2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes No Spare Tire. Did you have to deal with this? how did you handle it

11-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

Arrow No Spare Tire. Did you have to deal with this? how did you handle it

hello everyone!
i am starting this thread to find an answer and maybe help others who might be interested.
I have a 2011 550i, which is awesome in every way, however, i have recently replaced tires on my car. I went from Bridgestone run flats to nice and smooth Michelin Pilot Sport AS, and as you already know my wheel are staggered, 245/40/19 on the front and 275/35/19 in the rear.
They ride beautifully, much softer yet still sporty. However, in my recent road trip that put 7000 miles in 10 days, i ran into a pot hole which popped the side of one of the tires, but didn't blow up (luckily). Since it was a non run flat tire, there is a chance it could blow up at high speeds. It was friday night at the Yellowstone national park ( watch out for pot holes). I called BMW and they said they could tow my car for me and have it fixed but not until monday, not something you want to deal with on a road trip.

Just like any other 550i, i didnt have a spare wheel or fix kit of any kind.
So i had to order a tire from Costco (where i bought Michelins originally) and drive to Las Vegas on pretty much 3 wheels to have it replace for free, which is nice, but inconvinient.

So this brings me to my main question: where and which kind of spare can i find?
I would like it to be same diameter as original wheels spare, not quick fix kit.
i don't mind keeping it in the trunk since i don't use it a lot. So even if it will be a full size spare, i don't mind.

Does any one else have this problem or is it just me?
Where do you guys get your spare? + tools:
will space savers from other models even brands fit?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
JimmyD
Jimmy D. 2011 F-10 550i Sport, Black Sapphire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F-10 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
hello everyone!
i am starting this thread to find an answer and maybe help others who might be interested.
I have a 2011 550i, which is awesome in every way, however, i have recently replaced tires on my car. I went from Bridgestone run flats to nice and smooth Michelin Pilot Sport AS, and as you already know my wheel are staggered, 245/40/19 on the front and 275/35/19 in the rear.
They ride beautifully, much softer yet still sporty. However, in my recent road trip that put 7000 miles in 10 days, i ran into a pot hole which popped the side of one of the tires, but didn't blow up (luckily). Since it was a non run flat tire, there is a chance it could blow up at high speeds. It was friday night at the Yellowstone national park ( watch out for pot holes). I called BMW and they said they could tow my car for me and have it fixed but not until monday, not something you want to deal with on a road trip.

Just like any other 550i, i didnt have a spare wheel or fix kit of any kind.
So i had to order a tire from Costco (where i bought Michelins originally) and drive to Las Vegas on pretty much 3 wheels to have it replace for free, which is nice, but inconvinient.

So this brings me to my main question: where and which kind of spare can i find?
I would like it to be same diameter as original wheels spare, not quick fix kit.
i don't mind keeping it in the trunk since i don't use it a lot. So even if it will be a full size spare, i don't mind.

Does any one else have this problem or is it just me?
Where do you guys get your spare? + tools:
will space savers from other models even brands fit?
Bimmerzone.com has a (homemade) donut for $300.00, also a jack kit for $150.00, I got the same jack kit from my dealer, he matched the price. I havent gotten the spare yet because I just bought some new wheels and tires so I am going to put a full size front tire in the back, I was told it would also fit the rear for a spare, BMW also has a nice gray tire tote, and gray felt wheel flats to make your trunk look neater, if you get the spare from them, let me know if it works, I may buy one also if I get tired of a full size tire in the trunk. I also just bought a really nice air compressor from sears, its a craftsman that hooks up to your cigarette lighter outlet, its pretty nice, very small, but strong, well made comes with a light also, and a carrying case,it was around $54.00
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Putting non-RFT winters on mine next week. Ordered the small spare and jack from the dealer. A little concerned it will take up a bit of space in the trunk, but guess I'll have to make my wife pack more economically (or lose my allocation -- more likely). Plan on bungying it down as well.

Also purchased the Continental ContiComfortKit. http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38

Overkill? Perhaps, but when travelling across Europe I want all the options possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
VWtoBMW
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
I bought the Continental Mobility kit. I plan to also purchase a puncture repair kit just in case. Ok for flats but not for complete blowout.
      11-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
JimmyD
Jimmy D. 2011 F-10 550i Sport, Black Sapphire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F-10 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Putting non-RFT winters on mine next week. Ordered the small spare and jack from the dealer. A little concerned it will take up a bit of space in the trunk, but guess I'll have to make my wife pack more economically (or lose my allocation -- more likely). Plan on bungying it down as well.

Also purchased the Continental ContiComfortKit. http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38

Overkill? Perhaps, but when travelling across Europe I want all the options possible.
Wonder why they sell a spare for Germany, but not available for the US...
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

I have just bought an original 550i rim online, and i kept one of the tires when i put new ones, so i am gonna put that tire on that rim ( which is a run flat tire, gonna be a spare) all i am gonna need is a wrench and a jack from another BMW.

Now that i thought about it, if i turn the spare face down in the trunk, you can put small stuff inside to keep it from going all over about in the trunk.
Appreciate 0