2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum My 535d Touring thread (to be ordered till mid-2012)

02-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

My 535d Touring thread (to be ordered till mid-2012)

Dear all,

I am zeroing in on the final configuration and also on the conditions of a new deal that will hopefully render me a proud owner of a 535d F11!
This thread is intended to share the car's configuration in these latter stages of the decision-making process, probably make some random questions as far as some of the options are concerned (which ones are critical, which ones are "nice to haves", etc) and hopefully I will learn a lot from you guys and avoid any eventual "buyer's remorse" along the way! I am rather new to the brand (my first and current BMW is a 530d E60 which I bought in 2010) so I thank you in advance for bearing with my newbie-ness!

Before going to the configuration, and seeing that the geographical and meteorological aspects are almost as important as the psycographics, be advised that although I am buying the car in Germany (I am currently working here as an expat for my company), the goal is to take the car with me when I return to good old Portugal (saving a sh*tload of taxes along the way).

And now for the fun part!
(As I am doing the configuration in German, please excuse if I am not using the correct English terms...)

535d (313 hp/640 Nm) Touring
Sport-Automatic Steptronic Gearbox

M Sports Package with:
..Sophisto or Space Gray color (still to be decided)
..Black Dakota leather Sports Seats w/ heating and electrical adjustments (you can never go wrong with black)
..Aluminum Trim
..Anthracite black roof
..18" M350 wheels
.."Shadow Line"

Comfort Package, including:
..Ambient lighting
..Automatic trunk door
.."Klimacomfort" windshield
..Easy entry/exit
..Door soft close

Innovation Package
..Adaptive xenon headlights and high beams, with washers
..HUD
.."Black panel" 9.2 in. display
..Speed limit info

Adaptive Drive (including Dynamic Drive and Dynamic Damper Control)
High beams assistant
BMW Individual Tinted Rear Windows
Luggage compartment package
Rear view camera & Park Distance Control
Panoramic Glass Roof
Longitudinal roof rails (Shadow Line)

Apps, BMW Assist, BMW Online, Internet
USB Audio, Music for smartphones
Professional Navigation System
HiFi Professional Sound System

Active Protection for Passengers
Interior/Exterior Automatic Mirrors
Tire Pressure Monitoring
Lane Change Warning System

And now one of the experiences I look forward to the most: receiving this awesome car at the BMW Welt in Munich (briefing, visit to the BMW Museum and plant, etc)!

So what do you guys think of this configuration? I might have gotten a bit carried away with options and extras but I am not looking into buying myself a new car so soon, so I want to make sure I don't get the "oh, I should have added this thing or that thing"... In addition, if I was currently in Portugal this car would be about 40% more expensive due to heavy taxes there, so this is kind of a golden opportunity for me to have a 535d when I turn 35 years old.

Items I thoroughly considered but chose not to add (and why not):
..xDrive. I would add it if I would remain in Germnay but in Portugal's climate (for those in the US who would like to have reference, it is similar to Southern California) and knowing the roads I ride on the most, I don't think it is necessary. The RWD and the DTS/DSC/ABS should do the trick for me. In addition, tire wear would be higher and mileage slightly lower with xDrive

..Night Vision. After reading some reviews in this forum, I chose not to use it. I drive mostly in urban, well lit areas/roads and honestly I was not very impressed with the videos showing how the system works

..Alarm. For the simple reason that no one cares if a car sounds an alarm and at most your neighbors will call the cops to tow the car away (not to go after the burglars).

So thank you for reading this far and I look forward to seeing your opinions, insights and suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Add Comfort Access. You never need the key in your hand to open the doors or the trunk. Its one of those features that you didn't know you couldn't live without until you got it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Matt01
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d Lux

I think you've got everything I wish I had on my space grey f11... Perfect spec, cant wait for more details especially about taking delivery!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

Aluminium Trim in a black interior is a very strong contrast, too much IMHO. You might want to consider the 4AT "black high gloss" trim instead.

The ventilated seats would have been great in the Portuguese sun, but unfortunately you can't combine this option with sport sears anymore since model year 2012.

Also seriously consider the surround view option in addition to the rear camera - you'll like it!
      02-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Add Comfort Access. You never need the key in your hand to open the doors or the trunk. Its one of those features that you didn't know you couldn't live without until you got it.
I have it. I just did a direct translation from German into "easy entry/exit". But the right denomination in English should be Comfort Access.
And you are right. It's one of those things that once you have it in a car, you will never do without it! I became a fan of keyless systems when I had a Renault Megane II.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt01 View Post
I think you've got everything I wish I had on my space grey f11... Perfect spec, cant wait for more details especially about taking delivery!
Thanks! I will try to take as many photos as I can and will definitely write about the experience here! Today I had a meeting with one of the dealers I am talking with for the purchase and he told me that the experience of getting your car from the BMW World is exhilarating. One of his customers went so far as to say that it was the single best experience he had in his life right after having children! LOL
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran Turismo View Post
Aluminium Trim in a black interior is a very strong contrast, too much IMHO. You might want to consider the 4AT "black high gloss" trim instead.

