2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Car always Dirty

02-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #23
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish John View Post
I own a 520 M Sport. Does anyone notice that as soon as there is a little water on the road the driver rear panel gets dirty real quick. I am sure it is due to the width of the tires but i hate a dirty car. Can was also covered in tar marks and it isnt the summer yet.

Was tools mud guards dont come form the M Sport but another poster is trying to source them.

Just your thoughts please on the dirt.
I have a TS 520D SE, and compared to my E60 M Sport the car does get a lot dirtier.......

Tar along the flanks is particularly bad, and I am having rear mud flaps fitted at the moment while the car is in for a service.
Alloys also more difficult to keep clean compared to teh E60.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #24
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Maybe in LA, not so in Scotland - unless you particularly like having a dirty car.
What I'm saying, is that there are other ways to keep a car clean than to wash it with soap and water.
      02-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #25
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
What I'm saying, is that there are other ways to keep a car clean than to wash it with soap and water.
Really? Pray tell.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #26
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

I think Gato is referring to spray and wipe ... not something I would feel comfortable with on gritty dirt.
      02-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #27
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Really? Pray tell.
There are many waterless autowash products out there. I wouldn't necessarily use them to wash a filthy car. But what you can do, is maintain the look of a clean car, if that makes sense.
      02-25-2011, 03:16 AM   #28
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
There are many waterless autowash products out there. I wouldn't necessarily use them to wash a filthy car. But what you can do, is maintain the look of a clean car, if that makes sense.
That takes us back to the climate difference between California and Northern Scotland. The roads here are still suffering form the ravages of a particularly harsh winter and a short trip of less than 10 miles can leave the car covered in a mixture of mud, grit, salt and tar spots. I wouldn't consider attempting removal without copious amounts of water and the fact that these waterless products are hard to find up here bears testament to the prevailing conditions.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 04:39 AM   #29
Mtechnique
Old member of E 60 *****!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i M sport

White is white indeed..
Thanks for the recommendation ref Tar Cleaner.

Quote:
Hey, it's white and, regardless of semantics, it's the only white they do unless you go for individual. However, you are perfectly correct to highlight my error and I apologise if I confused you .
As to tar spots: I don't know if you can get it over there, but Autosmart Tardis is amazing stuff - just spray it on and the tar spots dissolve within seconds.
You won't regret getting Alpine White - I find it far easier to maintain than darker colours.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #30
SpawneyGet
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M Sport

Quote:
That takes us back to the climate difference between California and Northern Scotland. The roads here are still suffering form the ravages of a particularly harsh winter and a short trip of less than 10 miles can leave the car covered in a mixture of mud, grit, salt and tar spots. I wouldn't consider attempting removal without copious amounts of water and the fact that these waterless products are hard to find up here bears testament to the prevailing conditions.
I totally agree.

Not sure about other parts of the world but, with the amount of salt we use on English roads in the winter, let alone Scotland, I would personally steamclean the underbody regularly (2 or 3 times in the winter) as well.

Additionally, when I used to work for an automaker in another continent in the early 90s, I remember that the cars bound for Britain had to have additional anti-corrosive treatment because of higher level of salt (is it NaCl?) in the atmosphere. Cannot remember the details like whether it was for the coatings or the steel itself, though, so please don't ask.
Appreciate 0