2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Just had the battery replaced...and now limp mode...and now engine replacement...

01-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzbullseye View Post
Before the howling masses launch into opinionated diatribes about "I would've made them send me a new engine..", or "I woulda told those assholes...blah, blah, blah..." I (and for the most part, the dealership) have no real ability to influence how BMW chooses to resolve the issue via warranty. The dealership can give their opinion, but ultimately, it's up to the discretion of BMW. I would have preferred a complete long block engine replacement, but unfortunately, that's not the route BMW chose to take....
I agree you are at the mercy of BMW.

I had an issue with my E39 540i engine under warranty, and the garage had to follow a set of checks and replacement parts before it was deemed necessary to go for a replacement engine. In my case BMW's UK engine man was directly involved. He even phoned me (as I was getting concerned about the apparent run around) to assure me if the car needed a new engine it would get one. He was willing to discuss the issues involved, from how it possibly failed (from my description), the pictures he'd been sent from the garage, through to their plan of action. Incidentally in my case I got a long block replacement, one head was damaged along with one bore.

I'd assume BMW have been closely involved in your case.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #46
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

I would trade this car in as soon as its repaired. Sounds like a nightmare of future issues to come.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:39 AM   #47
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Late last week my SA informed me BMW made the decision to send only the block and new piston heads vice sending complete short or long blocks. I haven't gotten a progress update so far this week, but the predicted completion date for repairs was sometime next week.

Before the howling masses launch into opinionated diatribes about "I would've made them send me a new engine..", or "I woulda told those assholes...blah, blah, blah..." I (and for the most part, the dealership) have no real ability to influence how BMW chooses to resolve the issue via warranty. The dealership can give their opinion, but ultimately, it's up to the discretion of BMW. I would have preferred a complete long block engine replacement, but unfortunately, that's not the route BMW chose to take.

Time will tell whether the repairs are successful or not...
I totally agree with you. Your "rights" are limited by the warranty contract with BMW. I'm sure your car will be fine. If it isn't you can always trade it. Certainly there is a cost to that, but life isn't perfect. My neighbor recently purchased a 2014 911 C4S. He drove it around a bit then drove it home. His brother came over and while standing by the car said" what is that slight knocking" sound. My neighbor took it back to the dealership who analyzed the engine and concluded (with PCNA) that there was a problem with one of the connecting rods and PCNA advised that they were producing a complete new engine ("crated") stamped with the original serial number on his current engine (which will be destroyed). It was built in Germany, shipped and installed in under 10 days. All of my car friends say they would have taken the car back and demanded a new one. I think I would have been happy with the replacement engine and avoided the confrontations.

Good luck with your repair. I'm sure it will be fine. Let us know how it works out.
      01-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #48
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I agree you are at the mercy of BMW.

I had an issue with my E39 540i engine under warranty, and the garage had to follow a set of checks and replacement parts before it was deemed necessary to go for a replacement engine. In my case BMW's UK engine man was directly involved. He even phoned me (as I was getting concerned about the apparent run around) to assure me if the car needed a new engine it would get one. He was willing to discuss the issues involved, from how it possibly failed (from my description), the pictures he'd been sent from the garage, through to their plan of action. Incidentally in my case I got a long block replacement, one head was damaged along with one bore.

I'd assume BMW have been closely involved in your case.

HighlandPete
I would assume this as well, although I haven't been given specifics on the negotiations. I think in this particular case, since there wasn't significant damage to internal components, they're trying to replace as few components as they can - which I can understand from a cost perspective, but am disappointed in from a piece of mind perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
I would trade this car in as soon as its repaired. Sounds like a nightmare of future issues to come.
Always a possibility...I'm hoping not. I definitely won't be keeping it beyond the CPO coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
I totally agree with you. Your "rights" are limited by the warranty contract with BMW. I'm sure your car will be fine. If it isn't you can always trade it. Certainly there is a cost to that, but life isn't perfect. My neighbor recently purchased a 2014 911 C4S. He drove it around a bit then drove it home. His brother came over and while standing by the car said" what is that slight knocking" sound. My neighbor took it back to the dealership who analyzed the engine and concluded (with PCNA) that there was a problem with one of the connecting rods and PCNA advised that they were producing a complete new engine ("crated") stamped with the original serial number on his current engine (which will be destroyed). It was built in Germany, shipped and installed in under 10 days. All of my car friends say they would have taken the car back and demanded a new one. I think I would have been happy with the replacement engine and avoided the confrontations.

