2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions N63! Intake

11-27-2017, 11:46 PM   #23
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i

There we go lol

I'll add more here over the night cause his is by far the hardest to hear and had to pull from my Facebook sorry
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #24
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

Can I resuse these type of Spectre filters that I use to run on my N54 on my N63 or are they too large?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712499
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 01:08 PM   #25
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creynolds View Post
Okay this is short sweet and to the point let's get it.

Supplies:
2 cone intakes bought from autozone 15-20$ a piece
2 flex intakes tubes- they sell them for 20$ a piece
Caulk or High heat sealer
Clamps.

Okay step one is Removing Stock intake system, to do this your easiest bet is remove the cross bars that are on either side above the intake tubes.(don't even know official nAme of these)
?
I used a 5/8ths or a 15mm socket to get the bolts out...

The intake tube is connected by simple push/slip on connections. Taking a body tool or flat head and creating a slight gap will allow you to remove the connection.
There are 3. One at the front near the radiator and kidney grills. One at the intake air box/silencer and one at the curves intake that mounts into the turbo.
Remove entire assembly up to this last connection before the intake into the turbo. The small clamps can be removed with flat head, 1/4 inch socket or 6mm.
?
Be careful when removing and installing, the intake into the turbo can be flexed and can break its small mounting plastics which will compromise your connection into the turbo.
?

Take airbox out (don't forget to unplug ur maf) and remove all torx screws. T20 I believe. And then remove the air filter. Leave the maf... reconnect the airbox pieces and screw torx bits back in. You will notice a slight gap where the airbox and silencer was. This is where your sealant will go. This is also very important that you can't leave a gap or it will produce a MAF code.
"Too much volume" typically is a great indication of a maf code produced by a intake system not properly sealed.
After it's sealed you can then reinstall your flexible tubing to your connections at the airbox.
?
I recommend removing the kidney grill to fit your cones in(only one necessary) as well as connecting your flex tubing and cone together with clamps. .. it's just too hard to fit your tubing into the cone after it's been attached to the air box.
Clamps should be applied at the cone, clamps around the flex and airbox connection and airbox into stock intake tube that runs into the turbo.

Ya this diy sucks but I have been super busy. Any questions feel free to ask anytime

Did you remove your shutter grille in front of the radiator?
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35247
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #26
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535_BiTurbo View Post
Quote:
Okay this is short sweet and to the point let's get it.

Supplies:
2 cone intakes bought from autozone 15-20$ a piece
2 flex intakes tubes- they sell them for 20$ a piece
Caulk or High heat sealer
Clamps.

Okay step one is Removing Stock intake system, to do this your easiest bet is remove the cross bars that are on either side above the intake tubes.(don't even know official nAme of these)
?
I used a 5/8ths or a 15mm socket to get the bolts out...

The intake tube is connected by simple push/slip on connections. Taking a body tool or flat head and creating a slight gap will allow you to remove the connection.
There are 3. One at the front near the radiator and kidney grills. One at the intake air box/silencer and one at the curves intake that mounts into the turbo.
Remove entire assembly up to this last connection before the intake into the turbo. The small clamps can be removed with flat head, 1/4 inch socket or 6mm.
?
Be careful when removing and installing, the intake into the turbo can be flexed and can break its small mounting plastics which will compromise your connection into the turbo.
?

Take airbox out (don't forget to unplug ur maf) and remove all torx screws. T20 I believe. And then remove the air filter. Leave the maf... reconnect the airbox pieces and screw torx bits back in. You will notice a slight gap where the airbox and silencer was. This is where your sealant will go. This is also very important that you can't leave a gap or it will produce a MAF code.
"Too much volume" typically is a great indication of a maf code produced by a intake system not properly sealed.
After it's sealed you can then reinstall your flexible tubing to your connections at the airbox.
?
I recommend removing the kidney grill to fit your cones in(only one necessary) as well as connecting your flex tubing and cone together with clamps. .. it's just too hard to fit your tubing into the cone after it's been attached to the air box.
Clamps should be applied at the cone, clamps around the flex and airbox connection and airbox into stock intake tube that runs into the turbo.

