2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Worth changing tyres at 20,000mi / 3 years for better ride

06-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
Worth changing tyres at 20,000mi / 3 years for better ride

Call me Captain Obvious but you cannot under-estimate how good it is to be back on new tyres. Sure it is safer, esp in the wet and in hard cornering, but most do want to maximise mileage on your current tyres. What you forget is how you get used to a 'lesser' ride gradually over the weeks on old tyres.

I replaced my OEM Pirelli PZeroes RSC at 20,000 miles last week; at 3mm tread depth rear and front; with the same brand/size tyres. Expected some improvement on stopping distance and grip as the old ones had begun to shimmy in the wet ever so little.

Instead, I am absolutely delighted to feel a tighter, more grippy ride i remember as being my textbook BMW drive. Sweetener was getting an excellent deal £318/rear and £299/fronts from Kenilworth Tyres Service in Kenilworth, Warwickshire.

I am not sure stretching out your current tyres to the last possible mile is worth it. So long as you are budgeting for 18,000 to 20,000 miles, its worth changing at 3 years.
Appreciate 0