2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Luxury Seating Package vs. Multicontour Seats

11-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #23
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Since you have a budget, HK sound and MC seats make a great deal of sense. Out of the remaining low cost options I'd highly recommend the shades- good for privacy and shade from the sun.
Have you compared with DHP and without. I can't find a dealer with a car that has a DHP equipped car. So, it is impossible for me to compare. I feel like my car will be incomplete without, but no way to test for myself. I have heard equally that it is needed, and that it isn't. I would rather err on the side of performance, but it is a very expensive option.

Any thought? Bmwlvr60
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #24
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Diesel:

In another thread I mentioned that the car I really wanted was a loaded 535d X Drive which would've added $12,000 to my purchase price. I decided to buy a 528ix and am very happy.

I care about performance too and software update for the steering in 2014 models tightened it up. There's much more feel than 2013 models- I test drove many of them.

The suspension has been tightened up for 2014 also. When I put my 528 into sport mode it roars.

Since you're buying a 535d the horsepower is greater and torque is off the charts. You mentioned you're on a budget so I'm not going to recommend that you spend $3500 on DHP. I don't think you'll miss it.

As previously stated H-K sound, shades are inexpensive value options. Add sport paddles too since you like performance and heated front seats since you like to drive to the mountains.

I've never seen an X3 or 5 Series with DHP on their lot. DHP is a niche option. 528's don't have DHP as an option for 2014 and I don't miss it.

Rumors of a future Eco Credit continue. That could mean a $3500 savings for you. It won't be available retroactively, you may want to wait.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Diesel:

In another thread I mentioned that the car I really wanted was a loaded 535d X Drive which would've added $12,000 to my purchase price. I decided to buy a 528ix and am very happy.

I care about performance too and software update for the steering in 2014 models tightened it up. There's much more feel than 2013 models- I test drove many of them.

The suspension has been tightened up for 2014 also. When I put my 528 into sport mode it roars.

Since you're buying a 535d the horsepower is greater and torque is off the charts. You mentioned you're on a budget so I'm not going to recommend that you spend $3500 on DHP. I don't think you'll miss it.

As previously stated H-K sound, shades are inexpensive value options. Add sport paddles too since you like performance and heated front seats since you like to drive to the mountains.

I've never seen an X3 or 5 Series with DHP on their lot. DHP is a niche option. 528's don't have DHP as an option for 2014 and I don't miss it.

Rumors of a future Eco Credit continue. That could mean a $3500 savings for you. It won't be available retroactively, you may want to wait.
I love the torque of my 335d, and found the torque of the 535dx just as exhilarating under 80mph. The power drops off noticeably when compared to the 335d above 80 mph. However, the stability and quit of the 535dx are superior.

I decided I would rather have stripped down 535dx than loaded 528ix, for both performance and resale value reasons.

The DHP, fog lights, and color are the biggest hurtles to being satisfied with my purchase.

I appreciate your input on the DHP. That is the most expensive option that I am really conflicted about. I have to find someplace to test drive both.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #26
67R60
Seattle Area
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs,60s Alfa Romeos

DIESEL:

Good job on selecting your options, I debated luxury seats vs. multi contour seats and decided with the MC seats to save $. My only regret is I did not get the backup camera. The 5 is so much bigger than the 3 series that in tight parking situations, I wish I ordered it.

Since you say you are on a budget, the DHP is expensive and so is the lighting package IMHO. I ordered without either option and the lights are just as good as my last 335d.

Sport suspension is a must have item if you are doing the RWD so MSport could be a better choice than the DHP. There are a lot of comments on the board about 535s without sport suspension feeling mushy.

Enjoy your BMW.

1999 M3 Estoril Blue/Dove
1989 325i Delphin Grey
2011 335x LeMans Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #27
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67R60 View Post
DIESEL:

Good job on selecting your options, I debated luxury seats vs. multi contour seats and decided with the MC seats to save $. My only regret is I did not get the backup camera. The 5 is so much bigger than the 3 series that in tight parking situations, I wish I ordered it.

