2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum e10 gas and my 4.4L

02-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #23
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh View Post
E85 is 15% ethanol not 85% ethanol. E10 is the standard for Florida with 93 being the highest octane level for Supreme.
Wow, so when you say standard are you saying that you have to get e10? Sad if so.
      02-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #24
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Yea, I havent looked into it much but 4.4L V8, wouldnt feel comfortable unless no choice in running anything less then 98 RON. I mean, why would 95 be better then 98 RON?

I am going to do an experiment this next few weeks, I will tank up on 99 RON / run it out measure MPG, then see if this fuel is best. Just for my own satisfaction.
      02-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #25
The German
Germany
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
OK I just re-read the Owners Hand book and this is ALL it says about fuels; "It is recommended to use unleaded premium grade petrol with 95 ron. Unleaded fuel qualities with 91ron and higher are permitted".
It does not say "Required".
Prohaps UK 95 Ron is better than other countries 98 Ron fuels!!!!
I don't say that they recommend to use RON 98, they recommend to use RON 95.
But the values for consumption and performance are based on RON 98!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 05:13 AM   #26
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The German View Post
I don't say that they recommend to use RON 98, they recommend to use RON 95.
But the values for consumption and performance are based on RON 98!
Thanks for the post, I will see what results "Change" I get from the 99 RON fuel. Thanks again and no offence intended if you felt there was some.
      02-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #27
The German
Germany
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Thanks for the post, I will see what results "Change" I get from the 99 RON fuel. Thanks again and no offence intended if you felt there was some.
No problem, this is what a forum is for!
And it is not easy to find, it isn't in the manual, just in the broshure.
Don't trust germans!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

Quote:
Wow, so when you say standard are you saying that you have to get e10? Sad if so.
Conventional gasoline, without ethanol, is no longer available at retail stations due to federal and state regulations mandating ethanol use in gasoline. You can thank our (U.S.) clueless government for mandating ethanol in fuel. We all lose approx 3 to 4 percent economy with E10. Conventional gasoline is only available at marinas in Florida.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #29
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Is that mandate across all the USA?

Happy my 550 wont have to be subject to such a crappy diet here in Deutschland.
      02-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #30
nicolak
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 F350 17 i3 REx

In the US there are talks about E15 being introduced on a voluntary basis. Fuel stations can choose which level of fuel they wish to sell. As it stands now all fuel stations sell fuel blended with ethanol per law in the US up to 10 percent.

I am in the automotive repair business. I cannot stress how damaging ethanol is on evaporative systems that are not flex fuel/E85 capable. I am often diagnosing small leaks caused by the alcohol damaging either rubber lines or sensitive pintles in vent solenoids/etc.

Not sure who to blame for our terrible fuel but I do put most of it on lobbyist that are more so into it for the financial gains rather then the supposed benefit of ethanol. The only sensible reason I have heard for our fuel is to reduce foreign dependency. IDK, thank a tree hugger I guess.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/0...22344520110121
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #31
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Its really funny. This efuel along with many other "green" products are slowly becoming discovered to be extremely expensive and not as good at the end of the day as the 'good old stuff". I wont digress this forum into anything other then BMW related so I will stop there.

Thanks for your insight Nicolak.
      02-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #32
97mdrei
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Is that mandate across all the USA?

Happy my 550 wont have to be subject to such a crappy diet here in Deutschland.
No. Many locations in many states still offer 'corn-free' gas...you just may have to work a little harder to get it. In the Mid-Atlantic, for instance, MD only offers pure gas east of the Chesapeake Bay. In VA, only the Northern VA counties (similar to the ones that enforce emissions inspections) ban 'corn-free' gas. Pure gas is still available in many locations throughout VA, south of NoVA.

This link provides a fairly accurate list of stations offering the 'alternative' and I believe is still updated regularly:

http://pure-gas.org/
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 03:31 AM   #33
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Okay, you have some weird obsession with 98. I don't even get it. I don't even care. I'm going to use the fuel that the manual recommends. Where are you driving that you need the maximum amount of power to be put out at any and all times?

And let's revisit your remark, "Sad if so." No, it's not sad, because it's the way it is, and it's not detrimental to the car in any noticeable way. It's disgusting the way you present yourself. I have money so I don't care about paying a lot for gasoline I don't need just so I can say I spent more money on my car that I think is so grande to begin with. That's how you sound.

I have money too, and I spend it any damn way I please, so to go and try and belittle an American for having to submit him or herself to the federal legislation, something we cannot change, where does that get you? Does it make you happy knowing that you live that much closer to BMW AG headquarters?

Your car is a luxury sedan, a performance luxury sedan, but it is not a race car. It is not a special car, it is an expensive car, it is an expression of care for driving experience and comfort in one package. GREAT. Leave it at that. Telling us how much you can spend on a car and on gasoline doesn't make your d*ck any bigger, or should I say, less small.

So if you're going to be rude to other people about the choices they make or the choices they are forced to make, then please feel free to leave this thread, and don't come back until you've smashed your head with your car door a few times, at least the brain damage will make you funny, rather than imbecile.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:19 AM   #34
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I have no evidence, most things I do I do with no hard evidence. For a buck or two a tank, who cares? At the minimum, like I said, it does nothing, but between you and me, I find that hard to believe.
Why so hard to believe?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...emium_-feature

Our tests confirm that for most cars there is no compelling reason to buy more expensive fuel than the factory recommends, as any performance gain realized will surely be far less than the percentage hike in price.

