2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Angel Eyes Bulb Location

06-03-2011, 01:04 AM   #45
smanoj77
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw m240i

Just found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-A...ht_7175wt_1112
Has anyone managed to change these bulbs yet on the F10 with the halogen headlights?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 02:00 AM   #46
lexmedia
Rep
Drives: F10 530d 2012

Hi everyone,

I have a 2011 F10 with halogen headlights and wanted to upgrade the light output using the H8 cree led markers. I tried to find the location of the bulbs about 5-6 hours before calling a friend at the BMW Dealer and the answer was this:

If you have halogen headlights and the angel eyes light is yellow then you are lucky, those are powered by a h8 bulb but if you have halogen headlights with weak white light then those cannot be upgraded because they are powered by led lights that are built in the headlight (that is my case sadly). Then I asked him: what if the angel eyes burn out? He said that his software gives him the following solution to this problem: "change headlight"!

So if you have such a headlight not only you cannot upgrade the bulbs but you also cannot replace them in case they burn out.

Now my only chance would be to code the light module to make the leds brighter. I have seen this done here so it`s possible:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=628190

The ENET cable is on its way. I will post an update when I manage to code my headlights. The angel eyes will still not be as bright as the xenon ones but if it works it will be a big improvement anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #47
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmedia View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a 2011 F10 with halogen headlights and wanted to upgrade the light output using the H8 cree led markers. I tried to find the location of the bulbs about 5-6 hours before calling a friend at the BMW Dealer and the answer was this:

If you have halogen headlights and the angel eyes light is yellow then you are lucky, those are powered by a h8 bulb but if you have halogen headlights with weak white light then those cannot be upgraded because they are powered by led lights that are built in the headlight (that is my case sadly). Then I asked him: what if the angel eyes burn out? He said that his software gives him the following solution to this problem: "change headlight"!

So if you have such a headlight not only you cannot upgrade the bulbs but you also cannot replace them in case they burn out.

Now my only chance would be to code the light module to make the leds brighter. I have seen this done here so it`s possible:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=628190

The ENET cable is on its way. I will post an update when I manage to code my headlights. The angel eyes will still not be as bright as the xenon ones but if it works it will be a big improvement anyway.
You are correct about that.

Other way of changing is to dismantle the headlight and take the white cree led out and replace it with more powerful one. However you will have to think how you are going to dissipate the heat.

Lastly, I have halogen headlights and when I tried to code it to max brightness, it was already on 100%. My car is 2011 euro specs.