2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BP Ultimate diesel - worth it?/ waste of time

08-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

BP Ultimate diesel - worth it?/ waste of time

Out of curiosity, I filled up with BP Ultimate diesel at at the weekend in my 530d. Quite a bit more expensive (around £1.51 per litre - those of you in the states will probably choke when you read that!)
Not noticed any difference. Website doesn't claim any benefitis as regareds performance or fuel economy but its advanatages relate to cleaning the engine.

Anyone care to comment on this fuel? Waste of time?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Website doesn't claim any benefitis as regareds performance or fuel economy but its advanatages relate to cleaning the engine.

I have used BP Ultimate in my 330d for most of its life (55k miles) and find when I use regular diesel, or fuel with an unknown additive package (when I use a shot of Millers additive), I notice a difference. Ultimate runs a sweeter engine, gives more mpg on a steady cruise and I notice more of a bite on kickdown when overtaking. BTW, Millers gives a benefit above regular fuel.

I really use premium fuel to help keep the engine cleaner internally. Having seen user pictures of a BMW diesel run exclusively on Ultimate over many miles, the condition of the EGR valve was just black, no soot deposits or coking. Typically on regular fuel the valve would be half full of coke. Imagine injector tip condition, inlet porting, condition around valves. I'm of the opinion, keep combustion at optimum rates if possible.

I suppose a lot will depend on type of trips you make, like steady speed driving with hot running, vs. short cold urban trips. Whether you intend to keep the car, run it out of warranty and/or value slightly cleaner oil through service/oil change periods.

If I wasn't using Ultimate I'd be shortening the oil service intervals and even more concerned about DPF regenerations during local use.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #3
islandnipper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY 2012 F10 520d SE

I notice that "Honest John" one of the Telegraph's motoring journalists recommends using BP Ultimate diesel. Don't know how much to read into that, but it's another recommendation at least. I use it when I come across it, but it's not exactly common on the Isle of Wight!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

I noticed a slightly more eager throttle response when I tried a few tanks of premium diesel but not a difference really noticeable to justify the price.
In my 330d that is, not my 328i!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep

well I plan to keep my car for 10 years and have a mix of 50% motorway and 50% town. I might just put this in the car on an occasional basis.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Rather a waste of money. I've never noticed any difference.
      08-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

I'm willing to bet it has ultimate snake oil added to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 330 ci SE, F11 530d SE

I have been using BP ultimate fuels in all my BMW cars (E46 330Ci Se and F11 530D SE) and I definitely have noticed a smooth engine operation, better response and mileage. I have in a couple of occasions filled the cars with regular fuel and I am 100% certain the car was more sluggish. No placebo effect there.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:32 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
I'm willing to bet it has ultimate snake oil added to it.
There are tests out there which show the 'snake oil' has something in it.

Pehaps "Hissing Sid" only wakes up in some engines.

Here's one test from TV's FifthGear motoring show.

A test report from Car and Driving.

http://www.caranddriving.com/feature...20ultimate.pdf

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
AP
Major General
Rep

having second thoughts about this. with the premuim fuel being about 10 pence per litre more , that only works out at about 70 pence per tank. AS a rule, I only fill up my tank once a month or tehreabouts that doesn't equate to much over a year so given from teh info you have posted in thei thread previosuly, its probably worth doing just to keep your engine in as good a condition as possible even if there is not noticable difference in performance or economy (even if there thechincally is a minute difference there)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Quote:
with the premuim fuel being about 10 pence per litre more , that only works out at about 70 pence per tank.
Do you have a 7 litre tank?

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

There is one factor about fuel use which is often ignored, that is the long term use and engine condition.

We often hear the "I've tried a tank of X, Y or Z fuel and there doesn't appear to be any difference". Possibly not, but what if the engine is not running clean anyway at the time of that trial? Say it is already losing best performance due to deposits building up. Do we really expect to see a marked change?

Engine peformance often tails off and fuel consumption increases over time, so inefficiency builds up over time and use. That is what we really want to prevent.

The better test is using fuel that keeps and engine clean and performs well all the time, then add a tank of normal fuel and feel the difference. An engine can often feel 'flat' doing it that way. Then go back to the premium fuel and you feel the improvement within a couple of miles, usually on the first blast of overtaking.