Since you say you are on a budget, the DHP is expensive and so is the lighting package IMHO. I ordered without either option and the lights are just as good as my last 335d.

Sport suspension is a must have item if you are doing the RWD so MSport could be a better choice than the DHP. There are a lot of comments on the board about 535s without sport suspension feeling mushy.

Enjoy your BMW.
I am getting X drive, so the sport suspension is deleted from M-Sports package. That is why I am considering getting DHP, but so expensive. I wish they offered DHP at a discount in conjunction with M-Sport, on X drive models.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #28
newtoav
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i | 2013 X3 2.8 |

I am doing my ED with a pretty fully loaded 535i Luxury. I wanted the DHP, so I wanted the Luxury line to set it apart from the very abundant M-sports in my area. Having had the car for all of a week now, it's interesting to see what options matter to me and which ones don't.

- One thing I didn't get is soft-close doors. The doors are really terrible, and especially the last one to be shut is usually only shut half-way. Interestingly, this is an option I would absolutely get next time.

- Paddle shifters - fun, but they actually make the steering wheel less comfy for my taste

- DHP, interestingly, I can't really tell a great difference between the modes, especially if I disengage the drivetrain and only change the chassis. So, for me the question is - how much better does the car feel in "comfort" with DHP vs. "comfort" without DHP. As I keep driving the car, I think more and more that I would have been fine without it. Kind of like comparing two blue sweaters at the store, and not being able to decide which one to take, but once you get home, regardless which one you picked, you are happy with that one. If you are on a budget, I'd skip DHP, and I think you'll be happy with the stock car. My 2c.

(Incidentally, if there's anyone in the Bay Area with a stock suspension LCI 535i and would like to test drive our two cars back-back, I'd be game. I'd really love to settle this DHP thing in my mind once and for all. Drop me a line...)

- I got the ACC with Stop and Go - remarkably useful - Get it if you can
- Lane departure warning - Annoying, but useful when fatigued 50/50
- Window shades, I had them before and got them again. I think I could live without them now though.
- Butt massager, as said before - skip it. Not worth it. Active ventilated seats - loud. Probably nice in summer though... but also probably something you can easily skip.

- LED lights - probably the most overpriced option, delivering the least bang/$. Totally worth skipping, now that I am driving with the car at night, I can tell you - the lights are great. But so are the Xenons. LED seems like it should be a no-cost option. Unless we can code the intelligent features they have in Europe, I'd really strike it.

- So, for the price of my car, I could have gotten a 550i, M-sport, Exec package and B&O. That would have been a better choice. I really think the B&O system, while overpriced, delivers more value in the car than LEDs and Luxury Seating. The HK is pretty so-so, honestly.

So - hope this stream of consciousness helps a little bit...

Cheers!
2013 X3 28
2014 535i
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
newtoav
United_States
Rep

Now - more specifically on-topic about the seats. Does anyone know if the 535dx M-sport comes with Sports Seats? Bec if it does, I would skip the multi-contour seats and happily live with the sports seats. I think they look better and adjust better to my body - at least the ones I remember from vehicles past. Not sure they are even available anymore.

But, if they are, this would push you to M-Sport, but "save" you $1900
2013 X3 28
2014 535i
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #30
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoav View Post
I am doing my ED with a pretty fully loaded 535i Luxury. I wanted the DHP, so I wanted the Luxury line to set it apart from the very abundant M-sports in my area. Having had the car for all of a week now, it's interesting to see what options matter to me and which ones don't.

- One thing I didn't get is soft-close doors. The doors are really terrible, and especially the last one to be shut is usually only shut half-way. Interestingly, this is an option I would absolutely get next time.

- Paddle shifters - fun, but they actually make the steering wheel less comfy for my taste

- DHP, interestingly, I can't really tell a great difference between the modes, especially if I disengage the drivetrain and only change the chassis. So, for me the question is - how much better does the car feel in "comfort" with DHP vs. "comfort" without DHP. As I keep driving the car, I think more and more that I would have been fine without it. Kind of like comparing two blue sweaters at the store, and not being able to decide which one to take, but once you get home, regardless which one you picked, you are happy with that one. If you are on a budget, I'd skip DHP, and I think you'll be happy with the stock car. My 2c.

