2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535 configuration - Black Sapphire on grey leather

05-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 E46/330 and 2011 F10/535i

Question 535 configuration - Black Sapphire on grey leather

I'm considering ordering 535i with the following configuration:

2TB - 8-speed Sport auto transmission with paddle shifters
475P- Black Sapphire Metallic
LCDE - Everest Grey Leather
ZDH - Dynamic Handling Package
ZPP - Premium Package
ZP2 - Premium 2 Package
ZSP - Sport Package
4CE - Anthracite wood trim
5DL - Side/Top View cameras (I am told it's offered in US)
4NB - 4-zone climate

Been testdriving them the last 2 weeks. 535i has plenty of power for me - was easily over 100 mph with 8 speed auto, will commute 80 miles per day roundtrip over winding mountain HWY, so mileage is a factor for me and lower weight helps the balance. Wallet weight factors too.

Sport suspension in sport mode felt very good to me.

Been going back and forth on white vs. sapphire black. I am settling on sapphire black for a change (I have white E46).

Interior, been going back and forth between Oyster/black and grey. I wanted lightest interior to keep interior heat down on our sunny CA days and to counteract the black exterior heat. Oyster/black, although looks great, has too much black and heats up interior in my opinion. Beige is ugly to me. Grey is lighter in real life compared to online system images and makes a nice monochromatic scheme with Anthracite wood, metal trims, and black sapphire exterior.

I'm used to the agility of my 3-series E46 handling (330i non-Sport). Want something a bit larger to carry people and more comfortable to drive longer distances. I'll trade a bit of the agility off for comfort, and still want to hold the road well. The F10 w/ sport suspension seems to work well for me.

Must-have navigation, 4-zone climate to cool back passengers better if car is black.

Wasn't able to test AIS. This gizmo is a non-obvious return on investment for me, steering felt great as-is. Also, worried it might fool someone unfamiliar (family member) with it driving on a slick mountain road and oversteer it around a curve.

Expensive run-flat tires are a concern on Sport pkg. I put 20k miles a year on them. But, test drive I took felt great. May think about non-run flats later.

HUD is out. I found most info, even from NAV, is right next to speedometer anyway, if not audible from NAV system itself. The killer was I wear polarized prescription glasses even in overcast days to see the road better and other driver's faces through their glass. HUD is invisible with polarized lenses.

Surround camera's were on a F10 demo car - looks nice in top view mode to help park and help check blind spots.

All the other driver assist items don't do much for me.

I've seen many posting of orders and would appreciate any comments in this configuration, especially the colors.

-Mr. Magic
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magic View Post

-Mr. Magic
Mr Magic - your parents must have had high expectations. I too am looking at a 5 series. The feature I didn't notice on your list is ventilated seats. I have them on my MB and wouldn't pass them up on any car they were available on. If your ass and back are cool, the rest of you will be too. I haven't had the chance to see how well they work on a BMW, but if they perform reasonably well, they will be on the list.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #3
BMW-GT
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 5.0i

Oyster/Black interior looks great. There have, however, been some posts with the denim color from jeans rubbing off and being visible. It is easily cleaned off with leather cleaner but how often do you want to clean your interior. I also agree the black part helps a lot with shoe scuff marks and carpet area needing much less cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Hoss NY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 535i Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2000 BMW E39 528i  [0.00]
2002 BMW X5 3.0  [0.00]
I think your choices for option packages is good -- you've covered all the bases. I agree with your comments about the HUD and IAS; I made the same choices for the same reasons.