The ventilated seats would have been great in the Portuguese sun, but unfortunately you can't combine this option with sport sears anymore since model year 2012.

Also seriously consider the surround view option in addition to the rear camera - you'll like it!
Thanks for the suggestions!
As contrasting as it may be, as of now it is the combination that I enjoy the most. I had that same opinion about the aluminum trim in the previous generation (E60/E61) but it seems that in this new generation the finishing is different and is more brushed, so it won't be as reflective as before. Maybe that's why I think it is more tolerable... Besides, won't the "black high gloss" trim make the interior too dark? Anyway, now I reached a point where I must go with my girlfriend to as many dealers as possible to try to see as many combinations live as possible and make a final decision (and get buy-in from her too... LOL). I won't commit to an order until April so there's plenty of time for that. I will take your point into consideration but the "black glossy trim" is out of the question as it is not compatible with the M package!
A possible intermediate solution is the standard "aluminum hexago" which has a structured surface with hexagons and is darker than the brushed aluminum. I saw it live once together with the M-standard black alcantara/textile seats and anthracite roof and loved it too. Maybe that trim will be the better option, but I have to see.

As far as the ventilated seats are concerned, I am hoping that the tinted windows and the more than competent AC will be enough. But I won't sacrifice the M-package for ventilated seats, even if we have so many hours of sunlight per year!

As for the surround view, how useful is it actually? If it is just to park the car, so far I am doing great with my current BMW with only PDC and the rear view camera is already a good addition. Are there any other advantages other than seeing if you park totally inside the box?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
but the "black glossy trim" is out of the question as it is not compatible with the M package!
Oops, my bad. Well, in this case you'll have to consider an Alpina D5 Touring which is definitely available with the 4AT trim, and it's even quicker than a 535d. Just hurry up with ordering, as production time would be about 4 months
Hexagon is slightly less bright than aluminium, but IMHO somewhat looks "cheap" compared with all other trims.

At first I was considering the rear view camera only too. Ordering surround view was a last minute decision based on opinions I've read in various BMW forums. Today I would kick myself if I hadn't ordered it: The F10 is quite a "boat" and I'm pretty sure I would have damaged at least one wheel so far if I had not used the bird's view feature while parking or driving along (i.e. underground parking) some nasty curbs.
      02-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #9
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Oops, my bad. Well, in this case you'll have to consider an Alpina D5 Touring which is definitely available with the 4AT trim, and it's even quicker than a 535d. Just hurry up with ordering, as production time would be about 4 months
LOL
Nah, I think the 313 hp and the 8 week waiting time for a 535d in Germany are enough for plenty of satisfaction!

Quote:
Hexagon is slightly less bright than aluminium, but IMHO somewhat looks "cheap" compared with all other trims.

At first I was considering the rear view camera only too. Ordering surround view was a last minute decision based on opinions I've read in various BMW forums. Today I would kick myself if I hadn't ordered it: The F10 is quite a "boat" and I'm pretty sure I would have damaged at least one wheel so far if I had not used the bird's view feature while parking or driving along (i.e. underground parking) some nasty curbs.
True, the aluminum hexagon doesn't seem as high-end. I have to do my own homework as far as selecting the right trim is concerned, for sure!

Do you have some insightful videos that would convince me on the Surround View front? I can always ask for a test drive but it'll be at least a couple of weeks before I have time for that. I found two after doing a basic search but was not yet convinced.

One question: can you toggle between different cameras? For example, one of the good things about the rearview camera is the dynamic guiding lines that show you where you'll drive into. Is that lost with the surround view?

Last edited by rhinosaur; 02-28-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
LOL
Is that lost with the surround view?
No, when PDC is on, the bird's view and standard rear camera modes can be quickly toggled by simply pressing the iDrive controller.

Assuming you speak German too, the following videos about various F10 options could be helpful - surround view is featured at the beginning of part 2:

03-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Thank you for the videos, Gran Turismo. You won me over!
I have now officially included the Surround View Package and it's not coming out again. I also saw it live in action yesterday in one of the dealers and it is great! Thanks for the timely suggestion.

In the meantime I will already receive the post-March 2012 version of the car. BMW has made some minor adjustments (newer black panel display, for example) and a minor increase in price (nothing relevant).

In addition, I am more or less convinced of getting the aluminum hexagon trim and am now leaning towards the sophisto gray.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

A great spec IMO, your F11 will be a beaut in Sophisto Grey - almost like mine!

The options I regret I did not choose are comfort access for the boot and heated steering wheel (I live in Sweden...)

If money was no object I would have chosen all the goodies too, even Nappa leather and leather for the dashboard...

On the other hand, then I would have waited for the new M550d xDrive. 0-100 km/h in 4,7 sec with great MPG figures...!