(Incidentally, if there's anyone in the Bay Area with a stock suspension LCI 535i and would like to test drive our two cars back-back, I'd be game. I'd really love to settle this DHP thing in my mind once and for all. Drop me a line...)

- I got the ACC with Stop and Go - remarkably useful - Get it if you can
- Lane departure warning - Annoying, but useful when fatigued 50/50
- Window shades, I had them before and got them again. I think I could live without them now though.
- Butt massager, as said before - skip it. Not worth it. Active ventilated seats - loud. Probably nice in summer though... but also probably something you can easily skip.

- LED lights - probably the most overpriced option, delivering the least bang/$. Totally worth skipping, now that I am driving with the car at night, I can tell you - the lights are great. But so are the Xenons. LED seems like it should be a no-cost option. Unless we can code the intelligent features they have in Europe, I'd really strike it.

- So, for the price of my car, I could have gotten a 550i, M-sport, Exec package and B&O. That would have been a better choice. I really think the B&O system, while overpriced, delivers more value in the car than LEDs and Luxury Seating. The HK is pretty so-so, honestly.

So - hope this stream of consciousness helps a little bit...

Cheers!
I am mostly getting the HK option for the stock additional speaker holes.
So, when I upgrade the stereo down the road I don't have to cut holes in the factory panels. I already talked to my stereo guy, and he said there are better after market alternatives than B&O, especially for that kind of money.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #31
newtoav
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I already talked to my stereo guy, and he said there are better after market alternatives than B&O, especially for that kind of money.
I'd love to hear about them, would you let me know when you find out? Very interested in that... Thanks!
2013 X3 28
2014 535i
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #32
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoav View Post
I'd love to hear about them, would you let me know when you find out? Very interested in that... Thanks!
Talk to Don Amann At Unexpected Creations.

(732) 572-1969

Mypearltpi@aol.com
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #33
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lose rear shades and led lights and your almost at an individual color.
I have individual Amaro brown in my 550 and do not have lux seating. I have very option except led, lux seat, BO, and night vision. You need multi contour. You don't need lux imo
      12-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #34
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3NNIS View Post
Lose rear shades and led lights and your almost at an individual color.
I have individual Amaro brown in my 550 and do not have lux seating. I have very option except led, lux seat, BO, and night vision. You need multi contour. You don't need lux imo
Believe me I have thought about the individual color option a lot. Here is my problem concerning ordering that option.

First of all in the individual colors, I am only interested in the Pyrite Brown, and while it seems like a nice color. I just like it better than all the colors available from the website. I would not choose it from a wider offering.

In addition, I can't find a dealer that has that color in inventory. Nor, can I find that many images on the web. I would hate to order that color without first seeing it.

That being said, getting an individual color sets me off down an expensive decision tree. When I select Pyrite Brown, I am forced to purchase PDC for $750, but for $1050 more I can purchase the DA pkg. Which you retrieve about 40% back at resale. So, it is kind of crazy to not purchase the DA pkg, when ordering an individual color.

Further more, I really like the top camera option, and after buying the DA pkg. I open up the possibility of buying the top camera option, and I find myself compelled to buy it.

So $4500 later, I have an individual color that I kind of like. On the other hand, I can spend $ 5000 to get a color I really want, or just skip it and just get one of the 50 shades of grey offered.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #35
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Lover View Post
No way am I leasing, I am buyer. For me leasing makes no sense. I have always bought my cars, and sold them at price that costs me a lot less than leasing per year.

I am definitely am not spending $5,000 on a paint job.
I don't like to buy depreciating assets unless I have a guaranteed fixed end value. With your BMW, you never do unless you lease. Of course you have to weight that against the interest costs (lease v finance) since there are many people who don't pay cash for an $80,000 car.

