2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Is "Integral Active Steering" worth it?

04-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Is "Integral Active Steering" worth it?

I am just two or three weeks away from ordering a 535d F11 and I am going through some "last minute" doubts, one of which being the "integral active steering" option.
Honestly I never included it in my successive configurations but today, in a Portuguese forum, I came across a fellow BMW driver who praised it a lot. I was wondering if you guys could give me an unbiased recommendation on whether I should strongly consider it or not. If you would like to check my spec to suggest taking out any "less relevant" option you can take a look in this topic.
I want to avoid increasing the final price so this one would only be ticked in at the expense of some other option... Here is a brief rundown of the current spec to make it easy for you to comment.

Thanks!

------------------------------------
535d (313 hp) Touring
Sport Automatic Transmission

M Sports Package with:
..Sophisto Grey II
..Black Dakota leather electrical Sports Seats w/ heating and memory
..Aluminium Hexagon Interior Trim
..Black Anthracite Headlining
..18" 350M alloy wheels
..Exterior Trim, High Gloss Shadow Line

Comfort Package, including:
..Ambient lighting
..Powered bootlid
..Climate comfort windscreen
..Comfort access
..Soft-close doors

Innovation Package
..Adaptive xenon headlights
..Head-up Display
..Black panel display, full
..Speed limit display

Adaptive Drive (including Dynamic Drive and Variable Damper Control)
High-beam assistant
BMW Individual Sun protection glass
Extended luggage features
Surround View Package
Panoramic glass sunroof
Roof rails, high-gloss Shadow Line

Apps, BMW Assist, BMW Online, Internet
USB Audio, Music for smartphones
Bluetooth phone prep + telematics
Professional Navigation System
HiFi Professional Sound System

Active Protection for Passengers
Interior/Exterior Folding Mirrors, auto-dimming
Tyre Pressure Monitoring
Blind Spot Warning System

Last edited by rhinosaur; 04-12-2012 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: Correction of "Lane Change" to "Blind Spot Warning System"
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
reaper1
Rep
Drives: 535i F10 M Package

I would ditch the Lane Change Warning System and add the IAS, or just add the IAS. The car is too long and big without it. I wondered the same when I was ordering my car, do I really need / want this. Without a doubt I would get it again.
2012 535i M-sport: Alpine White/AnthraciteTrim, Black Nappa Leather, Cold Weather, Luxury Seat, Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, Technology Pkg, ARS, 6 MT, HUD, Active Steering, 270 Cameras. 75% Llumar outside-100% Llumar inside.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper1 View Post
I would ditch the Lane Change Warning System and add the IAS, or just add the IAS. The car is too long and big without it. I wondered the same when I was ordering my car, do I really need / want this. Without a doubt I would get it again.
Funny that the Lane change warning system is precisely the option I would ditch first in favor of the IAS. I will ask my dealer to test-drive a car with IAS and another without, ideally in the same day, in order to gauge the difference myself.

Any other thing you would ditch? *grin*

EDIT - By lane change warning system I meant to say "blind spot detection system". Apologies for any confusion!

Last edited by rhinosaur; 04-12-2012 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: Errata
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
F11-Diesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11 530 D

I do not know about IAS.
But you are missing the sport steering wheel.
And more important the comfort seats!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F11-Diesel View Post
I do not know about IAS.
But you are missing the sport steering wheel.
And more important the comfort seats!
Well, the M Package has the sport steering wheel doesn't it?
Why do you rate the comfort seats so high? Have you tried the sports seats too? Are they THAT better than the sports seats?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
My car has IAS and I love it. Makes the car feel much more nimble that it really should. I have driven a 550i without IAS and didn't like it nearly as much. Well, the steering feel anyway. The power of the 550i was pretty crazy compared to my 535i.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I am also a big fan of IAS. I think it makes the steering more BMW like. More responsive at lower speeds, more stable at higher speeds. To me it is a must have option along with DDC and ARS.

