2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK New F11 or New X3

04-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 520d M Sport

New F11 or New X3

Considering changing my 2014 520d Luxury touring as conscious of depreciation and don't want to lose too much. Is it worth part ex now and getting a new F11 or stick with what I have. Are 5 series holding their values?

Considering part ex for a new X3 as they are holding their value very well but there is a 22 week waiting time.

I must add that I'm not tied in financially as I bought cash and will be doing the same again.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Markee
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Carbon Black

This may or may not help you, but I was originally looking at an X3 but discounted it due to the long lead times (apparently, X3s and X5s are made on a U.S. production line, with UK models made only for a few hours on a Tuesday morning, hence the long lead time).

Anyway, my point is, I decided to go for an F11 and when it was delivered the sales guy (corporate / business sales), said "you so made the right choice going for this, the 5 series is much better built than the X3".

Like I say, this may or may not help you, but the sales guy felt very strongly that the 5 series was a better quality car than the X3.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I had the opposite conversation with my dealership who could sing the praises of the X3 enough. I must admit the long lead time is putting me off as my current car will depreciate further whilst waiting.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Don't understand your logic regarding depreciation, you loose the most when you drive it out of the showroom i.e. the 20% VAT...
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Don't understand your logic regarding depreciation, you loose the most when you drive it out of the showroom i.e. the 20% VAT...
I agree with Beast, you have done the bulk of your first couple of years depreciation...you should really have thought about this prior to buying new and selling within a year surely? Hold now, if you buy new again, you lose another straight 20% plus again...

I have heard similar that the X3 is nowhere near the quality of the 5 series, and too much scratchy plastic when I sat in one in the dealership, so it was a no from me.
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #6
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Different cars, different use... wouldn't swap only for depreciation issues.

On a finish level, the 5 is definitely more sophisticated and uses better materials than the X3.

Would not comment on build quality though, as both cars are built very well, it is the build materials that are better in the 5 compared to the X3.
      04-05-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu
Different cars, different use... wouldn't swap only for depreciation issues.

On a finish level, the 5 is definitely more sophisticated and uses better materials than the X3.

Would not comment on build quality though, as both cars are built very well, it is the build materials that are better in the 5 compared to the X3.
It's the X drive that I'm after and can't really afford to splash out on an X5 hence opting for the X3. If only they would bring the X drive 5 series to the UK as already used in mainland Europe, then it would quite possibly be the perfect car.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #8
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Agree, I meant the material qualities in the cabin, rather than the build quality, which I am sure is as perfect as the 5 series
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 03:02 AM   #9
oop north
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Subaru Outback 3.0R

Though I have been considering an F10/11 for many months, I still haven't driven one. But I have driven an X3 and the ride (non-adaptive) was awful on a sport with 19 inch wheels

Re the VAT loss on driving away (1) it's 16.7% not 20% (20/120 x 100%) but way more importantly (2) it's nonsense: vehicles that are VATable also lose money as they are driven off the forecourt. Cars might lose 15%-20% immediately you take delivery but it is nothing (or almost nothing) to do with VAT - it's supply and demand.

If that were the case, any car sold in a country with very high duty (e.g. Norway) would have nearly new cars priced very cheaply. But they don't

If that were the case, very in demand cars would all lose 16.7% as soon as delivered - but they don't with some actually being worth more - because of supply and demand

The depreciation curve is very much worse in the early years - but if someone is worried about losing a lot from their car (in the sense that they will have to find a bigger lump of cash to buy the next one than they feel comfortable with)

(a) you are probably deluding yourself as changing cars quickly is usually (and some people say they manage it cheaply, though man maths may be in evidence there) the most expensive way as part of what you are paying for is dealer profit margin - change your car more often and more dealers are making a profit out of you and thus it's costing you more over the long run

(b) just shove some money in a savings account to save up for the bigger jump to get the next one
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 03:06 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc View Post
It's the X drive that I'm after and can't really afford to splash out on an X5 hence opting for the X3. If only they would bring the X drive 5 series to the UK as already used in mainland Europe, then it would quite possibly be the perfect car.
My question is, do you 'need' xDrive and want the higher ride, or the saloon car ride, refinements and comforts?

Personally I wouldn't want an xDrive saloon/touring even up here in the Highlands, winter tyres do more than xDrive could for the car, without the compromises most of the year.

On the best trading time, I agree with the other posted who have already commented. Other than exceptional cases, the first year is the worst, then depreciation levels out. Can't see the reasoning for wanting to change so soon, unless you are just after a change of vehicle. If you want to reduce the depreciation hit, keep the car longer and amortise the depreciation over more years, that is the normal thinking.

