2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Can I (finally) read e-mails / text messages from my iPhone on my F10? Or no...

08-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Can I (finally) read e-mails / text messages from my iPhone on my F10? Or no...

Ok, so it has been awhile since I have checked this out. Last October, when I bought my F10, everyone was in agreement that the iPhone would not properly push (or the F10 wold not properly receive) e-mails or text messages unless you hopped on one foot, sang Yankee Doodle Dandee, wore pink Ray Ban's and shouted in Portuguese. I never quite feel like doing any of that.

I have not updated my car's software since I bought it, and still do not see e-mails or text messages populate the Office menu. What's the story/update?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
DocOct
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 - F15 X5

I have an iPhone 4. I can receive text messages and even have the car read them to me out loud if I enable blue tooth. I have yet to see any e-mails.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

How has this not been fixed yet, after over a year?!?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

To my knowledge, there has not been any relevant update to either the Iphone OS, or to the BWM firmware. But mine works nearly perfectly every time. I'm sure there are better posts on this elewhere, and there are a few odd glitches, but with my 2013 F10 delivered in October, the following is very effective:

1) Turn on car and nav system.
2) Hook up Iphone (I have a 4S) via USB cable to the center console jack.
3) Set your Iphone to Notifications. Then select mail and then the e-mail account in question. Set your alert style to "alerts." Also turn on "show preview" and "view in lock screen."
4) Set your Iphone to Bluetooth. Then select your connection to the car and click on the little blue arrow on the right side. Turn on "show noticfications."
5) Double click round button on face of phone (this is the key). Then, hit the red minus signs in the upper left corner of each app that appears at the bottom to deactivate them. I think you need only do this for e-mail, but I usually clear all of them. This is the only part you actually have to do every time you get in your car.

When I do this, I receive all e-mails. Texts come through whether you do this or not. You can look at e-mail and texts on the phone (while at a stop light) without disturbing the connection. It doesn't take very long to set, especially while sporting my pink Ray Bans singing Yankee Doodle Dandy in Portuguese. Is this ridiculous? Of course. But the text to talk is really handy when on a trip of some sort.

Problems I have experienced include multiple versions of one e-mail coming through sometimes. I have no idea why. Anyone? Also, sometimes the text to talk freezes and even when you exit messages, you can't hear music for up to 5 minutes. Very weird.

Good luck.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)

Last edited by Boulder Bill; 08-26-2013 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Whenever I help someone with iDrive and iPhone integration, I ask them to complete the following steps before any other troubleshooting:

Disclaimer: This works with IOS 6 and Bluetooth and Media software carried in update UPD01006. In order for this to work, your phone has to be locked so let it lock before testing the setup.

Get your car’s latest Bluetooth and Media software
(You will need the last seven characters of your VIN and a small capacity (10MB) USB data stick):
Go to the BMW Software Update site:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp
Enter your VIN in the data field and press Enter to make the web site read your VIN
Download the latest version of software and copy it to a USB data stick

Remove your Car from your phone
Go to your car with your phone and the USB data stick
Turn your phone’s Bluetooth OFF
Start your car
Insert the USB data stick in the USB socket in the center console armrest storage area

Remove your phone from iDrive
Update the car’s software
Using the iDrive armrest controller,
Press the iDrive MENU button, navigate to:
Settings => Software Update => Update Software
Follow the prompts and allow the car to update the software
(You can always revert to an older version using the same menu)

Configure the CAR’s Bluetooth features
Select all of the features that apply to your situation.
For example, my features are Bluetooth Audio, Office, Show images, and Additional telephone

Rediscover and connect your phone
Turn on your phone’s Bluetooth
Add your phone
During the configuration, select all of the features that apply to your situation.
For example, my only configuration option selected is Telephone
(I have a snap-in adapter, so Audio doesn’t come through Bluetooth)

Configure your Phone’s SMS and email notification settings
Settings => Notifications => Messages or Mail (The same parameters apply to both)
Notification Center: ON
Alert Style: Alerts
Badge App Icon: ON
Show Preview: ON
View in Lock Screen: ON

Configure your Phone’s Bluetooth notification settings
Settings => Bluetooth
On your car’s label, click on the little blue circle with the white arrow on the right side
Turn on "show notifications."

Last edited by MWPos; 08-28-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
mark824
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5, CP, Imperial Blue

Thanks for the greats info. I will hopefully have my 2013 F10 550i by the end of the week and look forward to the updated tech coming from a 2007 550i. Looks simple to update.

I have an iPhone with iOS 7 so it should be interesting to see how the F10 and iOS play together.

Thanks

Mark
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I know there are a lot of variables here but my F10 (2012 build) does wotk with my Iphone 4 in this respect.
The iphone came with 6.1.3 on it out of the box and after a few changes to settings (whcih I can't recall at the moment but coulkd dig out if you desire) was able to show up messages within 'Office' on the idrive. It can then read them out if you want.

I know that the iphone has to be locked for thsi to work so you need to give it a few minutes to lock before trying.

I updated the bluetooth software to the latest at thetime (only did this a couple of months back now) although not sure that was necessary.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
short update i am on IOS7 beta since day one and there is no changes to the Bluetooth protocol so still no Emails only SMS work.

They could change it with the public GM release but i highly doubt it.
08 E92 335i FBO 6MT 427 whp space grey
05 E46 M3 red
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
DitrasetMan
Private First Class
Rep

Is it just me, or is nuts that e-mails and text messages do not work without the above-mentioned steps? I love having a $60k car that can't do something a Ford Taurus can do.

Last edited by DitrasetMan; 08-28-2013 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
The full DIY post is here:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882491

The fact that these posts exist, at all, proves that this is not easy

But then again, what else would we possibly want to do with our spare time?

08-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
shoek
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitrasetMan View Post
Is it just me, or is nuts that e-mails and text messages do not work without the above-mentioned steps?
On my iPhone 5 with iOS 6.1.3 after using MWPos steps I can get SMS but not mail. Not sure why... earlier iPhone/iOS seemed to be better at it. Some claim a jailbreak is needed to enhance Bluetooth notifications.

2013 BMW 550i xDrive Alpine White [300] | Black Dakota [LCSW] | Anthracite [4CE]
Options: M-Sport [ZMP] | DDC+ARS [ZDF] | Exec [ZDB] | Driver Assist/+ [ZDA+ZDB] | Cold [ZCW] | SAT [2TB]
Mods: MORR VS8.2 + PSS (20" 255F/285R) | ACS Springs | Dinan Stage 2 | StopTech BBK
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 12:04 AM   #12
EV0LVE
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
The full DIY post is here:
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882491

The fact that these posts exist, at all, proves that this is not easy

But then again, what else would we possibly want to do with our spare time?

Is this part of your unlimited coding luxury plus plus double plus package? If so, I'm interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #13
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
Come on by, and I can "hook you up."

Will you be going to LA tomorrow? We can take care of this after lunch...
      09-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
zsm722
Der Testfahrer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport/W140 S420/GTI

with iOS 7, if you use the Iphone dock, when you connect to scroll through the playlists (iPod out) etc, iTunes Radio functionality is enabled! kinda cool, works really well and great sound quality
Appreciate 0