2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Battery Depletion Message

08-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E36, 997

Battery Depletion Message

Yesterday 5 of us piled in the 5-er for a trip to Harpers Ferry... on the way home we stopped for dinner. When we came back out to head home, I had the message attached at the bottom of the screen.

I just figured b/c it was so hot outside that maybe a fan was running and the car shut the fan off so it wouldn't kill the battery. Unfortunately, even after driving the vehicle, shutting off and restarting, and waiting overnight, it still shows the same message.

I tried calling my dealer but I don't think they're service dept it open on Sundays. Now what? The car starts and runs fine, but it's clearly limiting the amount of electrical components that function... which means my HVAC fans only blow on low speed, which is a HUGE problem here in the Virginia heat and humidity.

I do remember This Post from a while back, but that only discusses the problem when the car was sitting for long periods of time. In my case I had just driven for 2+ hrs...

Thoughts?

Name:  battery.jpg
Views: 3407
Size:  376.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
What does your driving behavior look like? Short trips in urban environment or something else? Do you have any external electronics plugged into the car like an Ipod, radar detector,cell phone chargers, etc?
      08-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The car basically gets split about perfectly 50/50. During the week it's short urban trips. Weekends are mostly highway.

Only electronics that are plugged in is my iPhone in the center console, which I believe has no power when the doors are closed anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubturbo View Post
The car basically gets split about perfectly 50/50. During the week it's short urban trips. Weekends are mostly highway.

Only electronics that are plugged in is my iPhone in the center console, which I believe has no power when the doors are closed anyway.
What's the build date on the car? The battery shouldn't be dead, I'd be making a stink to get a new battery. (BTW, don't tell dealer you drive in this manner, if they ask just say your drives are mostly highway and some urban and it gets used daily).
      08-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Dandle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

It won't be a new battery required. The message is telling you something is draining the battery when the car is shut down. The E60/61 does this when certain modules fail to shut down correctly when the car is locked, they then keep draining the battery causing the same message. On that model the comfort access system on both versions and the rear tailgate modules in the e61 used to cause the fault when they failed.

As its a relatively new model it could be something different failing, do you have anything on the car that isnt quite functioning correctly or any aftermarket stereo or amps fitted?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I had the same issue and the car ended up needing a software update. The dealer did not have to replace the battery and dod a thorough search of all systems and found nothing else wrong. It did seem to fix it.

I would suggest that you download your personal profile on a memory stick before taking the car in. No doubt the dealer will likely lose most if not all of your preferences when they work on the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The already incredibly inconvenient process of getting the car in for service has begun.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I just had this message over the weekend, it was because I was playing the stereo while i was detailing my car. I read that my car saves the message. Yesterday i still had the message, took my car out for a drive, everything running fine and was able to run all my electrical components. This morning the message was gone, I have seen this a couple of time and again because i was jamming to my awesome stereo.....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
U235
23 BMW X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Polestar Engineered
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 M60i, 22 Volvo V60 Pole*

Not sure if this is relevant, but I found the same issue with my E70 X5. Every night we would park it in the garage, go inside, and the next morning it would have that message. After researching, I found out that the car would never go to sleep when in the garage because the key fobs were sitting inside the home, but still within range of the car. So all systems including Bluetooth, stereo, etc. were basically remaining on. It's incredibly annoying, and the only way we could solve the problem was to lock the car inside of our garage every day so the car would sleep.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
CraigMcKBish
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3 Series waiting for F10

I had a similar message on my old 3 Series, turned out the kids had left on the rear reading lights, you could not see them during the day and it is summer,so light nights, took a few weeks to find the problem!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So this was the dealer's response to my issue...

"5451 VEHICLE IS NOT BEING DRIVEN ENOUGH W TESTED FOR FAULTS, PERFORMED ENERGY DIAGNOSTICS AND FOUND VEHICLE BATTERY TO BE GOOD. CLOSED CIRCUIT WAS OK. NO CONTROL UNITS WERE WAKING UP. THERE IS NO DRAW OCCURRING. TEST SHOWED VEHICLE DOING SHORT DISTANCE DRIVING AND NOT GIVING ENOUGH TIME FOR CHARGING SYSTEM TO FULLY CHARGE BATTERY. CLEARED FAULTS AND RECOMMEND TRICLE CHARGER FOR CUSTOMER TO PURCHASE."

Three things:
  1. I corrected all the tech's spelling errors
  2. How is it my fault that my commute to work is "too short" for the car?
  3. This happened after driving for nearly 3 hours.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubturbo
So this was the dealer's response to my issue...

"5451 VEHICLE IS NOT BEING DRIVEN ENOUGH W TESTED FOR FAULTS, PERFORMED ENERGY DIAGNOSTICS AND FOUND VEHICLE BATTERY TO BE GOOD. CLOSED CIRCUIT WAS OK. NO CONTROL UNITS WERE WAKING UP. THERE IS NO DRAW OCCURRING. TEST SHOWED VEHICLE DOING SHORT DISTANCE DRIVING AND NOT GIVING ENOUGH TIME FOR CHARGING SYSTEM TO FULLY CHARGE BATTERY. CLEARED FAULTS AND RECOMMEND TRICLE CHARGER FOR CUSTOMER TO PURCHASE."

Three things:
  1. I corrected all the tech's spelling errors
  2. How is it my fault that my commute to work is "too short" for the car?
  3. This happened after driving for nearly 3 hours.

Thoughts?
Ask the dealer to show you where in the lease or new car warranty that explains what factors are to be used to ascertain that the car has been "driven enough."

When he can't, tell him you want the battery changed.
Appreciate 0