2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications long term review of BMS stage 1 on 2012 550i xdrive

08-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #23
doppelganger1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport/DP/BMS S1

BMS JB Stage 1 for N63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0Cool92 View Post
how does the increase in power feel? very noticeable?
I've had the BMS JB Stage 1 tune on my 2013 550i M Sport for a while now, and I can tell you it's a great piggyback tuner. The engine runs very smoothly, just as it did before I installed the tune, but the car now pulls much stronger throughout the power band. This is the way the car should have come from the BMW factory. I've also had zero problems with it. It was very easy to install (once I figured out how to get the TMAP connectors off without damaging the retainer clips); it hasn't thrown any tuner codes or CEL or DTM lights, and it's very stealthy in that it's almost impossible to spot under the hood unless you know exactly where to look. Basically, the only way to know it's there is the instant power surge you experience when you depress the gas pedal, even slightly :-).

This morning, I happened to pull up beside a 2015 Dodge Charger SRT 392 just as we were entering a long freeway on-ramp. We looked at each other, gave a knowing little nod, and it was on. From a rolling start we both floored it. At first, I got a nose lead on him, then he pulled even and we stayed even right to the top of the ramp, where we broke it off at close to 100 mph. The Dodge Charger SRT 392 is rated at 485 bhp/475 btq, which the auto pros agree is accurate. Yet, I stayed at least even with him with a car rated from BMW at 400 bhp/450 btq. How is that possible? The answer is the BMS JB Stage 1 tune. It really makes a difference. Now, unlike the Dodge SRT 392, BMW significantly understates the hp and tq of the N63 engine. Based on many dyno runs it's estimated the true figures for the N63 engine are about 430 bhp/465 btq (not 400 bhp/450 btq), but that's still quite a ways from the Charger's 485 bhp/475 btq. The equalizer is the BMS JB S1 tune. Based on a number of dyno runs, I estimate the figures for the N63 engine with the BMS JB Stage 1 tune on default settings and 91 pump gas at 460 bhp/495 btq (+5 bhp/btq on 93). That's a gain over stock of at least 30 bhp and 30 btq. The ECU, engine and drivetrain can comfortably accommodate that amount of hp/tq increase without any additional mods and without overstressing the system. So, at $449 the BMS JB Stage 1 tuner for the N63 engine is a great deal. I highly recommend it.

doppelganger

Last edited by doppelganger1; 08-22-2015 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #24
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger1 View Post
I've had the BMS JB Stage 1 tune on my 2013 550i M Sport for a while now, and I can tell you it's a great piggyback tuner. The engine runs very smoothly, just as it did before I installed the tune, but the car now pulls much stronger throughout the power band. This is the way the car should have come from the BMW factory. I've also had zero problems with it. It was very easy to install (once I figured out how to get the TMAP connectors off without damaging the retainer clips); it hasn't thrown any tuner codes or CEL or DTM lights, and it's very stealthy in that it's almost impossible to spot under the hood unless you know exactly where to look. Basically, the only way to know it's there is the instant power surge you experience when you depress the gas pedal, even slightly :-).

This morning, I happened to pull up beside a 2015 Dodge Charger SRT 392 just as we were entering a long freeway on-ramp. We looked at each other, gave a knowing little nod, and it was on. From a rolling start we both floored it. At first, I got a nose lead on him, then he pulled even and we stayed even right to the top of the ramp, where we broke it off at close to 100 mph. The Dodge Charger SRT 392 is rated at 485 bhp/475 btq, which the auto pros agree is accurate. Yet, I stayed at least even with him with a car rated from BMW at 400 bhp/450 btq. How is that possible? The answer is the BMS JB Stage 1 tune. It really makes a difference. Now, unlike the Dodge SRT 392, BMW significantly understates the hp and tq of the N63 engine. Based on many dyno runs it's estimated the true figures for the N63 engine are about 430 bhp/465 btq (not 400 bhp/450 btq). But that's still quite a ways from the Charger's 485 bhp/475 btq. The equalizer is the BMS JB S1 tune. Based on a number of dyno runs, I estimate the figures for the N63 engine with the BMS JB Stage 1 tune on default settings and 91 pump gas at at least 460 bhp/495 btq. That's a gain over stock of at least 30 bhp and 30 btq. The ECU, engine and drivetrain can comfortably accommodate that amount of hp/tq increase without any additional mods and without overstressing the system. So, at $449 the BMS JB Stage 1 tuner for the N63 engine is a great deal. I highly recommend it.

doppelganger
Thanks for the input ... It's definitely going to be my next mod.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #25
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport

