2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Goodyear Run Flat LS 2 Warranty

10-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Hyeoctane
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi Dinan stage 3 a/ACS

Goodyear Run Flat LS 2 Warranty

I have a 2011 550 XI M Sport. Although I run after market ACS wheels and Michilen Super Sport tires in the summer I use my OEM wheels and tires in the winter from Oct 15- April 15 +/-. I have blown at least one OEM front tire and bubbled the side walls on three others. I do not have the tire protection package from the dealer for $1500. So Im on my own (so I thought). The first blow out I said Oh WeLL thats what I get for not taking the insurance, I went to some local place and bought a tire for $375. then had it mounted and balanced. Then I bulged a tire and went to another place and bought a tire and had it mounted and balanced after I bought the tire (the place told me they bought it from the Tire Rack) Tire Rack offers road Hazard Insurance (at the time of purchase) for approx $25. It was too late to buy it on this second tire as I hadnt purchased it myself and it was already after the time of sale. I then bubbled another tire (#3). This time I purchased it and had it shipped to my house from Tire Rack who told me that I didnt need to order the $25 Road Hazzard Ins because the tire comes with it from the manufacterer. If it didnt then i could buy it from them but Good year provides it ,free of charge. They also told me that the original tires that came on the car have no warranty and that only replacement tires have the warranty. (this is incorrect, they are all covered by the manufacterer for the life of the tire, either complete free replacement (with-in the first 2/10's of tread wear) or prorated depending on the amount of wear) some times mounting and balancing is included sometimes not. I just bubbled a 4th tire this one is now being replaced free of charge.
Those of you that do not have the tire ins from the dealer- Do not dispare! go to your local Good Year dealer and complain and you shall receive free replacement tires or at least a big discount. Below is a link to the run on flat tire warranty from the Goodyear website. If you dont get satisfaction call Goodyear Directly and speak to customer relations it could save you $450.
here is the link; http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/services/tire-warranty.
F' ing dealers charge everyone $1500 for ins. or for every bubbled tire and they get it for free from Goodyear!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
nicksbmw2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535ix m-sport

I am one of those who purchased the tire protection package for $2k-five year deal. I have owned two other bimmers and never puchased the protection. I know have a 2012 535ix with the famous Goodyear LS2 run flats and the dealer insisted I purchase the insurance.
Six weeks after I picked up the car, I hit a small pothole with both the front and rear passanger tires. I immediatly notice a difference in how the car handled. I checked the tire and did not find any bubbles. I finally had the dealer look at it and lo and behold I had two bent rims. The tires are perfectly fine. The dealer replaced the rims and handed me a bill for $1650. I quickly informed him that I had the insurance. My cost was only the $50 deductible.
I believe the insurance covers seven replacement of tires and/or rims. With the winter coming and the incresed possibility of hitting other potholes, I am glad I spent the $2k for protection.So far it was money well spent.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
Hyeoctane
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

well if you get rim replacement i guess thats not too bad a deal. Im suprised you bent the rims and didnt bubble a tire.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
Hyeoctane
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Since my last post I blew another front tire. This time I purchased two tires from Tire Rack so I dont have to wait 24 hrs for shipping. I contacted Good Year and they covered one of the two with installation. I then got a call from the Good Year tire store saying my key lock has disintigrated and they can't get the wheel off. I go to the dealer and managed to get them to part with the master set of lock keys for 20 mins so I could ID the key and unlock the wheels. While at the dealer they showed me a letter from Good Year that started with "We are happy to announce ........we are eliminating the road hazzard warrantee on tires purchased after Nov. 1, 2012". Since I had purchased two tires from Tire Rack on Nov. 3, 2012 and found that these now have no road hazard warranty I called Tire Rack and said these tires were delivered yesterday and are being put on my car as we speak I need to purchase the road hazzard warrantee they said ok and for $62.+/- they are now covered by Tire Rack.

Last edited by Hyeoctane; 11-13-2012 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

wow maybe i should just bite the bullet and pick up a set of non runflat snow tires after all. I plan to do the same with 2013 F10 and only use the stock 19"s with GY RFT's over the winter but I am going to be paranoid about getting bubbles on the tires. could end up costing me more money down the road plus without the safety of having dedicated snow tires over the winter.

Alan