2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum bmw520d option ( need your help)

06-23-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
panxiaoyan
Rep
Drives: honda

bmw520d option ( need your help)

hi, this is my first post here and i am going to get my first 520d soon BUT before i do it , i need some guidance from all the expert that driven one here .

do you think i need the option for my 520d

m sport package ?

night vision ?

active cruise control with stop and go , collision warning ?

dynamic damper control ?

intergral active steering ?

hard disk drive?

4 zone ac control ?

lane depart ?

adaptive headlight ?

comfort access ?

thank you for everyone opinion
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by panxiaoyan View Post
hi, this is my first post here and i am going to get my first 520d soon BUT before i do it , i need some guidance from all the expert that driven one here .

thank you for everyone opinion
Well, really, it is up to you, especially it gets quite expensive in Ozzie land. I would just put what I think in, but everyone is different.

m sport package ?

You don't need it, but it looks so much better with it. The only thing is you get sports suspension which makes the car drives better, but doesn't ride as well, especially with those run flats.

night vision ?
Never driven a car with one - I think it is one of those could be do without - not a cheap option either.

at almost $5k, I think I would give this a miss.

dynamic damper control ?
Worth considering if you are getting the M sports pack

It is a big car, and numerous people thought it makes a big difference

hard disk drive?
Get the ProNav instead - which includes the hard disk

4 zone ac control ?
Are they going to be people seating at the backseat all the time who would complain how hot or cold the car is?

lane depart ?
Nice feature, but get some good sleep instead. If money is no object - definitely get it.

adaptive headlight ?
Yes, get it. Once you got it you won't go back.

comfort access ?

That's my two cents - but one option you haven't mention is the comfort seats, which is really good.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #3
panxiaoyan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Well, really, it is up to you, especially it gets quite expensive in Ozzie land. I would just put what I think in, but everyone is different.

m sport package ?

You don't need it, but it looks so much better with it. The only thing is you get sports suspension which makes the car drives better, but doesn't ride as well, especially with those run flats.

night vision ?
Never driven a car with one - I think it is one of those could be do without - not a cheap option either.

at almost $5k, I think I would give this a miss.

It is a big car, and numerous people thought it makes a big differencedynamic damper control ?
Worth considering if you are getting the M sports pack

hard disk drive?
Get the ProNav instead - which includes the hard disk

4 zone ac control ?
Are they going to be people seating at the backseat all the time who would complain how hot or cold the car is?

lane depart ?
Nice feature, but get some good sleep instead. If money is no object - definitely get it.

adaptive headlight ?

comfort access ?

thank you for your reply , but if i get the M package , i do i still retain the comfort seat or go with the sport seat ?

That's my two cents - but one option you haven't mention is the comfort seats, which is really good.
It is a big car, and numerous people thought it makes a big ( so means no ?)

dynamic damper control ?
Worth considering if you are getting the M sports pack (i thought the M sport package got the M suspension )
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Quote:
m sport package ?
Apart from aesthetics - there's nothing in there 'you need' - if you're considering getting the 18" wheels, m suspension and the anthracite ceiling - it could potentially save you a few $

Quote:
night vision ?
Only makes sense if you do a lot of night driving and in areas with wildlife.

Quote:
Pretty useful for highways. Is it $5k useful? Depends on you - I'd give it a try in a demo car.

Quote:
dynamic damper control ?
I have it, but I can't say what the car is like without it...

Quote:
Same as above, but as the F10 is a BIG car any reduction in steering angle and maneuvering is welcome!

Quote:
hard disk drive?
Didn't know you ould buy it separately? Comes with the Nav, no?

Quote:
4 zone ac control ?
I have a 3 yrs old sitting in the back - didn't get it as he plays with anything he could get his hands on. If you often have passengers in the back - maybe makes sense.

Quote:
lane depart ?
Almost useless unless you caught yourself falling asleep at the wheel! The lane change warning on the other hand is useful (blindspot monitoring).