If you are after the X3 anyway, go ahead when you are ready and when you can get a good deal, whatever the lead time.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:00 AM   #11
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all your comments. I shall have to sit down and see how the figures add or don't add up before I make a final decision.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:02 AM   #12
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
My question is, do you 'need' xDrive and want the higher ride, or the saloon car ride, refinements and comforts?

Personally I wouldn't want an xDrive saloon/touring even up here in the Highlands, winter tyres do more than xDrive could for the car, without the compromises most of the year.

On the best trading time, I agree with the other posted who have already commented. Other than exceptional cases, the first year is the worst, then depreciation levels out. Can't see the reasoning for wanting to change so soon, unless you are just after a change of vehicle. If you want to reduce the depreciation hit, keep the car longer and amortise the depreciation over more years, that is the normal thinking.

If you are after the X3 anyway, go ahead when you are ready and when you can get a good deal, whatever the lead time.

HighlandPete
I do have winter tyre set up for the ski season as I travel to Austria quite a few times.....yes they are extremely effective in what they do, but I also believe that the x drive and winter tyres combined would be even better.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:16 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I do have winter tyre set up for the ski season as I travel to Austria quite a few times.....yes they are extremely effective in what they do, but I also believe that the x drive and winter tyres combined would be even better.
Agree, xDrive and winter tyres are even better.

My thinking is many xDrive/AWD users still run summer tyres in all weathers and therefore don't have the best setup, just a perception that xDrive/AWD is giving them more security.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2015, 04:17 AM   #14
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Isn't a used X5 in budget, they have been out a while now so should be able to find one with the specification your after...

Personally don't like the look of the X3
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 04:39 AM   #15
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Its coming next year... the new 5 series will come in X-drive format to the UK as well.
      04-06-2015, 05:17 AM   #16
E60MKF
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 MY2013

Last weekend i was told by my dealership that the 4 cylinder X3 had a 36 week lead time but the 6 cylinder was a normal lead time. As for quality, a friend of mine moved from the 5 series to the X3 and he can't wait to be back in the 5 as the quality of the cabin is far better. He is just waiting for an X-Drive 5 Series.
BMW F30 MY2014 2014-2015
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2015, 06:16 AM   #17
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu
Quote:
Its coming next year... the new 5 series will come in X-drive format to the UK as well.
Is that confirmed that x drive will be available as I've not seen anything? I was under the impression that the new 5 series it was due in 2017 as BMW work on a 7 year life cycle per model with the LCI at the mid point.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:52 AM   #18
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Is that confirmed that x drive will be available as I've not seen anything? I was under the impression that the new 5 series it was due in 2017 as BMW work on a 7 year life cycle per model with the LCI at the mid point.
I certainly hope it is. I considered an X3 and X5 before my 535d Touring and found that the ride is so much better in the 5 combined with its ability to press on if the need arrises it was the way to go. In the past I similarly found an Audi A6 I owned more comfortable (including comments from passengers) over a Q7 I had for a while.

If the new 2016 5 Series is available as a 535d X Drive it will be an instant purchase. Applying the full power available from this engine in anything other dry conditions more often than not results in the ESP killing the power developed until sufficient speed if gained that there is no longer wheel spin. Clearly a good driver should be able to drive round that, I'm clearly not a good driver
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 03:44 AM   #19
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The new 5 series (launching in 2016) will be built on a new platform. The current F10 platform does not support x-drive in LHD cars.
As far as I am aware, the new build will support x-drive in both LHD and RHD cars.
Information from the dealer as well as my own contact in BMW Munich.

Caveat: The platform supports x-drive in both LHD and RHD, what models BMW chooses to being in which engine sizes is the purview of the BMW commercial department.

Your estimation of 7 year lifecycle is generally correct and the LCI was released in 2013.

The new 5 should be launched in 2016 and be available around 2016 end.

Last edited by gspannu; 04-09-2015 at 03:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2015, 06:10 AM   #20
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

If you looking for space and practicality the X3 cabin is by far bigger than the F10 & F11! we use our X3 for all our family trips 3 kids in the back the rear leg room is nearly triple of the f11 and the back seats are on the flat side hence with kids car seats far more practical! The F11 back seat is a complete disaster for kids, my 10 and 7 year old use to put their seat belt on with no issue with my previous E60, no longer possible with the F10 with booster or kids car seat! On the drivability I must admit the car is not bad for an SUV far better than the X5 feels lighter and agile, but of course nowhere near the 5 series.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #21
Lee
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 50i/'01 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Agree, xDrive and winter tyres are even better.

My thinking is many xDrive/AWD users still run summer tyres in all weathers and therefore don't have the best setup, just a perception that xDrive/AWD is giving them more security.

HighlandPete
I have winters on one set of wheels and the all-seasons which came with the car on another. I am very impressed and confident with the winters coupled with x-drive. When my all-seasons wear out, I'll go with pure summers.
Appreciate 1