2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum steering wheel off center

09-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
ajandhek
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

steering wheel off center

hi I jus recently got all my tires balanced on my car cause I had a slight wobble after hitting a pothole..they told me my right rear rim is slightly bent but the balance did take away some of the vibration..but my question is why is my steering wheel off center wasn't like this prior to my balance! car doesn't veer to left or right..do I need an alignment?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
mrashton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G32 6GT; 2014 F45 218i

Hi, Sounds to me like the company performing the balancing didn't put the wheels back on the same corners they came off from. As tires wear there can be slight variances to the amount of wear across the face of a tire. So, if you then remove the wheels and swap front left for front right (as an example), this can cause the steering wheel to be slightly off centre while the car is driving straight ahead. My advice would be to have 4 wheel alignment done to get all the suspension geometry as per BMW spec once again. The alignment company should check to make sure there is near-even wear across each tire before performing the alignment to get the best possible outcome.
Appreciate 0