Yes, the M3 lost power. It's rated to run on 93 minimum.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #35
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jbh View Post
E85 is 15% ethanol not 85% ethanol. E10 is the standard for Florida with 93 being the highest octane level for Supreme.
100% Incorrect. E85 is 85% Ethanol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #36
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Okay, you have some weird obsession with 98. I don't even get it. I don't even care. I'm going to use the fuel that the manual recommends. Where are you driving that you need the maximum amount of power to be put out at any and all times?

And let's revisit your remark, "Sad if so." No, it's not sad, because it's the way it is, and it's not detrimental to the car in any noticeable way. It's disgusting the way you present yourself. I have money so I don't care about paying a lot for gasoline I don't need just so I can say I spent more money on my car that I think is so grande to begin with. That's how you sound.

I have money too, and I spend it any damn way I please, so to go and try and belittle an American for having to submit him or herself to the federal legislation, something we cannot change, where does that get you? Does it make you happy knowing that you live that much closer to BMW AG headquarters?

Your car is a luxury sedan, a performance luxury sedan, but it is not a race car. It is not a special car, it is an expensive car, it is an expression of care for driving experience and comfort in one package. GREAT. Leave it at that. Telling us how much you can spend on a car and on gasoline doesn't make your d*ck any bigger, or should I say, less small.

So if you're going to be rude to other people about the choices they make or the choices they are forced to make, then please feel free to leave this thread, and don't come back until you've smashed your head with your car door a few times, at least the brain damage will make you funny, rather than imbecile.
wow freaking hilarious. Dude, your holiday is overdue. Seriously.

I will simply say, ethanol alchohol is detrimental to cars and most performace testing is posted with the caveat that it is using 98 RON fuel. So, when I spend the amount of money I did on a "performance luxury sedan" lol, I really think its a racecar though, it feels like one to me, and it is very special, is it wrong to decide that I will spend the extra buck or two for the best gas to not only prevent any possible damage to my car but to also provide the maximum performance benefit since I often drive at speeds around 120 - 140 mph?

More striking is your intolerance for others views. I have looked at a lot of threads since I joined this forum and never seen a reply like this. I have to say, you got some serious issues with tolerance and American principles like freedom of speech which normally doesnt coincide with telling someone to get out of the thread and not come back ... what are you 4?

At the end of the day, you have to be an ass to deal with in real life, glad there is an ocean seperating us. Tchuss!

Last edited by delvek; 03-11-2011 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 09:30 AM   #37
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
wow freaking hilarious. Dude, your holiday is overdue. Seriously.

I will simply say, ethanol alchohol is detrimental to cars and most performace testing is posted with the caveat that it is using 98 RON fuel. So, when I spend the amount of money I did on a "performance luxury sedan" lol, I really think its a racecar though, it feels like one to me, and it is very special, is it wrong to decide that I will spend the extra buck or two for the best gas to not only prevent any possible damage to my car but to also provide the maximum performance benefit since I often drive at speeds around 120 - 140 mph?

More striking is your intolerance for others views. I have looked at a lot of threads since I joined this forum and never seen a reply like this. I have to say, you got some serious issues with tolerance and American principles like freedom of speech which normally doesnt coincide with telling someone to get out of the thread and not come back ... what are you 4?

At the end of the day, you have to be an ass to deal with in real life, glad there is an ocean seperating us. Tchuss!
Alright well clearly you are too stubborn to understand the rationale of this dispute, in any event, I'm glad I'm not illiterate like you. Could your English be more reminiscent of google translate?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #38
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep

(deleted post, decided not to engage in this guys venom)

Last edited by delvek; 03-11-2011 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #39
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
(deleted post, decided not to engage in this guys venom)
It's not WRONG for you to do it, but to advertise that you feel sorry for those who do not or cannot, well it's just rude.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 02:45 AM   #40
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok here are my findings so far;
99 Ron fuel = 26/27MPG some blasting

95 Ron fuel = 26/27MPG some blasting

This over a 250 mile round trip both times to the same place on the same roads.

My conclusions are Use the cheap stuff.
      03-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #41
a_wagner
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 523i F11

The European Union has decided that E10 will replace 95 octane in the whole EU. So I suppose we will see more of the stuff.

According to BMW in Sweden itīs not a problem as long as you fill the tank with the recommended octane. So if it says 95 in the manual you can use E10. If it says 98, then you have to fill your car with 98.

E85 is 85% Ethanol and 15% gasoline. In the wintertime it changes to 75% Ethanol and 25% Gasoline. But that is for Sweden.

// Anders
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #42
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

http://www.e10bensiini.fi/e10_compatible_motors/
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 04:08 PM   #43
Hellboy550i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
My 550 is usually spent at minimum 100mph so fuel economy is not a factor. I hear you on the 95 RON but 98 RON would not be a bad thing, if anything it could have a smidgen of goodness. On my last 550 I would get 98 RON but at least 95 RON.

eCrap is shite! I am actually offended that someone had the nerve to bring it to my local station causing me to have to research and hence learning that there is shite being pushed in my community. Hmm ... thinking of a slogan ... this is your brain on crack = this is your car on eCrap.
Costco have 87 &. 93 octane petrol .. which Is recommend ?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 04:41 PM   #44
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahamad23 View Post
Costco have 87 &. 93 octane petrol .. which Is recommend ?
91 is the recommended minimum octane. That said, use 93.
Appreciate 0