In the 80's and 90's I purchased all of my BMWs and did pretty well on selling them myself, but that was when I owned 3 series cars. My 1989 5 series was kept for 5 years and I got wholesale for it on a trade after not being able to find a buyer. After that experience, I leased my 1999 540iA at 1.9% for 3 years. I re-leased it for another 2 at a low interest rate and then tried to sell it for its residual value plus a few thousand dollars at the end of the lease. Couldn't sell it. I returned it to the dealership and it sat on their lot for 14 months before they sold it at a value below the residual I had walked away from.

I've leased my current car at .9% and a residual which is 52% of MSRP. If I buy the car out in 3 years, it cost me the cap cost (which I could have paid in cash), plus about $1,200 in interest over 39 months. That is about $30.00/month in interest.

For the small interest cost I can assess:

1. Do I want to keep driving this car, or has it been a lemon?
2. Is the car worth its buyout or much less?
3. Do I want a new car and don't want the hassle of trying to sell the car myself in a market where 5 series cars are hard to sell because of service cost concerns?

I'd agree with you that a 4.9% lease rate and a high lease end residual (set by BMW to make the monthly payment affordable) isn't a good proposition, but if the interest rate is very low, I don't see how buying the car outright makes sense.
      12-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #36
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Believe me I have thought about the individual color option a lot. Here is my problem concerning ordering that option.

First of all in the individual colors, I am only interested in the Pyrite Brown, and while it seems like a nice color. I just like it better than all the colors available from the website. I would not choose it from a wider offering.

In addition, I can't find a dealer that has that color in inventory. Nor, can I find that many images on the web. I would hate to order that color without first seeing it.

That being said, getting an individual color sets me off down an expensive decision tree. When I select Pyrite Brown, I am forced to purchase PDC for $750, but for $1050 more I can purchase the DA pkg. Which you retrieve about 40% back at resale. So, it is kind of crazy to not purchase the DA pkg, when ordering an individual color.

Further more, I really like the top camera option, and after buying the DA pkg. I open up the possibility of buying the top camera option, and I find myself compelled to buy it.

So $4500 later, I have an individual color that I kind of like. On the other hand, I can spend $ 5000 to get a color I really want, or just skip it and just get one of the 50 shades of grey offered.
Top camera is useless. The picture is the poorest of the 3 camera options (top/front side and reverse). I'd say front side view is the best picture but the least used. the rear camera is OK, but nowhere near as clear as the one in our 2011 Odyssey mini van. You might find some value in the top camera to make sure you are in the middle of a parking spot, but after some practice if you can't nail the center of a parking stall, you should drive a bicycle.
      12-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #37
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
I don't like to buy depreciating assets unless I have a guaranteed fixed end value. With your BMW, you never do unless you lease. Of course you have to weight that against the interest costs (lease v finance) since there are many people who don't pay cash for an $80,000 car.

In the 80's and 90's I purchased all of my BMWs and did pretty well on selling them myself, but that was when I owned 3 series cars. My 1989 5 series was kept for 5 years and I got wholesale for it on a trade after not being able to find a buyer. After that experience, I leased my 1999 540iA at 1.9% for 3 years. I re-leased it for another 2 at a low interest rate and then tried to sell it for its residual value plus a few thousand dollars at the end of the lease. Couldn't sell it. I returned it to the dealership and it sat on their lot for 14 months before they sold it at a value below the residual I had walked away from.

I've leased my current car at .9% and a residual which is 52% of MSRP. If I buy the car out in 3 years, it cost me the cap cost (which I could have paid in cash), plus about $1,200 in interest over 39 months. That is about $30.00/month in interest.

For the small interest cost I can assess:

1. Do I want to keep driving this car, or has it been a lemon?
2. Is the car worth its buyout or much less?
3. Do I want a new car and don't want the hassle of trying to sell the car myself in a market where 5 series cars are hard to sell because of service cost concerns?

I'd agree with you that a 4.9% lease rate and a high lease end residual (set by BMW to make the monthly payment affordable) isn't a good proposition, but if the interest rate is very low, I don't see how buying the car outright makes sense.
The problem for me is that I don't know if this is going to be the last car I ever own, or if I will sell it next year.

