floor is wet might help zero in on the culprit. But there are only a number of ways it can get in. Make sure your A piller is not damp (inside the car). Check the rear trunk area also.

Sorry I can't be more specific but I have only had my 535 3 days now and with a back issue I don't feel like going out there and crawling around. Let me know what you find though.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
bcw550ix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 550ix

I had a leak problem a few months ago--after a lot of rain, the floor in the rear footwells would be soaking wet and water would splash out when I opened the rear doors. I couldn't see exactly what was causing this, but the dealer wound up replacing the following parts:
"51-48-7-366-707 Sound Insulating Door Rear"
"51-48-7-366-708 Sound Insulating Door Rear"

The dealer described the work as replacing the rear door vapor barriers. I think you would have to take the doors apart to do this, though.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
535MSport
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcw550ix View Post
I had a leak problem a few months ago--after a lot of rain, the floor in the rear footwells would be soaking wet and water would splash out when I opened the rear doors. I couldn't see exactly what was causing this, but the dealer wound up replacing the following parts:
"51-48-7-366-707 Sound Insulating Door Rear"
"51-48-7-366-708 Sound Insulating Door Rear"

The dealer described the work as replacing the rear door vapor barriers. I think you would have to take the doors apart to do this, though.

Good luck.

These are the membranes I was referring to. And, yes you have to get into your doors however you need new tape and or barriers if yours are torn, you have to clean off all the old goo and apply new butyl tape. It is not easy. If that is what it is pay a body shop $50 bucks to do it if you have one you trust. Getting a proper seal is not easy based upon how many times I have had to have it redone to get it right.

I would bet this is what the issue is since it is in the rear footwell. Unless the drain tube for one of the rear drains has separated. I have heard of them freezing and coming apart a long time ago. It could possibly be rear sunroof drains but there should be water in the battery area of the trunk. Suck out what water you can with a shop vac. If you are under warranty let the dealer fix it and dry your car out.

Last edited by 535MSport; 01-10-2016 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys I'm at work now I'll check more in depth later on tonight or in the morning.
Appreciate 0