2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 760Li/Alpina Brake upgrade rattling pads

12-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
socalengineer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640i F13 Alpine White

760Li/Alpina Brake upgrade rattling pads

Hi All,

I upgraded to the 760Li/Alpina calipers with 374mm rotors and I like the better braking, however the pads are clicking on one side. The other side doesn't click.

I attribute it to maybe installer error? Should I go back to the shop?

Or is this a known issue? Thanks

I used Textar/Genuine BMW pads

Last edited by socalengineer; 12-14-2021 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 04:34 PM   #2
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

You might have to clean some brake dust. Mines made a slight clunk sound when you initially tap on the brake at low speed. I disassembled everything and cleaned all dust and noise went away
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
Are these off of the G11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalengineer View Post
Hi All,

I upgraded to the 760Li/Alpina calipers with 374mm rotors and I like the better braking, however the pads are clicking on one side. The other side doesn't click.

I attribute it to maybe installer error? Should I go back to the shop?

Or is this a known issue? Thanks

I used Textar/Genuine BMW pads
2008 Z4 3.0si 6MT
2011 Z4 35si (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:58 PM   #4
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

I had an issue with this setup but it was my own fault. I had a shop powder coat the calipers but they coated the area where the seal actually sits. So the surface was too smooth and the dust seal was coming off, allowing little particle to go in and make weird sounds when Piston would move in/out. Once I cleaned the area and roughened up the area around the seal, they worked just fine without any noise. Could be your issue too if you had them coated before putting them on.

Here is a link to noise I was hearing, hoping its the same issue so easily fixable:

Last edited by addy27; 12-15-2021 at 12:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 12:34 AM   #5
socalengineer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
I had an issue with this setup but it was my own fault. I had a shop powder coat the calipers but they coated the area where the seal actually sits. So the surface was too smooth and the dust seal was coming off, allowing little particle to go in and make weird sounds when Piston would move in/out. Once I cleaned the area and roughened up the area around the seal, they worked just fine without any noise. Could be your issue too if you had them coated before putting them on.

Here is a link to noise I was hearing, hoping its the same issue so easily fixable:
Nope mine was a rattling noise from the pads being loose in the caliper. I didn't paint my calipers...

Hopefully it's just an install error. I won't let the shop do it this time, and DIY. If you want something done right, I guess you have to do it yourself
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 12:35 AM   #6
socalengineer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
Are these off of the G11?
Off of the F01
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 12:37 AM   #7
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalengineer View Post
Quote:

Nope mine was a rattling noise from the pads being loose in the caliper. I didn't paint my calipers...

Hopefully it's just an install error. I won't let the shop do it this time, and DIY. If you want something done right, I guess you have to do it yourself
Pads being lose in the caliper is surprising as the big outside clip is supposed to ensure pads are sitting tight. Surprised how that would be missed but glad it's resolved
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 08:03 PM   #8
socalengineer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Pads being lose in the caliper is surprising as the big outside clip is supposed to ensure pads are sitting tight. Surprised how that would be missed but glad it's resolved
Just checked... the shop didn't install this. I had it on the stock calipers, but I didn't buy the new one for the Alpina calipers so I guess the shop just installed it without them.

I looked on realoem, and apparently the guide screws are different too. So I just bought the whole set and will install myself. Surprised they didn't notice the clip was missing.
Appreciate 0