2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK New Company Car - 520d SE Touring

06-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Carbon Black

New Company Car - 520d SE Touring

Hi All,

Ordered my new company car back in early May and got an email from the leasing company today to say my car has arrived at the dealership.

Arranged to pick up on Monday, pics to follow!

Spec I went for is:

520d SE Touring

Space grey with black leather.
Auto (no gear paddles, had them in my E Class, never used em!)
Folding mirrors
Sport steering wheel
Sun protection glass
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Look forward to seeing pics Markee
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

"Auto (no gear paddles, had them in my E Class, never used em!)"

Wise choice I have them in my car and don't use them - nice to glide the fingers over the back of them though.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
GMTRB5
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d M Sport

I love my gear paddles in my 330d ! Will be interesting if I use them less when I get my 5 series with the 8 speed box....?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 03:58 AM   #5
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

One more sleep......
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, she's here!

Not the smoothest of starts, though:

1. Ipod not recognised at all, says connected on iPod but no BMW logo and says no connection on iDrive.
2. When slowing down, down changes by auto very jerky.
3. Travelling home earlier gearbox got confused accelerating (moderately) on dual carriageway, kept kicking down then changing then went into limp home mode (message saying continue your journey, full power not available, drivetrain error, get checked by service).

Anyone experienced this? I did wonder if it's because it's new and getting used to driving style, but surely shouldn't be as troublesome as this?

Contacting dealer tomorrow. Very please with it but probs above do put a bit of a dampener on things. Pics to follow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
swissfraser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F13 640d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markee View Post
Well, she's here!
2. When slowing down, down changes by auto very jerky.
3. Travelling home earlier gearbox got confused accelerating (moderately) on dual carriageway, kept kicking down then changing then went into limp home mode (message saying continue your journey, full power not available, drivetrain error, get checked by service).
Definitely a fault, fingers crossed it will be resolved very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #8
accordRE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Bloody hell not another one.

Markee I'm having the same problem!!

Had the same exact message about a 2 weeks after collecting the car.

Sent my car in a month ago, dealers wont' replace it and want me to wait three months for a possible solution. Hopefully your dealers will sort it out for you though.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 03:12 AM   #9
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordRE View Post
Bloody hell not another one.

Markee I'm having the same problem!!

Had the same exact message about a 2 weeks after collecting the car.

Sent my car in a month ago, dealers wont' replace it and want me to wait three months for a possible solution. Hopefully your dealers will sort it out for you though.
I think mine is a different problem to yours. I think you said you got an error message about the drivetrain, but the car drove fine.

Mine is definitely gearbox related as down changes when slowing down are very noticeable to the point of being uncomfortable. The gearbox seems to be a very jerky, which is not what I was expecting.

I was fortunate to have a couple of 3 hour+ test drives on my own, one in an X3 the other in a 520d M Sport tourer, both with the 2.0D engine and auto box, both were silky smooth so definitely a fault with mine.

Spoke to the dealer this morning and he agrees it's a fault. Booked in tomorrow morning. They did offer to have it in to look at straight away, but due to work commitments it has to be tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:57 AM   #10
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

The jerky downshifts, can you elaborate on that?

When I first test drive an F10, I did find that on on no throttle, the gear changes were a little 'jerky' when slowing down, say at traffic lights.
This seems normal in both teh cars I've test drivien and my own.
So if you coast up to traffic lights with no throttle, as it changes down, the car can slow down quite a bit as it engaes teh next gear. It doesn't feel like it coasting that much.

My E39 was smoother in that respect and this is just an observation, nothing worng, thats just how it is.
Might be thats what you are describing. But the other issues obviously don't sound good though.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #11
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

My 520d F10 has the smoothest auto box ever - better than in my old 530d e39 and light years ahead of the 525d e60 (which had to have a software update to make it bearable - a long story).

Definitely a fault, as the ZF auto box in the f10/11 is widely recognised as a supreme shifter.

I hardly use the paddle shifts in the f10 (I bought a stock car) so agree with the original comments.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post

When I first test drive an F10, I did find that on on no throttle, the gear changes were a little 'jerky' when slowing down, say at traffic lights.
So if you coast up to traffic lights with no throttle, as it changes down, the car can slow down quite a bit as it engaes teh next gear. It doesn't feel like it coasting that much.

My E39 was smoother in that respect and this is just an observation, nothing worng, thats just how it is.
Might be thats what you are describing. But the other issues obviously don't sound good though.
I know exactly what you mean, and no that's not what I am talking about - my Merc E Class 7G auto used to do the same, all you felt was a little "tug" at the last few metres before you came to a standstill as the gearbox changes down through the gears from 3rd-4th to 1st - this is in a whole different league to that!

