2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications JB4 on a stockish setup

03-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
Johnsaidgo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

JB4 on a stockish setup

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the forum and have owned my 2011 535i in manual transmission for about a week now. It has around 36,000 miles on it and I'll be putting on a dinan high flow dual exhaust tomorrow. I'm gonna sound like a complete newb here because I am one haha so go easy on me. I am putting in a jb4 that I bought used. My main question is, given that the car is 6 years old now and pretty much running original stock parts, will the car be able to handle map 1 without damaging the parts? If not, what advice do you have for me in terms of upgrades and settings, that might help with avoiding my car "self destructing"on me haha. All advice is much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
MattPro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550iX, '91 E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsaidgo View Post
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the forum and have owned my 2011 535i in manual transmission for about a week now. It has around 36,000 miles on it and I'll be putting on a dinan high flow dual exhaust tomorrow. I'm gonna sound like a complete newb here because I am one haha so go easy on me. I am putting in a jb4 that I bought used. My main question is, given that the car is 6 years old now and pretty much running original stock parts, will the car be able to handle map 1 without damaging the parts? If not, what advice do you have for me in terms of upgrades and settings, that might help with avoiding my car "self destructing"on me haha. All advice is much appreciated
One thing to always keep in mind is that you are adding more fuel to each cylinder (air, gas). So if you have a weak ignition system, it may not be able to mark a spark in these conditions. So if you start seeing misfires when using the JB4, replacing coils/plugs should fix the issue. It doesn't affect all cars but is fairly common when you have potentially old plugs/coils that may be working fine under stock conditions.

2013 F10 550iX Carbon Black/MSport
BMW Fault Code DB
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Johnsaidgo
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPro View Post
One thing to always keep in mind is that you are adding more fuel to each cylinder (air, gas). So if you have a weak ignition system, it may not be able to mark a spark in these conditions. So if you start seeing misfires when using the JB4, replacing coils/plugs should fix the issue. It doesn't affect all cars but is fairly common when you have potentially old plugs/coils that may be working fine under stock conditions.
Thank you for the reply! The previous owner kept it in great shape and took care of it with all scheduled maintenance so hopefully I won't see that problem. I also might be puttin. In a bms intake. Does anyone know what kind of gains I'd see with stock setup but intake and axleback exhaust is installed?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #4
kstorm93
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsaidgo View Post
Thank you for the reply! The previous owner kept it in great shape and took care of it with all scheduled maintenance so hopefully I won't see that problem. I also might be puttin. In a bms intake. Does anyone know what kind of gains I'd see with stock setup but intake and axleback exhaust is installed?
Those were my first two mods. Both offer more sound modifications than performance enhancements. They will give you a little extra pep, but nothing really substantial. It will sound & look nice though!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #5
Johnsaidgo
Private
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
Johnsaidgo
Private
Rep

Got a misfire in cylinder 2. Any advice? Plugs, what else? I took the tune out yesterday and very worried about putting it back in after I replace what's needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
EZgo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i

Easy easy, this happens very often when adding a tune. Take the coil off #2 and switch it with coil#3. If the misfire follows to #3 it's the coil. Replace the coil (under $40 part).

If the misfire does not follow replace the spark plug.

Done.

After I added a tune to my 2007 335i and would get a new misfire every few thousand miles on the original sparks & coils (mostly coils). So, when I got my 2011 335i I just replaced all of the sparks & coils from the get-go so I don't have to worry about the misfires for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
How many miles do you have on it? Sparks and ignition coils are always a first culprit, but surprisingly F10 N55 engine and parts were engineered much better then the N54 predecessor. Start with the plugs and coil test. Unlikely it's the injectors, but not impossible. Also have any codes you can share?
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0