Good luck with your repair. I'm sure it will be fine. Let us know how it works out.
Thanks!
      01-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #49
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Disassembly and reassembly should go o.k.; I would expect they can do that without introducing new problems. What i think might be more worrisome is whether they have really identified the problem that the new block and pistons are supposed to solve. I certainly hope that they have.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #50
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Disassembly and reassembly should go o.k.; I would expect they can do that without introducing new problems. What i think might be more worrisome is whether they have really identified the problem that the new block and pistons are supposed to solve. I certainly hope that they have.
My thoughts exactly.
      01-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #51
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

My SA called today and told me the repairs are complete. He reports the vehicle is running well, but they want to keep it over the weekend and test it from a cold start on Monday. Upon reassembly, the technician reportedly had no extra parts left over...which is good...
      01-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #52
sickwithit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M Sport

Your patience is awe inspiring.

Hope it all works out. If that were me, I would have started blasting someone by the second time it went limp.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #53
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwithit View Post

Hope it all works out. If that were me, I would have started blasting someone by the second time it went limp.
I know. Classy, innit?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #54
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yeah, well...I guess I might have reacted more strongly if I thought I was getting the runaround. Although it's definitely been frustrating having to endure the wait, I'm not sure threats and profanity-laced tirades would have brought resolution any quicker. I will say that I'm not sure what I'll do if problems reappear...I'm just really hoping that doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I know. Classy, innit?
      01-18-2014, 04:46 PM   #55
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Yeah, well...I guess I might have reacted more strongly if I thought I was getting the runaround. Although it's definitely been frustrating having to endure the wait, I'm not sure threats and profanity-laced tirades would have brought resolution any quicker. I will say that I'm not sure what I'll do if problems reappear...I'm just really hoping that doesn't happen.
I'm with you on this one. As I've said before, I've been in a similar situation with BMW, nothing is gained by being uncivil. I treat others as I like to be treated. Having been in business, therefore both sides of the desk, I know it works. Being firm for what is right in a pleasant and controlled way does get issues sorted, while still keeping relationships intact.

I'd also be concerned about the future, the warranty should cover any problems. Can you get any reassurances from BMW (and the garage) that they will support a change of vehicle if you get further issues?

I had a VW where it had one problem after another. Due to how I dealt with VW and the garage, both contributed to another VW when I'd had enough.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #56
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:

Right, cause that would have somehow gotten him a brand new engine.
      01-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #57
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

I'd also be concerned about the future, the warranty should cover any problems. Can you get any reassurances from BMW (and the garage) that they will support a change of vehicle if you get further issues?

HighlandPete
I haven't broached this topic yet, but it may well be a conversation I have with them in the future, and if so, I hope they keep these recent issues in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Right, cause that would have somehow gotten him a brand new engine.
Agreed. Sometimes you lose your cool and uncoil in a situation, and it's beyond your ability to control. In some instances this behavior may even be justified, but it rarely improves the situation or helps resolve the conflict. I won't pretend I've never lost my temper, but in these situations, I usually try to do my best to throttle the fury...
      01-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #58
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

I picked my car up this afternoon and all seems well. Hopefully here endeth the saga...

52.5 hours of labor. Tale of the tape attached below:
Attached Images

01-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #59
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Good luck. I'm sure all will be well.

Post a follow up report in a few weeks if you have a moment.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #60
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Congrats on getting through this ordeal. Hopefully that's the end of it. Makes you cringe to think what this would have cost if you had no warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #61
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
Good luck. I'm sure all will be well.

Post a follow up report in a few weeks if you have a moment.
Thanks. I'll give an update after I've put some miles on the repairs. Unfortunately, I couldn't really test the engine this morning to try to replicate the limp condition as we've got snowy roads today. Traffic was a mess even at 0500 hrs this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Congrats on getting through this ordeal. Hopefully that's the end of it. Makes you cringe to think what this would have cost if you had no warranty.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not sure what the labor rate is, but I think it's safe to assume the labor cost for this repair would be $5000-7000.
      01-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #62
sickwithit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M Sport

I'm relieved for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #63
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm relieved for you.
Thanks. No issues so far, but probably too soon to pass final judgement.
      01-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #64
lindros2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-S

Quote:
I can attest to that.

Profanity and belligerence will get you a resolution, but it could be 5-7 months.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #65
BMWonlyZone
I Reserve the Right!
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp - MBB/BLK

Lease it, drive it like you stole it, and give it back 36 months later: Repeat.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #66
zzzbullseye
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Still no issues or recurrence of limp mode at the two week mark. I think we're trending in the right direction...