That is why, I am trying to keep the car as close to the base price as possible, yet pick enough options, so that I will not have buyers remorse.

I have to buy this car below invoice with eco credit, ED, and as many other incentives as possible. Otherwise, I won't buy the car.

If I buy a base car with three options, e.g. (MCS, HK, sunshades), and all the incentives. It won't be hard to sell with a reasonable cost of use.

If I spend $80,000, building it the way I would love too. I would never be able to sell the car, for what it is worth to me, i.e. [for an unreasonable cost of use].

So I have to keep reminding myself, that I am just trying to improve my current ride with AWD and more luggage space.

Just the base car is a big improvement, in those departments, over my current 335d, with a hit in performance.

I could get stuck in this car for 10 years, and I need to be happy with it, while keeping resale high in case I have to flip it in a few years.

This is very hard to do with the BMW 5-series because of the way they cross link options and packages.

It is easy to see why the car is responsible for 50% of BMW profits.

That being said, it is a fantastic car, but hard to equip if you don't have money to burn.

If I was ordering today without the limitations of the package\option trap. I would order it this way:

Base Model
Callisto Gray\Cinnamon
HK (Harmon Kardon)
MCS (Multi-Contour Seats)
DHP (Dynamic Handling Package)
Fog Lights
Automatic Hi-Beams
Sunshades
Satellite radio
Comfort Access Keyless Entry
Paddle Shifters

The way BMW has structured pricing. I have to buy an $80,000 car to buy the $66,000 car I want.

Try to include all those options, and see how much the car costs, and then price the options individually. Prices can be found separately for most of those options on other cars, to give a rough idea.

You are correct it is cheaper to lease the $80,000 version of this car. However, I argue it would be cheaper to own the $62,000 version with maximum incentives.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #38
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Top camera is useless. The picture is the poorest of the 3 camera options (top/front side and reverse). I'd say front side view is the best picture but the least used. the rear camera is OK, but nowhere near as clear as the one in our 2011 Odyssey mini van. You might find some value in the top camera to make sure you are in the middle of a parking spot, but after some practice if you can't nail the center of a parking stall, you should drive a bicycle.
Thanks Grover432, I will scratch the top camera off my list.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #39
carcrazy101
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 5

Colors are boring

I could not agree with you more. The current colors both interior and exterior are so blah. I cannot see why they have to charge so much for custom colors when they can just make them an option when building the vehicle.

The white dash looks nice, but only available with oyster white leather. That will stay clean about 2 weeks in my area.

Quote:
I did, I should have posted. You have to request the color when you order the car, and then it has to be approved by BMW.

BMW charges $5,000 for colors not listed on their website, for your specific vehicle, and rarely are they more than that.

You can get any color that is available that is currently in production for other vehicles, but still must be approved.

Old resurrected colors are possible, but colors in current production are much more likely to be approved.

I wish I had the cash to order a color I like. I hate the idea of buying a $60,000 plus car, and getting it in a color that is just tolerable.

Choosing a 5-series color is like voting for president in the USA. It is the difference between a turd and a douche.

BMW should add to the 5-series colors:

Non-Metallic Crimson Red, Interlagos Blue, and for BMW individual: Agean Blue Metallic and Tanzanite Blue, just to give the cars some color.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #40
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Unlike Grover I find the top view handy and I use it often for maneuvering in tight spaces and for fore and aft orientation in parallel parking spaces (it lets you see the markings defining the limits of the space.) In the US it is combined with the side view cameras, which are also -- if less frequently -- useful. Top view is convenience. Side view is safety.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #41
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

I disagree about the top view camera. I've used it when curb side parking many times over the past 3 years and it saves me from scratching up my rims. For parking lot parking, I use only the rearview camera, when the guide lines are turned on, it is very useful. I would't by an F10 without at least the rearview camera.

If it makes you fell any better (I know it doesn't), it's worse in Canada, you have to chose Luxury, Modern or MSport, then there are 3 packages and pretty much no stand alone options. Gets expensive fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #42
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The problem for me is that I don't know if this is going to be the last car I ever own, or if I will sell it next year.