As for colors, it sounds like you're set on black sapphire - can't go wrong with that, especially with the nice N. Cal weather. With a black exterior, my order of preference for the interior would be oyster/black, beige, black, cinnamon and finally everest grey. I don't think the everest grey is as sharp as the others with a black exterior. That being said, I've only seen the F10 in oyster/black and beige so far. I've seen a 550 GT with the black interior and it looks great. I have grey in my X5 and probably wouldn't get it again. It's all personal preference but that's my 2 cents. My recommendation is to try to actually see the colors in person before you decide.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Rudegar
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 E500W

Quote:
I'm considering ordering 535i with the following configuration:

2TB - 8-speed Sport auto transmission with paddle shifters
475P- Black Sapphire Metallic
LCDE - Everest Grey Leather
ZDH - Dynamic Handling Package
ZPP - Premium Package
ZP2 - Premium 2 Package
ZSP - Sport Package
4CE - Anthracite wood trim
5DL - Side/Top View cameras (I am told it's offered in US)
4NB - 4-zone climate

Been testdriving them the last 2 weeks. 535i has plenty of power for me - was easily over 100 mph with 8 speed auto, will commute 80 miles per day roundtrip over winding mountain HWY, so mileage is a factor for me and lower weight helps the balance. Wallet weight factors too.

Sport suspension in sport mode felt very good to me.

Been going back and forth on white vs. sapphire black. I am settling on sapphire black for a change (I have white E46).

Interior, been going back and forth between Oyster/black and grey. I wanted lightest interior to keep interior heat down on our sunny CA days and to counteract the black exterior heat. Oyster/black, although looks great, has too much black and heats up interior in my opinion. Beige is ugly to me. Grey is lighter in real life compared to online system images and makes a nice monochromatic scheme with Anthracite wood, metal trims, and black sapphire exterior.

I'm used to the agility of my 3-series E46 handling (330i non-Sport). Want something a bit larger to carry people and more comfortable to drive longer distances. I'll trade a bit of the agility off for comfort, and still want to hold the road well. The F10 w/ sport suspension seems to work well for me.

Must-have navigation, 4-zone climate to cool back passengers better if car is black.

Wasn't able to test AIS. This gizmo is a non-obvious return on investment for me, steering felt great as-is. Also, worried it might fool someone unfamiliar (family member) with it driving on a slick mountain road and oversteer it around a curve.

Expensive run-flat tires are a concern on Sport pkg. I put 20k miles a year on them. But, test drive I took felt great. May think about non-run flats later.

HUD is out. I found most info, even from NAV, is right next to speedometer anyway, if not audible from NAV system itself. The killer was I wear polarized prescription glasses even in overcast days to see the road better and other driver's faces through their glass. HUD is invisible with polarized lenses.

Surround camera's were on a F10 demo car - looks nice in top view mode to help park and help check blind spots.

All the other driver assist items don't do much for me.

I've seen many posting of orders and would appreciate any comments in this configuration, especially the colors.

-Mr. Magic
Magic: Last info I have is that Camera package is not available until September production. Based on my test drive with that package I think it is worth waiting for. (Some cars came through with Cameras before their supplier ran out)
I'm probably going with Black sapphire with the Oyster/black. The grey is nice. Light as you noted and good with Black exterior. However I don't prefer grey interiors personally. As to Norcal heat, it as -as we say - a "dry" heat. As such, cars cool down pretty quickly even with darker interiors. Just a thought.
Lastly I second the ventilated seats comment. I have had this on a 540i and an E500 and it is a must have if you want to keep your back side cool.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks kd6lor,
When I test drove on of the F10's, it had black ventilated seats. They did feel comfortable.

I have the grey leather on my 3-series E46 and it stays pretty cool, especially when I cracked the window slightly. I'll look into the vented seats - parking black cars under trees for shade just attracts bird poop. The vented seat package comes with some overlap (heated & multi-contour) that other packages offer as well, so not economical in this sense.

Edit: Pricelist shows the vented seats package $1000 cheaper when you have Sport package, so you don't pay for multi-contour seats twice. And Premium package drops $400 with vented seats so you don't pay twice for heated seats.

