2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 520d F10 M Sport Step Auto Offer - Deal or Gimmick?

09-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 520d M Sport Plus

520d F10 M Sport Step Auto Offer - Deal or Gimmick?

Hello everyone

Ive come to the end of my PCP on my F30 from 2012. Been to the dealership today as they had some sort of "platinum event" and got what seems to be a great offer. But as I havnt had the time to shop around due to various commitments I am looking for some advice. I did do the basics of going down to the dealership towards the end of the quarter and started negotiations as though I would be getting the car on cash. I then got offered a PCP with a £10000 cash discount of the list price which is where alarm bells started to ring. This car is at the BMW storage facility so I can get it within 2 weeks or under. The car on offer is a brand new 520d M Sport with some goodies amounting to about £7500.

Derivative - 520d F10 M Sport Step Auto in Carbon Black with Oyster Leather interior

Goodies include:
1. M Sport Plus Package (19" alloys, Spoiler, Harmon speakers etc)
2. Pro Media Package
3. Auto with gearshift paddles
4. Adaptive LED lights
5. Reversing Camera

So the total for this spec was around 43k as per the website configuration and they have now offered it to me at around £33k. Considering the G30 shape will be available early next year or maybe before would this be a good deal/car to go for? Not sure if I could get this spec within this price range on the G30? 33k is kind of the top of my budget.

Is this a deal worth considering?

P.S. There will be no part exchange on my F30 as Ive gone over my mileage allowance by quite a bit and have some scuffs and dings so the current value and the outstanding balloon leave me with £0 as they have offered to match the valuation to the outstanding. They even beat the price from Autotrader
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 12:53 AM   #2
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 520d M Sport

Taking into account the imminent arrival of the G30 - I would be using that as a leverage for further a reduction in price. Have you built the same spec in Coast 2 Coast? - that will give you a very good starting point in terms of what price to try and negotiate.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 01:43 AM   #3
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc View Post
Taking into account the imminent arrival of the G30 - I would be using that as a leverage for further a reduction in price. Have you built the same spec in Coast 2 Coast? - that will give you a very good starting point in terms of what price to try and negotiate.
To be honest, I never knew about Coast to Coast but having checked it out now for my spec and trim it comes up at just over 34k. So it appears I have got a good deal? The dealership mentioned I will be getting the car at cost price...

http://www.coast2coastcars.co.uk/car-quote/

I'm guessing this is what you were referring to?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 02:30 AM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsirk View Post
Hello everyone

Ive come to the end of my PCP on my F30 from 2012. Been to the dealership today as they had some sort of "platinum event" and got what seems to be a great offer. But as I havnt had the time to shop around due to various commitments I am looking for some advice. I did do the basics of going down to the dealership towards the end of the quarter and started negotiations as though I would be getting the car on cash. I then got offered a PCP with a £10000 cash discount of the list price which is where alarm bells started to ring. This car is at the BMW storage facility so I can get it within 2 weeks or under. The car on offer is a brand new 520d M Sport with some goodies amounting to about £7500.

Derivative - 520d F10 M Sport Step Auto in Carbon Black with Oyster Leather interior

Goodies include:
1. M Sport Plus Package (19" alloys, Spoiler, Harmon speakers etc)
2. Pro Media Package
3. Auto with gearshift paddles
4. Adaptive LED lights
5. Reversing Camera

So the total for this spec was around 43k as per the website configuration and they have now offered it to me at around £33k. Considering the G30 shape will be available early next year or maybe before would this be a good deal/car to go for? Not sure if I could get this spec within this price range on the G30? 33k is kind of the top of my budget.

Is this a deal worth considering?

P.S. There will be no part exchange on my F30 as Ive gone over my mileage allowance by quite a bit and have some scuffs and dings so the current value and the outstanding balloon leave me with £0 as they have offered to match the valuation to the outstanding. They even beat the price from Autotrader
£30K
should be achievable IMO.
I got 30% off my order for October, £64K car all in cost to me £43K.
Big Forward valuation on my car also, so great deal.
      09-19-2016, 03:01 AM   #5
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

If it is in BMW storage then it could have been there a good while. Don't assume storage means under cover. Get the VIN number and check the build date.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 03:26 AM   #6
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
£30K
should be achievable IMO.
I got 30% off my order for October, £64K car all in cost to me £43K.
Big Forward valuation on my car also, so great deal.
I guess I can try that if I go for a new order. This one is on a car already in BMW UK storage, hasn't been registered to anyone yet so still in effect brand new but not customisable. It has most options I wanted anyway. Only compromise is the wood line interior trim which isn't to my liking but I plan to get that wrapped.

If I put in a new order could be November delivery...it does make sense to get a further discount on it if I am prepared to wait. Only question is since the value isn't 50k plus or high end would they stretch up to 30%...

Wait...have I just answered my own question

Last edited by hsirk; 09-19-2016 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: Add text
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 04:32 AM   #7
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Grabble View Post
If it is in BMW storage then it could have been there a good while. Don't assume storage means under cover. Get the VIN number and check the build date.
Good tip, didnt cross my mind. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #8
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

If you're going to order new, I'd get that order in now as I think the G30 is starting to be produced from November onwards.