That is why, I am trying to keep the car as close to the base price as possible, yet pick enough options, so that I will not have buyers remorse.

I have to buy this car below invoice with eco credit, ED, and as many other incentives as possible. Otherwise, I won't buy the car.

If I buy a base car with three options, e.g. (MCS, HK, sunshades), and all the incentives. It won't be hard to sell with a reasonable cost of use.

If I spend $80,000, building it the way I would love too. I would never be able to sell the car, for what it is worth to me, i.e. [for an unreasonable cost of use].

So I have to keep reminding myself, that I am just trying to improve my current ride with AWD and more luggage space.

Just the base car is a big improvement, in those departments, over my current 335d, with a hit in performance.

I could get stuck in this car for 10 years, and I need to be happy with it, while keeping resale high in case I have to flip it in a few years.

This is very hard to do with the BMW 5-series because of the way they cross link options and packages.

It is easy to see why the car is responsible for 50% of BMW profits.

That being said, it is a fantastic car, but hard to equip if you don't have money to burn.

If I was ordering today without the limitations of the package\option trap. I would order it this way:

Base Model
Callisto Gray\Cinnamon
HK (Harmon Kardon)
MCS (Multi-Contour Seats)
DHP (Dynamic Handling Package)
Fog Lights
Automatic Hi-Beams
Sunshades
Satellite radio
Comfort Access Keyless Entry
Paddle Shifters

The way BMW has structured pricing. I have to buy an $80,000 car to buy the $66,000 car I want.

Try to include all those options, and see how much the car costs, and then price the options individually. Prices can be found separately for most of those options on other cars, to give a rough idea.

You are correct it is cheaper to lease the $80,000 version of this car. However, I argue it would be cheaper to own the $62,000 version with maximum incentives.
If you are on a budget (and who isn't) you have to know when to say when. that is what I did: M Sport/Executive/Apps and nothing else. The car drives great with the exception of the heavy on center feel of the M Sport (getting used to it).

In my opinion, if you can find a model year leftover, compromise on options, and find a low interest lease. Now you are in the driver's seat. Lets say the car is $66,000; If you lease at 1.9%, the interest is negligible and after you invest the $66,000 in something, I might argue the interest cost you zero. If you decide o keep the car 10 years, you buy it out at the end and it didn't cost you any more. If you want to drive it a year, you can buy it out and sell it, just as if you had owned it from the get go. In my province, if you buy a car, you pay the pst (state tax) and GST (VAT). If you trade the car and take a wholesale value, you just pay the difference in those taxes on your new car. If you sell it privately and go buy a new car, you pay the taxes all over again on the new car and the guy who bought your car pays the PST again when he registers it. I don't know how it works in your state, but here you need to be sure if this is a long term hold or a short term car. If short term, why pay 13% of $66,000 ($8,500) in taxes? Better to have leased and paid the tax on the portion of the car you "use up".

Some people like to buy a car so they know its paid for and they don't have to make monthly payments. I get that, but economically, especially for you (and regardless of the car's cost) it doesn't make much sense.

We just sold my wife's 2003 Honda Accord. We paid cash for it and she kept it for 11 years, costing around $150.00/month to own (plus some maintenance). You can't do the same with BMWs. If you kept your car 10 years, the option costs you are mulling over now will seem like small change.

A low interest lease is a can't lose proposition. A high interest lease is a different story. If you aren't sure how long you will own the car, I'd lease it. If you will keep it 10 years, buy it.
      12-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #43
Diesel_Lover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you are on a budget (and who isn't) you have to know when to say when. that is what I did: M Sport/Executive/Apps and nothing else. The car drives great with the exception of the heavy on center feel of the M Sport (getting used to it).