-Magic

Last edited by Mr. Magic; 05-31-2010 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Pricelist info on vented seats - corrected
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudegar View Post
Magic: Last info I have is that Camera package is not available until September production. Based on my test drive with that package I think it is worth waiting for. (Some cars came through with Cameras before their supplier ran out)
I'm probably going with Black sapphire with the Oyster/black. The grey is nice. Light as you noted and good with Black exterior. However I don't prefer grey interiors personally. As to Norcal heat, it as -as we say - a "dry" heat. As such, cars cool down pretty quickly even with darker interiors. Just a thought.
Lastly I second the ventilated seats comment. I have had this on a 540i and an E500 and it is a must have if you want to keep your back side cool.
Rudegar,
thanks for the reply. I saw all the info on top camera not being offered due to parts until Sept, but dealer assured me it was available. He may be wrong, however, and I may not really find out until we order it.

Would like to hear if anyone recently was denied this option or confirmed this option - 5DL side-view and top-view camera. I may hold out for this feature. Who knows - perhaps they will offer a few more items as standard a bit later, or I can save up for vented seats.

-Magic
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Quote:
Thanks kd6lor,
When I test drove on of the F10's, it had black ventilated seats. They did feel comfortable.

I have the grey leather on my 3-series E46 and it stays pretty cool, especially when I cracked the window slightly. I'll look into the vented seats - parking black cars under trees for shade just attracts bird poop. The vented seat package comes with some overlap (heated & multi-contour) that other packages offer as well, so not economical in this sense.

-Magic
BMW NA web configuration shows price adjustment when adding packages with overlapping contents such heated and multi-contour seats. So you don't pay the whole price for the selected package - you pay only the price for the items from the package which don't overlap.

In your case, if you add Active ventilated seats package, you will only add $1,950 to your total instead of the whole price of $2,950. You would save $1k because you already have the multi-contour seats from ZSP and the heated seats from ZP2.

I would not hesitate to add ZAV if I were you. Not even in Chicago let alone NorCal. Either way, I envy you for living in CA and for ordering such a great car!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
BMW NA web configuration shows price adjustment when adding packages with overlapping contents such heated and multi-contour seats. So you don't pay the whole price for the selected package - you pay only the price for the items from the package which don't overlap.

In your case, if you add Active ventilated seats package, you will only add $1,950 to your total instead of the whole price of $2,950. You would save $1k because you already have the multi-contour seats from ZSP and the heated seats from ZP2.

I would not hesitate to add ZAV if I were you. Not even in Chicago let alone NorCal. Either way, I envy you for living in CA and for ordering such a great car!
iwanna,
You beat me to it (forum has been slow). I did find the $1000 discounted ZAV option in the pricelist if you also order ZSP (Sport Package). Moreover, the Premium 2 package drops $400 with ZAV. So, $1400 discounted total to add vented seats, making it a $1550 option. I think I might just do it.

Thanks for your compliment - we are truly blessed with such mild weather here in N. California.

Now, back to interior color decisions.... Oyster (really taupe) / black 2-tone concept or the monochrome concept of greys....... If side/top view cameras are really available in the US, I'm quite tempted to order it.

-Magic
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
iwanna,
You beat me to it (forum has been slow). I did find the $1000 discounted ZAV option in the pricelist if you also order ZSP (Sport Package). Moreover, the Premium 2 package drops $400 with ZAV. So, $1400 discounted total to add vented seats, making it a $1550 option. I think I might just do it.

Thanks for your compliment - we are truly blessed with such mild weather here in N. California.

Now, back to interior color decisions.... Oyster (really taupe) / black 2-tone concept or the monochrome concept of greys....... If side/top view cameras are really available in the US, I'm quite tempted to order it.

-Magic
Yeah, the forum got slow on me too. I wasn't sure if my post was gonna go through at all. I'm happy to find out it did.

Why do you desire the camera package so much? I think with rear-view camera and PDC from ZP2 you would have no problems parking this awesome peace of machine. My Mazda6 is very similar in size and I don't have much problem when parking it, though I wish sometimes I had PDC on it to assist me in some situations.

On the interior color - I love the Oyster/Black. And I think it would be absolutely perfect for your Black Sapphire exterior! Much better than the Grey IMO. If you go to the picture tread, you will find one F10 535i with that combo (Black Sapphire+Oyster/Black with piano black trim, i think) from Finland - FIN535iA (ex-TitangrauII530iA) is the member name. It looks so cool!