I would skip the LDW as well. I have it an I leave it switched off. It is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Thanks for the info! I have two questions regarding IAS:
- is this a system that can be toggled on/off? Or is it permanent once you have it?
- if you would buy a new F10/F11 would you include it again? At what priority level (top/mid/low)?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
Mobileum
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
Thanks for the info! I have two questions regarding IAS:
- is this a system that can be toggled on/off? Or is it permanent once you have it?
- if you would buy a new F10/F11 would you include it again? At what priority level (top/mid/low)?
1: No (permanent on)
2: Yes (top/mid)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #10
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

I would ditch the integral active steering. But it's a matter of taste. You really should try it out first to be honest. Some people like it, some dont. Unless you are a complete fool, you don't need the extra maneuverability at small speed. There is no problem maneuvering the car in cramped parking houses etc. What you should try is to see if you like it at high speed, and if you like what it does with how the steering feel and changes. It's all a matter of taste. Try it out!

I would also ditch the lane change warning and get blind spot detection instead.
I don't think the comfort seats are that much better. Depends on what you want. But if you go with sports seats, you really should get the lumbar thingy.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #11
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
I would ditch the integral active steering. But it's a matter of taste. You really should try it out first to be honest. Some people like it, some dont. Unless you are a complete fool, you don't need the extra maneuverability at small speed. There is no problem maneuvering the car in cramped parking houses etc. What you should try is to see if you like it at high speed, and if you like what it does with how the steering feel and changes. It's all a matter of taste. Try it out!

I would also ditch the lane change warning and get blind spot detection instead.
I don't think the comfort seats are that much better. Depends on what you want. But if you go with sports seats, you really should get the lumbar thingy.
Thanks for the incisive comment, LiveLarger. I appreciate it!
I will test it out and make my decision afterwards.
As for the lane change warning system, I think I am using the wrong designation. What I meant was the blind spot detection system. That is the one I have included in the spec, not the LCWS. As a matter of fact, I never thought about having that one.
I will correct the original post in this thread to avoid any confusion.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

But wait... Isn't there a difference between "Lane Change Warning System" and "Lane Departure Warning System", the former being the "blind spot detection"?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

If you order the sport auto box you'll get the sport steering wheel with shift paddles. The shift timings are supposed to be faster, but there's been a great deal of discussion about it without conclusion; however, it's a low cost option and you get a much better looking shift lever.
I absolutely love the comfort seats and find them especially good on long journeys. I've been prone to back problems in other cars, but after 18 months in my 535d, that's fortunately a thing of the past.
You'll love the AD/VDC - it transforms the ride to suit any road conditions.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
If you order the sport auto box you'll get the sport steering wheel with shift paddles. The shift timings are supposed to be faster, but there's been a great deal of discussion about it without conclusion; however, it's a low cost option and you get a much better looking shift lever.
I absolutely love the comfort seats and find them especially good on long journeys. I've been prone to back problems in other cars, but after 18 months in my 535d, that's fortunately a thing of the past.
You'll love the AD/VDC - it transforms the ride to suit any road conditions.
Yes, sports auto transmission has been in since the beginning, as has been the Adaptive Drive package. I was questioning only the utility/advantage of the Integral Active Steering...

As for the comfort seats, I understand that they may be very comfortable but honestly I think I will be fine with the sports seats. If I see that IAS is really worth it after testing, I will ditch the "blind spot detection" and won't add the comfort seats nor lumbar support which I also don't care for.

Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

I would also advice you to try out the adaptive cruise control with stop and go. I wouldn't even consider getting a car without it. It's very nice with the HUD and on the autobahn it's going to be just frigging awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
I would also advice you to try out the adaptive cruise control with stop and go. I wouldn't even consider getting a car without it. It's very nice with the HUD and on the autobahn it's going to be just frigging awesome.
I already tried and tested it and even though it is a great technology, it doesn't fit my driving style. I like to be in full control of the speed setting and I find BMW's standard cruise control with brake function ideal for me. Thanks for pointing that out, anyway!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I want to correct an answer previously given by Mobileum to Rhinosaur's question of whether IAS can be switched off.