As an example, coming off a motorway or dual carriageway, slowing from around 60 ish mph, when you get to around 35-40mph the gearbox changes down. Rather than feeling a little "tug" this sends a judder through the cabin.

The best way I can describe this is: imagine you are in a car with a manual gearbox coasting along at 15-20mph with the clutch pedal down. Now, select 2nd gear and drop the clutch. Imagine what that would feel like. That's what my "silky smooth ZF" does when changing down!

A little bit of jerkiness or "tug" I can deal with, but that ain't right!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #13
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

If within 1k miles, hand the car back.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #14
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post

Ok, in the nicest possible way, that is not normal. Mine goes down through the gears effortlessly, no jerking with no throttle.
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #15
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, I know Piers.

I was fortunate to have an extended test drive in a 520d M Sport auto touring so I know what it should be like!

The car was bought as a corporate buy as a company car. The company I work for is very large (household name) so I'm not expecting any problems in getting this fixed.....
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markee View Post
Yes, I know Piers.

I was fortunate to have an extended test drive in a 520d M Sport auto touring so I know what it should be like!

The car was bought as a corporate buy as a company car. The company I work for is very large (household name) so I'm not expecting any problems in getting this fixed.....
Good news Markee. It will almost certainly be a software fault/reset.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #17
Psycho Forest
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M-Sport 2.0d Auto

Have a read of this post it could be the same thing?

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455949
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #18
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the replies, this has turned out to be a serious issue. Things got worse on the way to the dealer:

1. At a constant 60mph, gears hunting up and down every 2 seconds or so. Feels like a misfire would.
2. Stopped at roundabout to a very clunky stop where gearbox changed down to first and engine stopped under stop/start. Went to drive away and gearbox was in N, had to select Drive.
3. When moving again, drive train error came up and limped into the dealer.

Dealer carried out some diagnostics and lots of errors came up. They don't know what's wrong or how to fix it so have escalated to BMW under PUMA.

Now driving around in a 3 series 320d ED! Horrible!

I'll post updates as they happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #19
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry to hear that Markee
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #20
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Update.

BMW have come back and said a new gearbox needs to be fitted (not surprised, it was quite a dire specimen to be honest!).

Of course, there's no stock in the UK so has to be ordered in from Germany. Due to arrive Monday / Tuesday next week. Allowing for fitting, should have the car back by Wednesday / Thursday next week.

I've been told this is quite unlucky as this is a very rare occurrence.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #21
SpeedTrip
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i LCI-2 Alpine

Garage List
Sorry to hear of this.

I'd be inclined to reject it - only been on the road a couple of days, presumably well less than 1K miles .....

A major change like a gearbox will impact a lot of things under-bonnet - frankly, it'll never be the same as when it left the factory .... even a main dealer with plenty of resources wont be able to do the work as well as the factory building up from scratch ....

One thing that surprise me is that the fault was 'allowed' thru all the checks - Factory, PDI et al ...

320i *2, 323i, 520i *2, 540i, 535i, 840i, E36 M5, 328i, 530i, 320d, 535d, M135i, M140i * 2
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:38 PM   #22
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedTrip View Post
Sorry to hear of this.

I'd be inclined to reject it - only been on the road a couple of days, presumably well less than 1K miles .....

A major change like a gearbox will impact a lot of things under-bonnet - frankly, it'll never be the same as when it left the factory .... even a main dealer with plenty of resources wont be able to do the work as well as the factory building up from scratch ....

One thing that surprise me is that the fault was 'allowed' thru all the checks - Factory, PDI et al ...
Less than 100 miles actually!

It's not quite as simple as that. It's a company purchase through a leasing company so doesn't fall under consumer law.

For this reason, it's not my decision to make. I have asked the leasing company what their procedures are for rejecting a vehicle, and what criteria they have for instigating it. However, I am extremely busy and just don't have time to go backwards and forwards to a dealer whilst they fix faults. If it does turn out to be a lemon, it will be going back!

At BMW's and the dealers defence, the fault only comes to light when the car is driven. Manoeuvring around at low speed is not a problem so the fault didn't come to light driving off the production line, driving onto transport, manoeuvre ring around the dealership etc. I don't think it's practical for the dealer to take out a new car for an extensive test drive to test all the systems - as an owner I wouldn't want the dealer putting miles on the car just to test for what is, in essence, a very rare occurrence and shouldn't happen.
Appreciate 0