Last edited by Bimmernerd; 03-02-2012 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #13
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
......BMW has made some minor adjustments (newer black panel display, for example)....
What do you mean 'newer black panel display'? What's different? Is it just on the GT or the sedan too?
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrko
Quote:
......BMW has made some minor adjustments (newer black panel display, for example)....
What do you mean 'newer black panel display'? What's different? Is it just on the GT or the sedan too?
I don't know... This is what the dealer told me so maybe we should take that with a grain of salt.
I will ask him for a detailed explanation and if I hear back from him I'll post it here.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Yeah please do. Its a little disturbing that I have yet to take delivery of my 2012 vehicle and its already the "older" model.
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #16
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrko View Post
Yeah please do. Its a little disturbing that I have yet to take delivery of my 2012 vehicle and its already the "older" model.
I totally understand your point. I would recommend you to speak to your dealer and ask if there is really something happening or not as I will only be able to speak again with the guy who told me this next week... Maybe they just revised the pricing coinciding with taking orders for the M550d, as for what I have seen only the basis price of the car itself has suffered an increase of 200 euros from 59,950 to 60,150 EUR and the Surround View Pack is now 1,880 instead 1,850 EUR. All the rest is unchanged. Probably the dealer didn't know what the hell he was talking about, which unfortunately is not unheard of...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Items I thoroughly considered but chose not to add (and why not):

..Alarm. For the simple reason that no one cares if a car sounds an alarm and at most your neighbors will call the cops to tow the car away (not to go after the burglars).
Interesting. Does your insurance company accept a 100,000 EUR car without an alarm?
In Holland they even insist on installing a track/trace recovery system.

I guess they don't steal bimmers in Portugal

Btw, congrats! Awesome wagon.
      03-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
I doubt my dealer would know much about it either, I guess its a universal thing.....this collective lack of the latest info on the dealer's part. I also find it intriguing how BMW would make the current black panel display even better, although I expect to be perfectly happy with the current one.
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinF10 View Post
Interesting. Does your insurance company accept a 100,000 EUR car without an alarm?
In Holland they even insist on installing a track/trace recovery system.

I guess they don't steal bimmers in Portugal

Btw, congrats! Awesome wagon.
As striking as it may sound, insurance companies in Portugal only ask if the car will have a garage and what district/municipality I will be living in so that they can factor in the sinistrality indices into the premium I have to pay. But I will only insure it there when I move back in 2014. Until then I will insure it in Germany, where there is also no obligation—or any impact, for that matter—from having an alarm.

I was inclined to adding the alarm but, as I said, when an alarm sounds people normally tend to call the police to tow the car away other than to say that there might be some crime going on. That, and any criminal who tries to steal this kind of car will normally be professional and will know how to kill the alarm off in seconds.

Last edited by rhinosaur; 03-02-2012 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmernerd View Post
A great spec IMO, your F11 will be a beaut in Sophisto Grey - almost like mine!

The options I regret I did not choose are comfort access for the boot and heated steering wheel (I live in Sweden...)

If money was no object I would have chosen all the goodies too, even Nappa leather and leather for the dashboard...

On the other hand, then I would have waited for the new M550d xDrive. 0-100 km/h in 4,7 sec with great MPG figures...!
Thanks, Bimmernerd!
What color is yours? Carbon black? I also love that color but I prefer a lighter color in order to highlight a bit more the shadow line. Not that sophisto is even close to being a light gray!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
Bimmernerd
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 530dM xDrive F11 2012

Smile

Quote:
Thanks, Bimmernerd!
What color is yours? Carbon black? I also love that color but I prefer a lighter color in order to highlight a bit more the shadow line. Not that sophisto is even close to being a light gray!
No, my car is a Sophisto Grey 530d xDrive Touring with M Sport package, Shadowline, Dakota leather Oyster/Black, dark wood, 351 M 19" wheels. I really like the color combination together with Shadowline. Sophisto Grey can look almost black in the evenings or if it is cloudy. In broad daylight and the sun it is lighter, more grey, very nice! The thing is I had decided on Carbon Black but changed my mind in the last minute...I think it is easier to maintain Sophisto Grey than Carbon Black.

BTW, have you thought about getting a M550d instead of 535d? If you cut down on some of your options the price will probably be close to a less optioned M550d.

Last edited by Bimmernerd; 03-02-2012 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrko View Post
I doubt my dealer would know much about it either, I guess its a universal thing.....this collective lack of the latest info on the dealer's part. I also find it intriguing how BMW would make the current black panel display even better, although I expect to be perfectly happy with the current one.
Today I spoke with the seller from another dealer I am negotiating with here in Germany. There are supposedly no changes other than the fact that the M550d has been included in the 5 Series portfolio.
I guess that they have only adjusted the car price for inflation on some of its components as the only adjustments were made to the car's basis pricepoint (+200 eur) as well as to the Surround View Package (+30 eur). Everything else has remained unchanged, at least when considering my setup.
Appreciate 0