Last edited by iwannabimmer; 05-31-2010 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
Yeah, the forum got slow on me too. I wasn't sure if my post was gonna go through at all. I'm happy to find out it did.

Why do you desire the camera package so much? I think with rear-view camera and PDC from ZP2 you would have no problems parking this awesome peace of machine. My Mazda6 is very similar in size and I don't have much problem when parking it, though I wish sometimes I had PDC on it to assist me in some situations.

On the interior color - I love the Oyster/Black. And I think it would be absolutely perfect for your Black Sapphire exterior! Much better than the Grey IMO. If you go to the picture tread, you will find one F10 535i with that combo (Black Sapphire+Oyster/Black with piano black trim, i think) from Finland - FIN535iA (ex-TitangrauII530iA) is the member name. It looks so cool!
You have to talk to my boss (wife).

She likes the camera package, and she thinks Oyster/black looks cheesy with intention to hide the dirt/scuff marks. "Let the maids clean the scuff marks" was her comment.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You have to talk to my boss (wife).

She likes the camera package, and she thinks Oyster/black looks cheesy with intention to hide the dirt/scuff marks. "Let the maids clean the scuff marks" was her comment.
If your wife is your boss, then you are in trouble! :loll:

Is she gonna drive the car or you? And ask her if you can let the maids clean something else too.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #13
grasso06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 528i, 2011 535i (ordered)

Quote:
Rudegar,
thanks for the reply. I saw all the info on top camera not being offered due to parts until Sept, but dealer assured me it was available. He may be wrong, however, and I may not really find out until we order it.

Would like to hear if anyone recently was denied this option or confirmed this option - 5DL side-view and top-view camera. I may hold out for this feature. Who knows - perhaps they will offer a few more items as standard a bit later, or I can save up for vented seats.

-Magic
I was denied this. My dealer thought it was available, but the ordering system did not show the 5DL as available. I was considering waiting it out, but after some thought, decided that all of the other options were great and I didn't wan to extend my lease on my current 5 for just the cameras! The top-view is pretty bomb, but the side-view seems pretty useless after using it on a 7 several times. With the parking assistant, parking sensors, and back-up camera, I don't think I'm missing too much without the camera package!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #14
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Top View is awesome. if you can wait it is worth waiting for. I test drove a 550 with it on Saturday and it is awesome. You can easily extend your lease.

I wouldn't get the black with the gray interior. Oyster/Black is much better OR black with the black headliner. 4 zone climate control is a waste unless you have rear seat passengers all the time.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
kd6lor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335 Coupe

I bet a year from now NONE of the 5's will be without cameras. If you get one now, it will stand out like a sore thumb as being camera-free.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #16
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep

grass,
Thanks - I suspect the same is in store for me if I place an order. Too bad. I think for myself, holding out 3 months for this option isn't worth it. Actually, that's 3 months sooner my 'boss' can take over my E46, so I think I can talk her into it.

kd6lor,
I suspect there might be a gender bias towards this option, but I don't think it will be like NAV. NAV is a rare e-gadget that both genders agree on: the guy doesn't have to argue with her about stopping and asking for directions, so both are at peace.

-Magic
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #17
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Kills me how people are so interested in cameras to help them park but god forbid they think something gets in the way of their superman like driving skills on the slalom.

For what its worth, I ordered Black Sapphire with Black Leather and Anthracite headliner and dark wood trim. Saw the same spec and thought it looked tight so I went with it.

Other then that and the fact that 99% of people who dont order IAS do not understand it. To value cameras over IAS is like thinking your "boss" isnt the "maid" ... absurd!
      06-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #18
tim-atl
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 35d + 2011 528i

I have Top View on our X5 and love it. I always park at an end spot and like to get as close to the curb as possible so the moron parking next to me doesn't slam his door in to mine.

