2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum *IMPORTANT* CHECK FOR F10 550i OWNERS!!

10-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
dpouncey
DINAN free flow/BMS stage 2/ STIR PLUS- AL Priorit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550I m sport

*IMPORTANT* CHECK FOR F10 550i OWNERS!!

After asking my service advisor what the reservoir was that is in the center of the engine near the front of the car/ partially under the engine cover I was told it was just a overflow reservoir. Don't worry about it. It didn't make sense because there is a gauge on the inside, so I called around other dealers with a few saying the same thing until I got the answer I thought was correct; its a turbo reservoir! Use regular BMW coolant to top it off. There is no indicator letting you know it is low so you must check manually. Good news its easy.
1. Pop off your engine cover. It just snaps in place so just pull gently on one corner and it will release and work you way around.
2. The reservoir is partially visible with the engine cover on but when the cover is removed you can unscrew the cap.
3. Look down in the reservoir and you will see the yellow gauge inside that says full on top. If your coolant is not about or level with that indicator you need to add.
4.Pop the engine cover back on and your good to go!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

That's the intercooler expansion tank. It's applicable to the other 5 series models as well.

Last edited by SonicEndeavor; 10-15-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
NickG_TechniqueTuning
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i M-Sport

The coolant pumps for that circuit are able to detect when the fluid level is low, based on the resistance the pump is encountering. When a low fluid level is detected, the pump is shut off and a fault code is stored in the DME, and the CEL illuminated. While I agree it is good practice to keep an eye on that level, it's not like there is no form of checks on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2014, 04:44 AM   #4
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Wink Actually no - it's a different tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
That's the intercooler expansion tank. It's applicable to the other 5 series models as well.
Hi I had a look at a 550i engine picture, and I think they are different reservoirs. (The OP did say 'centre' of the engine), I don't have one of those in the centre

See the picture below.. the normal coolant is at right of engine... I don't have the one in the centre... but yes, the centre one is the intercooler coolant... (I have a 520d only so that may be why... even thought it is a Turbo engine, it's a diesel not an 'i'

Appreciate 0