In my opinion, if you can find a model year leftover, compromise on options, and find a low interest lease. Now you are in the driver's seat. Lets say the car is $66,000; If you lease at 1.9%, the interest is negligible and after you invest the $66,000 in something, I might argue the interest cost you zero. If you decide o keep the car 10 years, you buy it out at the end and it didn't cost you any more. If you want to drive it a year, you can buy it out and sell it, just as if you had owned it from the get go. In my province, if you buy a car, you pay the pst (state tax) and GST (VAT). If you trade the car and take a wholesale value, you just pay the difference in those taxes on your new car. If you sell it privately and go buy a new car, you pay the taxes all over again on the new car and the guy who bought your car pays the PST again when he registers it. I don't know how it works in your state, but here you need to be sure if this is a long term hold or a short term car. If short term, why pay 13% of $66,000 ($8,500) in taxes? Better to have leased and paid the tax on the portion of the car you "use up".

Some people like to buy a car so they know its paid for and they don't have to make monthly payments. I get that, but economically, especially for you (and regardless of the car's cost) it doesn't make much sense.

We just sold my wife's 2003 Honda Accord. We paid cash for it and she kept it for 11 years, costing around $150.00/month to own (plus some maintenance). You can't do the same with BMWs. If you kept your car 10 years, the option costs you are mulling over now will seem like small change.

A low interest lease is a can't lose proposition. A high interest lease is a different story. If you aren't sure how long you will own the car, I'd lease it. If you will keep it 10 years, buy it.
I will not trade the car in the short-term if it raises the cost of use to a prohibitive level. In that case, I will keep the car long-term.

Trading the car short-term, for me, depends on having a relatively high resale value, . To get that high resale value requires buying, this particular vehicle, heavily incentivized, especially the way options are interlocked.

I am patiently waiting for that day to come. I have built this car 100 ways from Sunday trying to find some sweet spot. I cannot find one.

So, I might be waiting a year. I might buy the car with just an upgraded stereo. I might not buy the car at all. But, I will not buy the car, and take a huge loss at resale time.

I am a buyer, and not a leaser because this might just be the very last car I own.

I can't afford to be standing in my driveway with an expired lease, and no cash for a new car.

I don't usually spend more than a few thousand dollars a year to drive a car, and while this one might cost me a little more. it won't be as much as a lease. I can assure you of that because I will never sell it, and take that kind of loss. That might mean it stays in my garage under cover, and gets willed to one of my heirs.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #44
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I will not trade the car in the short-term if it raises the cost of use to a prohibitive level. In that case, I will keep the car long-term.

Trading the car short-term, for me, depends on having a relatively high resale value, . To get that high resale value requires buying, this particular vehicle, heavily incentivized, especially the way options are interlocked.

I am patiently waiting for that day to come. I have built this car 100 ways from Sunday trying to find some sweet spot. I cannot find one.

So, I might be waiting a year. I might buy the car with just an upgraded stereo. I might not buy the car at all. But, I will not buy the car, and take a huge loss at resale time.

I am a buyer, and not a leaser because this might just be the very last car I own.

I can't afford to be standing in my driveway with an expired lease, and no cash for a new car.

I don't usually spend more than a few thousand dollars a year to drive a car, and while this one might cost me a little more. it won't be as much as a lease. I can assure you of that because I will never sell it, and take that kind of loss. That might mean it stays in my garage under cover, and gets willed to one of my heirs.
You buy any BMW for a long term hold and you will be out a pile of dough. So, like you said, wait for the right deal so you can afford the car and be out the minimum amount possible. For you, that means waiting until the end of the 2014 model year and looking for a leftover 535dx with the fewest options you can find.

With all of your writing about the colours and the various options, it made me think that you were seriously in the market for a new car now to replace your 335d. Personally, given your circumstances, I think the best thing for you is to just keep driving the car you have. If you want to leave something of value to your heirs under a cover, skip the F10 and put the money into a GIC and leave that under covers for them

As to standing in your driveway without cash to pay for the car at buyout time (or a new car). I don't get the difference. If you buy the car you'll be making finance payments. If you lease the car at a low interest rate you'll be making 1/2 the payment of a purchased car and you'll have that cash left at the end of the lease to buy the car (unless you spend it elsewhere in the meantime. The only difference is the interest cost between leasing and financing.