Quote:
adaptive headlight ?
It's nice - again you get used to it so I can't really tell how useful it is exactly.

Quote:
comfort access ?
Save your money. I have it but I use the remote's buttons ALL the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

In Oz, Night Vision could actually make some sense if you're often driving by night on roo infested lonely roads...
Mounting a roo bar on your 520d could get expensive too - questionable looks included!
      06-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Snapper Chris
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i SE Touring F11

m sport package ? Up to you - if you like the look.

night vision ? No. You should concentrate looking through the windscreen rather than sideways at a screen.

active cruise control with stop and go , collision warning ? Doubt it.

dynamic damper control ? Yes. The ability to hone the ride / handling to the conditions is definitely worth it.

intergral active steering ? No. Although it tightens the turning circle slightly, it gives weird steering feel and the extra complexity and subsequent reliability concerns may scare off buyers when you come to sell.

hard disk drive? If you like. As someone else mentioned it's part of the Pro Nav package anyway so could be better to go for that.

4 zone ac control ? Possibly if you often carry passengers in the rear seats and they prefer different temperatures to you. There have been some complaints in other threads that the standard 2 zone system blows colder in the back than the front though I haven't had any problems.

lane depart ? No. Waste of time. Turned it off after a while as it drove me mad every time I crossed a white line.

adaptive headlight ? Yes, they're brilliant, especially for seeing potential hazards at the side of the road - kangaroos?

comfort access ? No, really what is the point? I think you should be aware of the latest method of car thefts in the UK, possibly also the same in Australia.
Comfort Access is vulnerable to crooks using basic electronics to open and start your car in an undetectable crime. This is how it works:
The theft requires two people. Each is equipped with a wire antenna. When a victim is spotted, perhaps in a supermarket car park, one thief makes his way to where the car is parked. The other follows the driver.
When the driver is a safe distance from the car, the thief shadowing him or her moves to within a couple of yards of them.

His accomplice then transmits the cars electronic fingerprint message (which is constantly being sent but limited to a radius of about two yards around the car).
The message is received by the thief shadowing the owner and relayed to the fob in the owners pocket or bag.

When it receives the car's signal the fob assumes it is next to the car and activates its own transmitter, sending a message instructing the car to unlock its doors and priming the engine to start.

All the thief has to do is get behind the wheel and press the starter button, The whole process can take less than a minute and - unless they are watching their car at the time - the owner is unaware anything is wrong until they discover their car is missing.

It is suggested that a cheap way to prevent this from happening is to shield the key in an aluminium box such as a peppermint tin - but what a pain! Wouldn't it be easier to not to have Comfort Access in the first place?

Secondly if you lose your pride and joy in this way your insurance company may refuse to pay up on the basis that they will claim you didn't lock your car properly.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
If you are considering all this costly mumbo jumbo, get a better engine first. A 530d for example.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It is a big car, and numerous people thought it makes a big ( so means no ?)

dynamic damper control ?
Worth considering if you are getting the M sports pack (i thought the M sport package got the M suspension )
Integrated Active Steering makes the car feels smaller.

M Sport has the M suspension, but it can make the ride less comfortable - add dynamic damper control, you get best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Turismo View Post
In Oz, Night Vision could actually make some sense if you're often driving by night on roo infested lonely roads...
Mounting a roo bar on your 520d could get expensive too - questionable looks included!
Unless you travels through country areas, there are hardly any roos around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
If you are considering all this costly mumbo jumbo, get a better engine first. A 530d for example.
Unfortunately not available in Australia.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
panxiaoyan
Rep

thank you for the opinion , here is a few more question before i finalise on my purchase,

rear view camera ?

surround view ?

park assist ?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
thank you for the opinion , here is a few more question before i finalise on my purchase,
rear view camera ? Yes, especially if you have kids running around.

surround view ? Yes, quite handy especially with tight spaces - the top view you get is great.

park assist ? It works well in certain circumstances - if you need to parallel park all the time. Only works if there is a car in front and behind the parking space.
Appreciate 0