IAS can be switched off. You go to iDrive>Settings>Tire Chains>On.

Tire chain mode switches off IAS.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 04-16-2012 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #18
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I want to correct an answer previously given by Rhinosaur to the question of whether IAS can be switched off.

Well, I didn't say it cannot be switched off, I asked whether it could be turned on/off.
But, anyway, thanks for clearing that up!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I didn't say it cannot be switched off, I asked whether it could be turned on/off.
But, anyway, thanks for clearing that up!
Sorry I was correcting Mobileum's response to your question.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #20
DavidNJ
Rep
Drives: '94 Supra Twin Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
I want to correct an answer previously given by Mobileum to Rhinosaur's question of whether IAS can be switched off.

I think that only deactivates the rear wheel steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #21
Sjoerd
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: MY18 G11 750i, MY13 911S x51m7

I think IAS is really good for the car.

Fortunately (and unfortunately) I have driven quite some F10/F11 models. Combined I have driven almost all the engines and could try all the options available. Good because now I know what I do want and also what I don't want on my next F10 535d.

Coming from a pretty well spec-ed F10 535i M/6 my 2 eye-openers were the IAS and the comfort seats. IAS makes the car a lot smaller to drive but more important the steering is much much better. Comfort seats are amongst the best car seats available. BMW sport seats are very good but the comfort seats are worth the extra cash.

I am actually now confirming my F10 535d Executive (LCI).

Imperial Blue/Amarobrown Individual
M Sport
IAS
Electric bootlid/soft close doors
Surround View
Sunroof
Alcantara headliner
B&O sound
LED headlights

amongst others.

In Holland the F10/F11 can be ordered as business line, executive and high executive. I don't take the high executive as it comes standard with the multifunctional dashboard which I really don't like.

Some comments below in red. I would ditch a few in favour for IAS and comfort seats

Quote:
535d (313 hp) Touring
Sport Automatic Transmission

M Sports Package with:
..Sophisto Grey II
..Black Dakota leather electrical Sports Seats w/ heating and memory
..Aluminium Hexagon Interior Trim
..Black Anthracite Headlining
..18" 350M alloy wheels
..Exterior Trim, High Gloss Shadow Line

Comfort Package, including:
..Ambient lighting
..Powered bootlid
..Climate comfort windscreen
..Comfort access
..Soft-close doors

Innovation Package (I would ditch this, but order the adaptive lights (or LED) as the head-up is useless during the day and the black panel is a joke.)
..Adaptive xenon headlights
..Head-up Display
..Black panel display, full
..Speed limit display

Adaptive Drive (including Dynamic Drive and Variable Damper Control) (My set-up preference is standard M-sport suspension with IAS. Unless you want to drive more comfortable. The comfort makes a change, sport settings in adaptive drive and m-sport suspension are similar)
High-beam assistant
BMW Individual Sun protection glass
Extended luggage features
Surround View Package
Panoramic glass sunroof
Roof rails, high-gloss Shadow Line

Apps, BMW Assist, BMW Online, Internet
USB Audio, Music for smartphones
Bluetooth phone prep + telematics
Professional Navigation System
HiFi Professional Sound System

Active Protection for Passengers
Interior/Exterior Folding Mirrors, auto-dimming
Tyre Pressure Monitoring
Blind Spot Warning System
      06-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Thanks for digging this up, I guess there might be some people out there who need some perspective on the several options we can choose from.
Concerning your comments on red, my car is already 9 months old—I did some changes to the spec, so the one in this thread is slightly outdated—and I can tell you that I positively LOVE the HUD and the MFID. I honestly don't understand how you say that it is useless during the day since this generation of HUD is awesome: great resolution, full colored and reactive to different brightness requirements (e.g., when you are driving in a bright day and enter a tunnel, and then come out...).
In addition, I also have no regrets that I added the Adaptive Drive. It's amazing how quickly the car changes to the setting you choose and how effective the different driving experiences are.
And I do agree with you that these comfort seats are amazing!

Appreciate 0