2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Is there a FMIC that is a direct fit for the F10 535i?

05-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Is there a FMIC that is a direct fit for the F10 535i?

In my quick research of keys words through the Google machine I was unable to find a plug and play FMIC for the F10 535i. Can anyone point the way?
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:23 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
In my quick research of keys words through the Google machine I was unable to find a plug and play FMIC for the F10 535i. Can anyone point the way?
I've never seen a pnp most need some kind of modification.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
That's what I've been discovering so far. Do you know if anyone has posted about the level of difficulty or possible how to? I read a post, I think it was on Bimmerfest, where he had to relocate the his cooling fans to an aftermarket slimmer setup.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

It's really not hard if you're good with welding or know someone that can do it. Just figure out your dimensions, get the right parts and spend a few hours at the shop. I used to design my own exhaust, IC, and intakes. Drew it out and had the guy at the shop bend the pipes and weld it. The intercoolers are a bit trickier depending on the car.

As far as FMIC goes, you usually have to get a slimmer fan because the most effective way to make it fit with minimal modifications is to make the IC thicker and maybe slightly larger if there's clearance. So that would be the easiest route and should increase your cooling 20-40%.

But honestly, if you're only boosting an extra 2-3 PSI, you don't need to modify the FMIC. An intake and exhaust is the most you need. Unless you are going with bigger turbos, then you would need a whole new setup including FMIC. From experience, I wouldn't do one part at a time.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:34 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
It's really not hard if you're good with welding or know someone that can do it. Just figure out your dimensions, get the right parts and spend a few hours at the shop. I used to design my own exhaust, IC, and intakes. Drew it out and had the guy at the shop bend the pipes and weld it. The intercoolers are a bit trickier depending on the car.

As far as FMIC goes, you usually have to get a slimmer fan because the most effective way to make it fit with minimal modifications is to make the IC thicker and maybe slightly larger if there's clearance. So that would be the easiest route and should increase your cooling 20-40%.

But honestly, if you're only boosting an extra 2-3 PSI, you don't need to modify the FMIC. An intake and exhaust is the most you need. Unless you are going with bigger turbos, then you would need a whole new setup including FMIC. From experience, I wouldn't do one part at a time.
+1

When i did the Turbo in my integra I had to do the same thing. Custom piping larger IC. I did end up using the slim fans because my factory fan housing was just too big. I know u just got that new tune from Technique but Unless ur going all out motor-wise bigger Turbo 3" piping all the way back and Maybe a Meth kit ur stock IC should be fine. I know there was a site sponsor here selling IC's for the 5 series but I'm not sure if it was for the F10? I'LL check here.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/-...FcOJaQod_WsAyw
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1065102
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Thanks guys. And yes I have that new tune from GSR Technik. I am only seeing about a 5-8 degree oil temp increase when doing a lot of pulls. I have not gone over 250 yet so things are going swell so far. I got that tuning bug and seeing if I can drop the temps by 10-20 degrees. I don't actually need it because it is running great with my stock setup. I appreciate the inside knowledge as that what I was really looking for anyway. Thanks again fellows.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Mike mentions that it actually doesn't fit the F chassis, but never updated his post. The other Wagner one you sent claims direct pnp!

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

I have a 550 so I don't know the limits of the 535 but I'm pretty sure the the stock turbo will max out well before the FMIC. So even if you get a 30 degree drop in temp, you're spending over $2k total for parts/labor/tune and get under 20hp while risking reliability issues(pray they welded properly and it doesn't rub when installed)

The only logical choice is to spend about $7-8k for a complete setup with new turbos. But then you'll run into other bottlenecks like the bottom end, transmission and fuel delivery. You'll also need better brakes and suspensions to handle the extra power. Might as well start with a 550 or M5 at that point.

I would stick with just intake, exhaust and tune unless you plan on big power. But then if you're going for big power and speed then a Corvette or Viper is much easier to achieve 1000+HP running 9s and 10s. That is always the dilemma if you're a gear head with limited funds. I'd stick with basic boltons, +3 psi boost, a tune and call it a day. Modify the suspension if you track it. Drop it an inch and get some 25 tint if you want to look cool.

As always, the best mod and most bang for buck is to spend a weekend at a proper driving school . Your track time will improve more than any mod you can do to your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #11
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I wonder if it's possible to upgrade your radiator instead if your looking at cooler temperatures?
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #12
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263
I have a 550 so I don't know the limits of the 535 but I'm pretty sure the the stock turbo will max out well before the FMIC. So even if you get a 30 degree drop in temp, you're spending over $2k total for parts/labor/tune and get under 20hp while risking reliability issues(pray they welded properly and it doesn't rub when installed)

The only logical choice is to spend about $7-8k for a complete setup with new turbos. But then you'll run into other bottlenecks like the bottom end, transmission and fuel delivery. You'll also need better brakes and suspensions to handle the extra power. Might as well start with a 550 or M5 at that point.

I would stick with just intake, exhaust and tune unless you plan on big power. But then if you're going for big power and speed then a Corvette or Viper is much easier to achieve 1000+HP running 9s and 10s. That is always the dilemma if you're a gear head with limited funds. I'd stick with basic boltons, +3 psi boost, a tune and call it a day. Modify the suspension if you track it. Drop it an inch and get some 25 tint if you want to look cool.

As always, the best mod and most bang for buck is to spend a weekend at a proper driving school . Your track time will improve more than any mod you can do to your car.
Great advice thanks brutha. I know there is a new BMW school http://www.visitpalmsprings.com/over...-center/249861

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:25 PM   #13
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
I wonder if it's possible to upgrade your radiator instead if your looking at cooler temperatures?
I know the jb4 has max cool mode. Just have to wait and see if I can stack it with the tune.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
I know the jb4 has max cool mode. Just have to wait and see if I can stack it with the tune.
Yeah keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:20 AM   #15
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
GSR Autosport reports it can be stacked, but additional gains a minimum. However, added controls are a plus, but no dash hijacking for the 5 series available from BMS yet.

Appreciate 0