Ya this diy sucks but I have been super busy. Any questions feel free to ask anytime

Did you remove your shutter grille in front of the radiator?
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35247
Plastic trim yes
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #27
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Plastic trim yes
ah ok. Did it affect the temperature or cooling in anyway?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 04:05 AM   #28
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Plastic trim yes
ah ok. Did it affect the temperature or cooling in anyway?
My temps have dropped almost a 100 degrees like bad blacks had. And recently I removed all my engine plastics around the sides of the bay and everything and will be testing to see my iat soon as my car gets back from the shop
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 04:09 AM   #29
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can I resuse these type of Spectre filters that I use to run on my N54 on my N63 or are they too large?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712499
As long as they fit your good. Bigger filter more air better sound better cooling
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #30
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My temps have dropped almost a 100 degrees like bad blacks had. And recently I removed all my engine plastics around the sides of the bay and everything and will be testing to see my iat soon as my car gets back from the shop
I was asking if by removing the shutter grill did it affect your radiator coolant temps?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 10:11 AM   #31
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was asking if by removing the shutter grill did it affect your radiator coolant temps?
Not negatively Maybe a tad cooler operating temps
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #32
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not negatively Maybe a tad cooler operating temps
ok cool
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 04:34 AM   #33
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just finished installing mine like the OPs and WOW! Much Much rmore responsive and its breathing heavier!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #34
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just finished installing mine like the OPs and WOW! Much Much rmore responsive and its breathing heavier!!!
Hell ya man!!! I love this ! I'm excited, cause it's awesome anytime members can save money and obtain mods!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #35
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

How's it sound dude . I can really hear it in second gear pulls. First gear exhaust over powers the dump but 2nd third and revs are great
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #36
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes! it pulls, after 100, it pulls harder and harder! It feels like my 2002 Corvette C5 Z51 MN6 back when I had LTs/Tune and CAI (trapped 114 -115 mph).

No Codes or drivetrain malfunctions either!!

I reused the same Spectre (8136) blue filters I ran on my my E60 N54, but now that I know it works, Im going to get new "Red" Spectre filters (8132) so that it looks more menacing.

It felt so much more responsive throughout the RPM band that it felt like I was already in Sport+ but I was in comfort mode the entire time, I completely forgot about Sport+ mode. So after 4 days of forgetting about Sport + mode, I tried it in Sport + mode today and HOLY COW! This thing PULLS!

Im ready to re-run some 392 Scat Pack Challengers/Chargers, previously, I've been running dead even with them on highway to 140.

Last edited by 535_BiTurbo; 12-14-2017 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #37
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Sweet bro! I'm going to be doing this setup soon after I put some more miles on my air filters!
Appreciate 1
550bye1388.00
      12-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #38
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple3 View Post
Sweet bro! I'm going to be doing this setup soon after I put some more miles on my air filters!
Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #39
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes! it pulls, after 100, it pulls harder and harder! It feels like my 2002 Corvette C5 Z51 MN6 back when I had LTs/Tune and CAI (trapped 114 -115 mph).

I reused the same Spectre (8136) blue filters I ran on my my E60 N54, but now that I know it works, Im going to get new "Red" Spectre filters (8132) so that it looks more menacing.

It felt so much more responsive throughout the RPM band that it felt like I was already in Sport+ but I was in comfort mode the entire time, I completely forgot about Sport+ mode. So after 4 days of forgetting about Sport + mode, I tried it in Sport + mode today and HOLY COW! This thing PULLS!

Im ready to re-run some 392 Scat Pack Challengers/Chargers, previously, I've been running dead even with them on highway to 140.
Quote:

[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/33ok6mc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/2njbvnt.jpg[/IMG]

This is seriously awesome man. Like for real. Any video clips would b awesome for sound!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 12:56 PM   #40
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine white

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

This is seriously awesome man. Like for real. Any video clips would b awesome for sound!!
My buddies intakes are way louder.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #41
Creynolds
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman535 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Ya that's ur buddies? Cause that video includes downpipes and exhaust and has been on YouTube forever.

And if I could find someone to sell me a maf section of pipe I could remove airbox and it be twice as loud
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #42
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine white

Yup. Buddies car equipped with intakes that have been out for a year now.

He removed downpipes and put stock mufflers back on now and his intake either got louder from more backpressure or just easier to hear cause no exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #43
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Cool story bro I never knew sound came from a pic
Appreciate 0