2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications F10 535i muffler recommendations?

10-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
izaazk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

F10 535i muffler recommendations?

I have a 2011 535i... stock and will be putting an intake on it...

I've seen some videos of muffler delete and it sounds amazing.... BUT

i was wondering if theres any recommendations for something thatll help it sound a little DEEPER ... a little quieter and more refined?

I was gonna try an ebay cheapo muffler and see the difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
ziekxq
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDrive

Remus quad exhaust. I bought my self MPE on '11 535ix and it was basically quiet just a little sound that no one would notice. But then i got my self catless dp and the exhaust screams now lol. What i mean is remus will sound much better over mpe without needing the catless dp.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2016, 12:50 AM   #3
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-Sport

I just got the MPE for my 535i installed this morning. Outside of the car, I absolutely love the sound, especially when revving. It's not loud, but that isn't what I was looking for. it's about as loud as my wife would allow to be honest. haha
      10-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #4
ziekxq
Major
Rep

MPE is as loud as your sneeze outside the car lol. Inside the car you wont even hear it.

To me the point of an exhaust is so you can hear it and enjoy the sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Meisterschaft here! tho i haven't installed it yet lol! Meister's are a bit loud and raspy with a DP! but with the EV you can close the flap to quiet it down

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Meisterschaft here! tho i haven't installed it yet lol! Meister's are a bit loud and raspy with a DP! but with the EV you can close the flap to quiet it down

Back when i was looking for exhaust, someone was selling a meisterschaft for 535. Saw the video and concluded it will be way too loud and my neighbors would kill me as i have to go to work at 6 in the morning lol. But beautiful sound!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
gabypr
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2015 F10 535i

Garage List
Get some m5 or m6 mufflers. It has a nice sound that its what are you looking. I got some m6 competition package with the black tips and for me it has been my best investment so far. It makes a deep sound that is not so strong nor too quiet. Inside you can talk and hear music without problem but when you push the pedal the roar comes and I just love it.

CQuartz UK 3 Ceramic Coating | GeoShield Pronano 50% Ceramic Window Film | M5 M Perf Steering Wheel | M6 Comp Pkg Mufflers | M Perf Floor Mats | CF Spoiler | RW CF Quad Setup Diffuser | RW CF Front Lip | CF Trim | BMW Interior Leds | M5 343 Wheels | Pure Stg 2 Turbo
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #8
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabypr
Get some m5 or m6 mufflers. It has a nice sound that its what are you looking. I got some m6 competition package with the black tips and for me it has been my best investment so far. It makes a deep sound that is not so strong nor too quiet. Inside you can talk and hear music without problem but when you push the pedal the roar comes and I just love it.
+1 muffler delete will drone all day and sound like a Honda, other brands are subjective. M5 and M6 from factory are the business. I made a custom exhaust that is cool but it's no M6 sound. Also understand a 6 will never sound like an 8. That's why I went custom. I'll try again to record the outcome of my cut exhaust
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #9
ziekxq
Major
Rep

I have posted this before but to make it easy this is how m performance exhaust sounds with catless dp:

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

REMUS is my favorite for an aggressive daily driver ... GThaus is a close second

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #11
gulfstream69xr7
Private
Rep
Drives: 535XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
MPE is as loud as your sneeze outside the car lol. Inside the car you wont even hear it.

To me the point of an exhaust is so you can hear it and enjoy the sound.
Please, this is load of crap.

I actually have the MPE on my 535.

Tell me if this sounds like a sneeze.

You clearly and unequivocally hear the difference inside and outside the car.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #12
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

I had the MPE exhaust, I wanted it more aggressive, so I got RPI. love the sound
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #13
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstream69xr7 View Post

Please that is a sneeze... you cannot hear crap with windows up at all, but adding downpipe changes that. Maybe ill record a drive by for you to understand the difference. Plus it is more noticable and fun with even windows up (when you add catless dp), and not annoying at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 10:21 PM   #14
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq
Quote:

Please that is a sneeze... you cannot hear crap with windows up at all, but adding downpipe changes that. Maybe ill record a drive by for you to understand the difference. Plus it is more noticable and fun with even windows up (when you add catless dp), and not annoying at all.
I respectfully disagree. you absolutely can hear it. my wife legitimately likes the new sound a lot and says it's definitely "meaner". It's definitely not as loud as my neighbor's M4, but that's fine by me. But let's all be adults and admit that tastes in sound and volume are really subjective and a YouTube video isn't going to give you the full picture.
      10-25-2016, 10:27 PM   #15
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Here you go:

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 10:38 PM   #16
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiBruin View Post
I respectfully disagree. you absolutely can hear it. my wife legitimately likes the new sound a lot and says it's definitely "meaner". It's definitely not as loud as my neighbor's M4, but that's fine by me. But let's all be adults and admit that tastes in sound and volume are really subjective and a YouTube video isn't going to give you the full picture.
I do have MPE myself and it was like a bug humming inside the cabin, but when i added catless dp it completely change the experience... Sure it makes sound over stock exhaust... all im saying for a 1500 to 1800+ exhaust system then sound quality remus vs mpe, the winner is remus.