So, nobody has had any long term issues with this thing? The whole piggyback deal makes me nervous but I'm doing some cosmetic mods and since it seems impossible to flash the ECU (at least besides Dinan) on the N63, I'd like some extra juice.
I have about a 45 mile/day commute and it doesn't overheat the engine or anything like that? Worst thing I can do is try it out I guess and see how it goes. Just gotta get past that mental hurdle lol.
      09-02-2015, 12:10 AM   #26
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 and E84 X1 Xdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro View Post
So, nobody has had any long term issues with this thing? The whole piggyback deal makes me nervous but I'm doing some cosmetic mods and since it seems impossible to flash the ECU (at least besides Dinan) on the N63, I'd like some extra juice.
I have about a 45 mile/day commute and it doesn't overheat the engine or anything like that? Worst thing I can do is try it out I guess and see how it goes. Just gotta get past that mental hurdle lol.
I've had it since march of this year... not one code...I usually drive the car pretty hard when I do... she's a weekend warrior. I do find myself wanting a bit more juice though so I am thinking of doing a race gas mix and bump up the max boost to 3psi instead of the 2.25psi...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #27
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
the Jb4 is not a simple piggy back, after years of updates it now controls areas that no other piggy is able to access. You can monitor your car by datalogging and check how it is reacting to the extra boost.

I have had the JB4 on my car for 3 years and i have been running a very aggressive map (~20psi) on stock turbos on a 2007 110k mile car without any problem.

Thousands are running this tune as well and some of them even more aggressively than mine without any issues.

Phone number 702-494-9435

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 09-02-2015 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #28
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok thanks for the input. I think I'm just going to go ahead and do it. I don't need a ridiculous crazy boost/bump, but just something would be nice and I've heard it handles the "jitters" with this transmission+throttle combination which I would LOVE to get rid of.

Mike I will send you a PM about an order.
      09-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #29
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok thanks for the input. I think I'm just going to go ahead and do it. I don't need a ridiculous crazy boost/bump, but just something would be nice and I've heard it handles the "jitters" with this transmission+throttle combination which I would LOVE to get rid of.

What do you mean by throttle jitters? Seems like a lot of us 550 owners have this issue. I also have it , but only in comfort mode. DS mode, it's barely noticeable , almost completely gone.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #30
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean by throttle jitters? Seems like a lot of us 550 owners have this issue. I also have it , but only in comfort mode. DS mode, it's barely noticeable , almost completely gone.
Correct, same for me. In auto and in Comfort/Comfort+, it's very jerky and laggy at low speeds or slowing down/speeding up/slowing down, like waiting at a light or stop sign. At least after mine warms up it usually goes away some but it shouldn't be happening at all.
I thought I read there's a transmission software update to fix this but I can't find the thread anymore... :-/
      09-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #31
doppelganger1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport/DP/BMS S1

Stage 1 default boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple3 View Post
I've had it since march of this year... not one code...I usually drive the car pretty hard when I do... she's a weekend warrior. I do find myself wanting a bit more juice though so I am thinking of doing a race gas mix and bump up the max boost to 3psi instead of the 2.25psi...

If you have the current version of the BMS JB Stage 1 tuner for the N63 (G3_V2 board w/latest firmware) the factory default boost setting is already +3.0 (not +2.25). You can go a little higher with race gas mix (say, to +3.5), but the tune at +3.0 is already quite strong.

doppelganger

Last edited by doppelganger1; 11-01-2015 at 01:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 04:49 AM   #32
Zer0Cool92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBro
Quote:
Correct, same for me. In auto and in Comfort/Comfort+, it's very jerky and laggy at low speeds or slowing down/speeding up/slowing down, like waiting at a light or stop sign. At least after mine warms up it usually goes away some but it shouldn't be happening at all.
I thought I read there's a transmission software update to fix this but I can't find the thread anymore... :-/
If you find any fix for it, please let me know. This thing is bothering the sh?t out of me.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #33
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you find any fix for it, please let me know. This thing is bothering the sh?t out of me.
I still can't find the thread on it. It was a software update done by the dealership. They even posted the service receipt with the parts code and everything.
I may just ask my S.A. if she knows about it. All 550s have the same issues (at least the non-TU models) so I'm sure I wouldn't be the first one with it.
      09-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #34
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I never heard back from your after your initial PM.
Did you end up getting it?