Personally, I'm not a fan of gray, Oyster and Cinnamon are on my short list. My wife has Venetian in the X5 and it also suffers from dye rubbing off of jeans (how the hell does that happen anyway). My Infiniti has an all black interior and it's practically zero maintenance, I'm sure I will miss this but 1. it's hot and 2. it gets boring.

Tim
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Roger on the boring but after many cars with complicated color schemes I am so embracing the thought of blackness.
      06-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #20
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Kills me how people are so interested in cameras to help them park but god forbid they think something gets in the way of their superman like driving skills on the slalom.

For what its worth, I ordered Black Sapphire with Black Leather and Anthracite headliner and dark wood trim. Saw the same spec and thought it looked tight so I went with it.

Other then that and the fact that 99% of people who dont order IAS do not understand it. To value cameras over IAS is like thinking your "boss" isnt the "maid" ... absurd!
You know. it's a good point you have.

My company designs, manufactures, and supplies a IT component of these magnificent cars, so I think I can shed some light here.

While your electronic gizmo's may work well by IT standards (updated with new hardware every few years), they won't always work well in the more demanding auto industry standards and longer lifecycle.

We already have too many of these e-gizmo items in these cars that can go bad too quickly. While I'll order these gizmo's for non-critical functions, and will not be too surprised when they break down later in a few years, I am going to be very upset if I lose my steering and pay a king's ransom to repair. Yes, we have many of these components in the car today, and they need to improve the reliability (perhaps Lexus is better shape).

For critical applications like steering, I'd like to minimize these exposures, and the standards are higher. I'd like to see lots of data saying something provides a huge advantage for critical driving applications.

-Magic
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #21
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

If you think the only electronic component to your steering is IAS and without it your au natural you have missed the last 1-2 decades of automotive technology.

There is loads of data from BMW to current drivers and resoundingly those that have experience with IAS value its worth. Many comments I see from those who dont have experience with it make really over the top comments. The fact is, the information is out there and its really easy to read over the course of an hour or so with the help of google. I have yet to see anyone post information where any current drivers, in fact most rave, who have regretted their choice. As for the drivers here in Germany I speak with, its a no brainer, the driving conditions here whether they be very tight road and parking garages to high speed driving. I myself do not have personal extensive driving with IAS but feel confident that I made a wise choice based on feedback I have received. That doesnt mean you made a bad choice not go to get it, I just think when you make a comment about crashing in the rain because someone oversteers, I think you missed the concept of IAS. Unless you were joking then tell me to chillax.
      06-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #22
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
If you think the only electronic component to your steering is IAS and without it your au natural you have missed the last 1-2 decades of automotive technology.

There is loads of data from BMW to current drivers and resoundingly those that have experience with IAS value its worth. Many comments I see from those who dont have experience with it make really over the top comments. The fact is, the information is out there and its really easy to read over the course of an hour or so with the help of google. I have yet to see anyone post information where any current drivers, in fact most rave, who have regretted their choice. As for the drivers here in Germany I speak with, its a no brainer, the driving conditions here whether they be very tight road and parking garages to high speed driving. I myself do not have personal extensive driving with IAS but feel confident that I made a wise choice based on feedback I have received. That doesnt mean you made a bad choice not go to get it, I just think when you make a comment about crashing in the rain because someone oversteers, I think you missed the concept of IAS. Unless you were joking then tell me to chillax.
Although I do know there is plenty of electronics, I'm trying to keep some of the complexity down. Also, I was told by the company directly about IAS: people unfamiliar with it may get surprised to the sensitivity and different feeling, and at higher speeds they can potentially overstear in some situations. It's a factor in my decision, where some human factors come into play - not all technology. If I can guarantee that I'm always the only one driving the car with AIS, then I may factor it differently. I have to consider others' skills.

I have worked on 4-wheel steering 2 decades ago for a German car company as a graduate school sponsored project. I am quite familiar with the concept technologically, albeit not in final form. I'd still like to drive one today to know how it turned out. Appreciate your input.

Last edited by Mr. Magic; 06-01-2010 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: clarification of 1st paragraph.
Appreciate 0