Personally I don't see the wisdom in a tank of premium fuel "every now and again" hopefully to "suddenly" clean up a coking engine.

The fact that the motor trade uses products like Forte to 'clean' a diesel engine inside and get back some performance and smooth running, indicates we lose performance over time. Some of us are just trying to help prevent that power drop off and the issues that can follow. EGR problems, etc.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The better test is using fuel that keeps and engine clean and performs well all the time, then add a tank of normal fuel and feel the difference. An engine can often feel 'flat' doing it that way. Then go back to the premium fuel and you feel the improvement within a couple of miles, usually on the first blast of overtaking.
Exactly my experience!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyxologos View Post
Exactly my experience!
Right - I'll give it a go while my car is still new.
      08-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #15
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

The "it feels faster" thing is just your brain playing tricks on you. It's called a placebo effect and your brain does it to you to not make you feel like a fool paying for snake oil.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:23 AM   #16
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
The "it feels faster" thing is just your brain playing tricks on you. It's called a placebo effect and your brain does it to you to not make you feel like a fool paying for snake oil.
I'm pretty sure most people here know what a placebo effect is but thanks for a spirited attempt at the definition anyway. That said - you are wrong. The Placebo effect is relevant only in medical circumstances where patients undergo physical improvement even when inert medication is applied.

Nobody here is saying that their car showed improvements even when they used ordinary diesel labelled as Ultimate diesel. That would at least be analogous to a placebo effect.

Now get back under your bridge troll boy.
      08-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #17
psyxologos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
I'm pretty sure most people here know what a placebo effect is but thanks for a spirited attempt at the definition anyway. That said - you are wrong. The Placebo effect is relevant only in medical circumstances where patients undergo physical improvement even when inert medication is applied.

Nobody here is saying that their car showed improvements even when they used ordinary diesel labelled as Ultimate diesel. That would at least be analogous to a placebo effect.

Well done sir!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #18
AP
Major General
Rep

amk,
yes got my maths wrong so in the UK if ultimate is 10p more expensive, thats an extra £7 per tank. which is quite a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #19
chrisdoha
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 530d M Sport

i was told ur fourth filling could be like a BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power and thts good enuf for the engine.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post

Oh really? Pretty sure some people said their car showed improvements. Let me check.... Yes, they did!

But you can bicker and banter all you want about the definition of the placebo effect. The point still stands.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #21
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Oh really? Pretty sure some people said their car showed improvements. Let me check.... Yes, they did!

But you can bicker and banter all you want about the definition of the . The point still stands.
Are we debating premium fuel can improve engine HP and/or MPG?

If we are, the evidence is engine HP does increase under dyno testing, so some will "feel" a difference.

MPG tests by Peter De Nayer (fuel economy guru) testing for WhatCar, did find an improvement in economy, with BP Ultimate compared to regular diesel, so some will "report" better mpg.

If that is a placebo effect, then I have the wrong understanding of what test conditions and data are all about, and how it can crossover to user experience.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #22
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Website doesn't claim any benefitis as regareds performance or fuel economy but its advanatages relate to cleaning the engine.

I have used BP Ultimate in my 330d for most of its life (55k miles) and find when I use regular diesel, or fuel with an unknown additive package (when I use a shot of Millers additive), I notice a difference. Ultimate runs a sweeter engine, gives more mpg on a steady cruise and I notice more of a bite on kickdown when overtaking. BTW, Millers gives a benefit above regular fuel.

I really use premium fuel to help keep the engine cleaner internally. Having seen user pictures of a BMW diesel run exclusively on Ultimate over many miles, the condition of the EGR valve was just black, no soot deposits or coking. Typically on regular fuel the valve would be half full of coke. Imagine injector tip condition, inlet porting, condition around valves. I'm of the opinion, keep combustion at optimum rates if possible.

I suppose a lot will depend on type of trips you make, like steady speed driving with hot running, vs. short cold urban trips. Whether you intend to keep the car, run it out of warranty and/or value slightly cleaner oil through service/oil change periods.

If I wasn't using Ultimate I'd be shortening the oil service intervals and even more concerned about DPF regenerations during local use.

HighlandPete
+1
I feed mine with Shell V Power and ENI Bluediesel only! Better performance and cleaner emissions.