2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions 2011 528i starter motor replacement

06-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #1
Skualo3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

2011 528i starter motor replacement

Hello Everybody, new to the forum and would like to thank everybody for the wealth of knowledge that this site has accumulated!
My wife`s 528i (F10) failed to start and was jump-started by a tow truck driver to take it to a local service center. The diagnosis pointed to the need for a replacement starter motor and a new battery.
The quoted price ($1900) was justified by the fact they were wearing a mask, and because of that, I decided to attempt the repairs myself.
I am OK turning wrenches, not so much on the computer stuff...
I was wondering if anybody has done this job and if disconnecting the battery to replace the starter will require any coding or use of a scanner...
I understand that the new battery would have to be registered if different from the original, but would disconnecting the battery terminal give me a Xmas tree of light in the dash?
Any advice would be appreciated!!
Thanks,
m
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skualo3 View Post
Hello Everybody, new to the forum and would like to thank everybody for the wealth of knowledge that this site has accumulated!
My wife`s 528i (F10) failed to start and was jump-started by a tow truck driver to take it to a local service center. The diagnosis pointed to the need for a replacement starter motor and a new battery.
The quoted price ($1900) was justified by the fact they were wearing a mask, and because of that, I decided to attempt the repairs myself.
I am OK turning wrenches, not so much on the computer stuff...
I was wondering if anybody has done this job and if disconnecting the battery to replace the starter will require any coding or use of a scanner...
I understand that the new battery would have to be registered if different from the original, but would disconnecting the battery terminal give me a Xmas tree of light in the dash?
Any advice would be appreciated!!
Thanks,
m
The new battery needs registration regardless. The IBS needs to know the condition of the battery; i.e. new.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 11:40 AM   #3
velos
Rep
Drives: BMW 528I

Buy bimmerlink at the App Store for battery registration $30
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 12:43 PM   #4
Skualo3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Thanks!
So if I do the starter first and replace the battery next week disconnecting the negative terminal will not throw codes when I reconnect the battery?
Appreciate 0