2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 550i exhaust tip replacement

02-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
kman_bmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 550ix M Sport

F10 550i exhaust tip replacement

Does anyone know if the trapezoidal exhaust tips on the 550i can be replaced with quad round or oval tips without changing the mufflers? Have a 550i coming in next month and don't particularly like the ones that come with the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Replacing tips is normally not an issue as they aren't an integral part of the pipes (ie not welded, etc..) So it's simply a question of finding a vendor who will make available tips to fit the 550i exhaust. But the real issue is the rear diffuser of the bumper. You will have to either replace it (with an aftermarket diffuser) or cut the existing opening to fit oval tips.

I'm sure in a year or so there will be more aftermarket vendors supplying exhaust tips, diffusers, etc., for the F10. It'll be interesting to see what the M5 will come with (to differentiate itself from the 550i)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 04:14 AM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
Replacing tips is normally not an issue as they aren't an integral part of the pipes (ie not welded, etc..) So it's simply a question of finding a vendor who will make available tips to fit the 550i exhaust. But the real issue is the rear diffuser of the bumper. You will have to either replace it (with an aftermarket diffuser) or cut the existing opening to fit oval tips.

I'm sure in a year or so there will be more aftermarket vendors supplying exhaust tips, diffusers, etc., for the F10. It'll be interesting to see what the M5 will come with (to differentiate itself from the 550i)
But what does the Flap Valve do in the "Outside exhaust pipe"?.
What would it do to back pressure if removed?.
      02-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
kman_bmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

I looked at a 550i when I was back in the States and it looked like the valve mechanism was separate from the exhaust tips. Didn't have a lot of time but will definitely look closer when I get mine delivered next month. I've asked the BMW dealer in town if it could be done but no answer yet since they don't have a 550i to look at. I think the current diffuser would also work with dual round exhaust tips if they could just be changed out.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman_bmw View Post
I looked at a 550i when I was back in the States and it looked like the valve mechanism was separate from the exhaust tips. Didn't have a lot of time but will definitely look closer when I get mine delivered next month. I've asked the BMW dealer in town if it could be done but no answer yet since they don't have a 550i to look at. I think the current diffuser would also work with dual round exhaust tips if they could just be changed out.
Ok look forward to your feed back.
      02-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Flap valve has nothing to do with the exhaust tips.

And people have been doing valve bypasses since the days of exhaust flap valves anyway.

But you could always go this route

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #7
kman_bmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

True, but that requires changing the exhaust system and mufflers also. Not looking for a major overhauld, just don't like those Japanese looking tips...:-)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
True, but that requires changing the exhaust system and mufflers also. Not looking for a major overhauld, just don't like those Japanese looking tips...:-)
I think the "Tips" are spot welded to the box pipes which are about 2" diameter each, No problem once they are removed, there is plenty of room for two round pipes to fit on to extend the exhausts. Getting the oblong thing off the box pipes is going to be the problem.
      02-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think the "Tips" are spot welded to the box pipes ( the one that has the flap on it) which are about 2" diameter each, No problem once they are removed, there is plenty of room for two round pipes to fit on to extend the exhausts. Getting the oblong thing off the box pipes is going to be the problem.