2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Video + PC Gaming / Computing Mass Effect 2

02-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #45
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
It's hard for me to explain as I wouldn't want to spoil anything from ME1/ME2 for you.

But if you're sticking with the main-story, it's pretty obvious what the big decisions are. As I said, you can complete it in under 10 hours if you stick to the main plot. So if your anxious to get playing ME2 it won't take you long.

ME1's still a great game though, so take as long as you want. Bottom line is if you really want to get playing ME2, just pick up ME1 and do a quick run through for the story/character purposes.

The ending of ME1 is also the superior of the 2, but that's my opinion.

ME1's Platinum Hits now.....so $20 new. You can also download it from the marketplace or buy used if that's cheaper.
just want to make sure i get maximum benefit for spending 10 hours to run through ME1. so i'm basically just playing ME1 for the story? not that that discourages me, just expected a bit more reward...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #46
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
just want to make sure i get maximum benefit for spending 10 hours to run through ME1. so i'm basically just playing ME1 for the story? not that that discourages me, just expected a bit more reward...
There is more rewards.....depending on how much time you want to spend.

Example: Importing a lvl 60 Shepard from ME1 nets you $200K credits, 50K of each resource, and starting out at lvl 5 in ME2. Keep in mind to reach lvl 60 you need to beat ME1 (unlocks lvl 60 maximum limit), then continue playing on a new game+ on ME1 to reach it.

Also, as I said your choices/decisions you made from ME1 carry over to ME2.

If you do not import from ME1 these choices are "pre-selected" in a new game for ME2....basically meaning everyone who dies, could have , While you can save them in ME1 if you chose.

Me personally? I just did a quick run through ME1 making all the big decisions I wanted to carry over to ME2. Also, it made ME2 that much more enjoyable (seeing cameos, etc) and generally knowing WTF is going on.

As for tips... Here's a few things:

1) Conversations/Speech are huge in these games. Put points into Charm/Intimidate (Extremely important if you're doing a story-only playthrough)....pick the proper choices if you want to be good or evil (Paragon/Renegade)

2) Do any "personal" or team members quests. Random sidequests aren't as important.

Those are the main things. Again it depends on if you're planning on doing everything and "taking in" the game, or you just want the best possible quick playthrough.

Hope that helps.

Basically the point: You should play ME1 first.

It adds a more personal feel to ME2. Plus the ending is Epic, you'll be dying to play ME2 next.

Last edited by Noc57; 02-12-2010 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #47
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc57 View Post
Wow man, can't believe you just dove into ME2. It would be like watching "The Two Towers" before "The Fellowship.....

or...."Empire Strikes Back" before "A New Hope."

So yeah, DEFINITELY play ME1, IMO you should've played it first.

Be warned though, the combat's not nearly as fun and it would feel like a downgrade coming from ME2, but it's still a phenominal game nonetheless.

Also for downloading....It's like $14 now, $20 NEW. Common man, gotta support Bioware
Haha yeah I didn't it would be this fun actually. Was a bit more interesting then I expected, I'll be sure to check out the first one though. Did find this video from the first one of him being a jerk to everyone, thought it was pretty funny lol. Think I might do something like this for the second game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnex...&v=sy-eRfupYbA
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #48
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
I got no clue, I didn't send him into anything special. It was at the part where you're in the force field to avoid the bugs. When we got to the end the bugs ended up taking him. He was loyal, guess I missed and upgrade or something. Damn why couldn't they take Jack or Samara instead, his kid is going to take it hard :/ lol. But yeah just started insanity, you know the 4 robots in the beginning of the game? Yeah they almost killed me haha. Their not playing around now. Game really was fun though, looking forward to the 3rd.
thats the same way he died for me. UGH!!! He was awesome. I felt I could really empathize with him. Pretty much all the characters were good.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #49
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
thats the same way he died for me. UGH!!! He was awesome. I felt I could really empathize with him. Pretty much all the characters were good.
Tell me about it man, I always used him and Miranda haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #50
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
This thread is pissing me off!!!! Now I want to hurry and run through the first and play the damn second now!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #51
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
Tell me about it man, I always used him and Miranda haha.
Same!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #52
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on bimmerpost.
      02-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #53
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite thread on bimmerpost.
LMAO
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #54
BMW2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Coupe

I've already finished it as a paragon, now I've switched sexes, upped it to hardcore, and am trying to be as renegade as I can. I still seem to be getting paragon points just from going through the conversations.

I seem to be unlocking the loyalty quests much more slowly, maybe I just didn't remember them taking this long last time.

I can see how people like how the decisions from the first ME affect things in this one. I didn't really care for it all that much honestly. Some of the choices you make don't end up with the results you want, which is partly what makes the game great, it also gives you a "should have known better" feeling and it's frustrating when you know things could be playing out differently but you're stuck with a decision you made over a year ago in another game.

Plus I lost a member in my squad who's way too fing cool not to see again in the next one. Just my opinion but that would be my one criticism in this otherwise fantastic game. I'm glad they made it an optional feature.

in short though it's fantastic, and has successfully pulled me away from mindless MW2 grinding.

-BMW2006
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #55
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan Auto

Do I need to get the first one before I play the 2nd?

To Do (Cosmetic): Black Line lights, Lux 4.0 Angel Eyes, 19" CSL HyperBlack
To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #56
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makushr1 View Post
Do I need to get the first one before I play the 2nd?
I started playing the 2nd without having played the first. There are a couple references I don't know and characters who were apparently in the first one that I'd not have known about unless my roomy told me, but I don't think you need to play the first to enjoy the 2nd. I'm loving it thus far.