I also have the UK version of MPE exhaust if that makes a difference maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 10:59 PM   #17
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq View Post
I do have MPE myself and it was like a bug humming inside the cabin, but when i added catless dp it completely change the experience... Sure it makes sound over stock exhaust... all im saying for a 1500 to 1800+ exhaust system then sound quality remus vs mpe, the winner is remus.

I also have the UK version of MPE exhaust if that makes a difference maybe?
It's possible, but I highly doubt it. I will say that my MPE brand new was about ~$800. At that price, I think it's fair to say that the MPE at least makes the 535i sound like it should have from the factory and is worth the cost. I do understand that people will like it a lot louder and more pronounced in the cabin, but not everyone is looking for that.
      10-25-2016, 11:23 PM   #18
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
It's possible, but I highly doubt it. I will say that my MPE brand new was about ~$800. At that price, I think it's fair to say that the MPE at least makes the 535i sound like it should have from the factory and is worth the cost. I do understand that people will like it a lot louder and more pronounced in the cabin, but not everyone is looking for that.
And my agruement to that was if you not looking to hear your own exhaust system then whats the point? But to each their own, but its like buying a pair of expensive shoes just to look at them and never wear it to know the feeling.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #19
ThaiBruin
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziekxq
Quote:
And my agruement to that was if you not looking to hear your own exhaust system then whats the point? But to each their own, but its like buying a pair of expensive shoes just to look at them and never wear it to know the feeling.
And I've said I can hear it, my wife can hear it, my friends can hear it. what's the argument? I'm not disagreeing with you on whether your setup or any other aftermarket system doesn't sound better to you or whoever gets whichever system. I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one happy with the MPE on it's own.
      10-25-2016, 11:34 PM   #20
ziekxq
Major
Rep

I never said that you cannot completely hear it... all im saying is that it sounds like a fart lol compare to mpe + catless. Im not trying to fight you on this but merely telling the guy who asked for our opinion regarding the exhaust. You had your opinion and i had mine.. you are happy with your exhaust note and im happy with mine... it sounds like a sneeze to me and might not sound like sneeze to you... maybe your friends tell you that so you dont feel bad for the investment? I dont know man... i am not here to fight.

We can talk about this all night long but we have different preference to sound so neither one of us will stop to prove our point lol. And who knows the orignal poster of this thread might just be looking for the same setup as yours.

But from the posters point he wants something thats loud and refined... mpe alone isnt loud.

Last edited by ziekxq; 10-25-2016 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #21
gulfstream69xr7
Private
Rep
Drives: 535XI

Quote:
I never said that you cannot completely hear it
Yes you did

Quote:
Inside the car you wont even hear it.
Quote:
you cannot hear crap with windows up at all
As ThaiBruin said, my wife could hear the difference immediately inside the car with the windows up, and she usually doesn't notice a darn thing on most cars.

Can't hear a difference with the windows up?

There is a short clip here from my in car, windows up, 0-50 test.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289427

Yes, you can clearly here a difference.

I don't hear a whole lot of difference between this...

and this.

For that matter, I don't know where the OP lives, but you cannot run a car cat-less here. It won't pass inspection, and it would void any remaining warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 09:05 AM   #22
ziekxq
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes you did

As ThaiBruin said, my wife could hear the difference immediately inside the car with the windows up, and she usually doesn't notice a darn thing on most cars.

Can't hear a difference with the windows up?

There is a short clip here from my in car, windows up, 0-50 test.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289427

Yes, you can clearly here a difference.

I don't hear a whole lot of difference between this...

and this.

For that matter, I don't know where the OP lives, but you cannot run a car cat-less here. It won't pass inspection, and it would void any remaining warranty.
If you call humming in the car with windows rolled up a sound then what ever makes you happy (i have said this multiple times but i guess you only want to quote certain part). There is a huge different maybe phone recordings do no justice but at this point I dont care... i have experienced both mpe with stock dp and mpe with catless dp. From my experience you will be disappointed with just mpe if you are looking for loud and refined sound.

The day you experience mpe with catless dp only then you will understand. If you dont hear the sound difference. I also have said that my mpe version is from UK which could be the cause of difference in sound with stock dp.

Edited: i did hear your car with windows rolled up and all i hear is intake making the sound.

Last edited by ziekxq; 10-26-2016 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0