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 03:37 AM   #35
Klolaylow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i X drive

Quote:

This morning, I happened to pull up beside a 2015 Dodge Charger SRT 392 just as we were entering a long freeway on-ramp. We looked at each other, gave a knowing little nod, and it was on. From a rolling start we both floored it. At first, I got a nose lead on him, then he pulled even and we stayed even right to the top of the ramp, where we broke it off at close to 100 mph. The Dodge Charger SRT 392 is rated at 485 bhp/475 btq, which the auto pros agree is accurate. Yet, I stayed at least even with him with a car rated from BMW at 400 bhp/450 btq. How is that possible? The answer is the BMS JB Stage 1 tune. It really makes a difference. Now, unlike the Dodge SRT 392, BMW significantly understates the hp and tq of the N63 engine. Based on many dyno runs it's estimated the true figures for the N63 engine are about 430 bhp/465 btq (not 400 bhp/450 btq), but that's still quite a ways from the Charger's 485 bhp/475 btq. The equalizer is the BMS JB S1 tune. Based on a number of dyno runs, I estimate the figures for the N63 engine with the BMS JB Stage 1 tune on default settings and 91 pump gas at 460 bhp/495 btq (+5 bhp/btq on 93). That's a gain over stock of at least 30 bhp and 30 btq. The ECU, engine and drivetrain can comfortably accommodate that amount of hp/tq increase without any additional mods and without overstressing the system. So, at $449 the BMS JB Stage 1 tuner for the N63 engine is a great deal. I highly recommend it.

doppelganger
I raced it as well but I have bms stage 2 and cat**** downpipes lol I smoked it we did 5 highway rolls and I took him easily 2-3 car lengths we did it from a stop and since I'm xdrive that wasn't even a race he lost by over 5 cars than I gave him a car length from a 60 mph roll lol he lost again by 2 car lengths upgrade to the stage 2 !
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #36
RSBro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I never heard back from your after your initial PM.
Did you end up getting it?
Not yet... I got a bill from my attorney that I wasn't expecting from having to sue my ex-fiance` to get my engagement ring that was way higher than I expected so I will be nabbing one next month.
Women, lol.
      09-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #37
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not yet... I got a bill from my attorney that I wasn't expecting from having to sue my ex-fiance` to get my engagement ring that was way higher than I expected so I will be nabbing one next month.
Women, lol.
Sorry to hear that

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 11:17 PM   #38
gestut
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
The BMS N63 tu is not even a piggy back its just 2 little boxes that intercept MAF sensor and thats it, how can they call that a tune, not sure about the n63
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #39
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gestut View Post
The BMS N63 tu is not even a piggy back its just 2 little boxes that intercept MAF sensor and thats it, how can they call that a tune, not sure about the n63
thats what a piggy back is ... LOL

whats your definition of piggy back ?

Piggy back just tricks the computer into thinking its not getting enough boost, which is what does 2 little boxes do.
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #40
gestut
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550Reasons View Post
thats what a piggy back is ... LOL

whats your definition of piggy back ?

Piggy back just tricks the computer into thinking its not getting enough boost, which is what does 2 little boxes do.
To me a true piggy back system is more then just manipulating MAF readings , I would say Dinan for n63 tu would be true piggy bank as they alter many other parameters then just maf, they also have their own ecu in line running making changes and giving inputs to main ecu for overall optimal performance. I started looking at some tunes for my 550 (nothing much out there) so I am doing some research, I havent decided yet, please feel free to enlighten me if I misspoke.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #41
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

I'm not sure if you misspoke or maybe you just spoke in the wrong place. This thread seems to be about any long-term drawbacks to the tune, regardless of its a flash, piggy back, bare back or whatever.

Seems to me the consensus is, so far... so good.

I think the next money I spend on my 550i will likely be for one of these!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:18 PM   #42
gestut
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell View Post
I'm not sure if you misspoke or maybe you just spoke in the wrong place. This thread seems to be about any long-term drawbacks to the tune, regardless of its a flash, piggy back, bare back or whatever.

Seems to me the consensus is, so far... so good.

I think the next money I spend on my 550i will likely be for one of these!
thanks for the clarification , i did a google search hence my comment, the N63 berger tune should be good and is comparable to Dinan as it is more involved, then the the N63 TU, and that was my reference (n63 tu) . I have the N63 tu, .
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #43
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:

doppelganger
Last week, I happened to pull up behind a 2016+ Dodge Charger SRT 392. As the roadway cleared, there was an open 3 lane straightaway, I was a car behind the Charger when it took off in front of me as soon as he got an open lane. I gave pursuit and had to chase him down from behind from 60-130mph. He had the hit and a car length head start But I eventually pulled a car length in front of him between 120-130 mph and shutdown.

My mods are a BMS JB Stage 1 tune/front mounted air intakes F10 N63 550i.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #44
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Quote:

doppelganger
2015+ Charger 392s weight 4400 and dyno ~430whp/440wtq

Appreciate 0