My guess is that discounts on the G30 will be small at first and increase over the years like the F10 did.

I got 12% off mine in 2012 but as you can see here, people have been getting 25% or even 30% off very recently.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 06:00 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
So is this deal really more about the cost of change, than simply the cost of the new car? Is the deal sweetened with 'value' they've put on the old car? In other words, are they supporting you in clearing a car of less value than they are offering you?

If so, what is it worth? You have to add that in to the man maths discount.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
So is this deal really more about the cost of change, than simply the cost of the new car? Is the deal sweetened with 'value' they've put on the old car? In other words, are they supporting you in clearing a car of less value than they are offering you?

If so, what is it worth? You have to add that in to the man maths discount.
My old car has done 64500 odd miles when I was meant to do 40000 as per the PCP. Also the wife added a couple of dings during her course of learning to drive. Alloys in bad shape too! The balloon payment on it was £9755 and few places valued the car between £8900 to £9600, its just a basic SE with no extras apart from the bi-xenons. The dealership offered to match the balloon payment if I took the deal on the 520d, Im sure they aint losing out, but am I???

Ive left this too late so not keen to pay the outstanding and keep the car till the G30 arrives. Also when the G30 arrives, would I get this same spec for a similar price? 4 years down the line I know I may not be in a great position with the F10 but that's the risk I guess I will have to take?

Other contenders were the Mercedes Benz GLC or Audi A6 (I know its a crazy mix) but the GLC is beyond my budget and the A6 I am not too sure about and seems too long!!! And Ive test driven a few others including these, none felt as great as the BMW
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 09:05 AM   #11
silo24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI 535d

Reality is if you DON'T pay the balloon payment you are on the hook for excess mileage. that's going to be somewhere between £2-3k depending on the mileage rate on your PCP. If you do pay, obviously that is not relevant.

Therefore you need to subtract the excess mileage from the headline price too....

Seems like a very keen deal to me....and helps you avoid any remedial fees for bodywork and alloys.
      09-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #12
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silo24 View Post
Reality is if you DON'T pay the balloon payment you are on the hook for excess mileage. that's going to be somewhere between £2-3k depending on the mileage rate on your PCP. If you do pay, obviously that is not relevant.

Therefore you need to subtract the excess mileage from the headline price too....

Seems like a very keen deal to me....and helps you avoid any remedial fees for bodywork and alloys.
Yes true...so in my case the excess mileage wont apply as they will consider this as a part exchange!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes true...so in my case the excess mileage wont apply as they will consider this as a part exchange!
In that case you have a reasonable deal IMO.
      09-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
That's what I was thinking, if the garage are absorbing the outstanding costs on the old car.

They may not be losing on the deal, but there is value to the buyer, as we are back to the real cost of change.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #15
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That is reassuring, thank you!

The balloon on this car if I opted for PCP would be around 15k...if I do reasonable miles and its maintained well, I could still fetch that kind of price or little more if I paid up and sold it elsewhere, cant I? Or even part ex'd again with BMW?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #16
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That is reassuring, thank you!

The balloon on this car if I opted for PCP would be around 15k...if I do reasonable miles and its maintained well, I could still fetch that kind of price or little more if I paid up and sold it elsewhere, cant I? Or even part ex'd again with BMW?
Your onto a winner IMO, go for it.
      09-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #17
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Your onto a winner IMO, go for it.
They now also have offered a very similar deal on the 525d but that will be my max...make a decision in couple of hours. Thanks guys!!!
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #18
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They now also have offered a very similar deal on the 525d but that will be my max...make a decision in couple of hours. Thanks guys!!!
IF the 525D M Sport has the same or more options then go that way, if on the otherhand it has LESS than you want stick with the 520, good luck and box clever.
      09-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #19
silo24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI 535d

One other thing to consider:

Get a price for a PCP for the 'real' mileage you are going to do and also for the lowest mileage they will let you set (usually 8,000 miles).

You may find additional savings by going with the lower mileage and accepting that you may have a mileage penalty at the end. as you are finding out, you may never pay the mileage penalty....
      09-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #20
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silo24 View Post
One other thing to consider:

Get a price for a PCP for the 'real' mileage you are going to do and also for the lowest mileage they will let you set (usually 8,000 miles).

You may find additional savings by going with the lower mileage and accepting that you may have a mileage penalty at the end. as you are finding out, you may never pay the mileage penalty....
Realistically I would do about 13000 but I am taking it on the 8000 to keep costs low and like now will just part ex it and wont have to deal with any charges...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #21
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
IF the 525D M Sport has the same or more options then go that way, if on the otherhand it has LESS than you want stick with the 520, good luck and box clever.
525d pretty much has the same stuff but is solid black with black leather, costs 1100 quid more for some reason which means another 20 quid monthly. Is there a big difference in the mileage I would attain from a full tank? And mainly is it worth the extra horses driving mainly in London
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #22
hsirk
Sport Mode Fanatic
United Kingdom
Rep

Just stuck to the 520d and have gone ahead with the purchase. Got them to fit M Performance black grills for free so one more small little win!
Appreciate 0