2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 Irritants

02-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #45
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
How about the fact that the car no longer drives like a BMW and instead rides, handles and steers like my grandfather's old Buick. Honestly, the car is a very boring drive. Quite the disappointment.
Agree. Maybe not as bad as an old Buick, but no better than a new Buick.

It's a luxury car now. I'll never buy another one after this one.
      02-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #46
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver
How about the fact that the car no longer drives like a BMW and instead rides, handles and steers like my grandfather's old Buick. Honestly, the car is a very boring drive. Quite the disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillInDenver View Post
Agree. Maybe not as bad as an old Buick, but no better than a new Buick.

It's a luxury car now. I'll never buy another one after this one.
I think you guys are exaggerating. I get that you don't like F10 and won't buy another one, but I'd like to hear your opinion on which car in this class is more exciting to drive ?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 04:05 AM   #47
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
I think you guys are exaggerating. I get that you don't like F10 and won't buy another one, but I'd like to hear your opinion on which car in this class is more exciting to drive ?
I wonder this as well, I'm perfectly happy with my F11 wagon with Adaptive Drive, compares well to my E39 wagon on M-Tech suspension. In fact I like the F11 even better, as I have suspension modes to suit the roads and my driving mood.

What we have to remember, we are driving a small 7-series these days, not a bigger 3-series.

3-series users complain the same, as they are now in a more mature and larger car as well.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 04:16 AM   #48
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I guess what you have come from previously may influence your thoughts on this as well

I have had many M Sport BMW's and have lived through some rock hard suspension set up for the looks and better handling, but often when tired and cruising home thought whether I should go for something more forgiving next time around. However when it came to it I could not bring myself to buy anything else but M sport....

I came into the F10 from an E70 and from my perspective this car feels great, many similarities with the X5 but a lot better to drive, better tech, better interior and surprisingly the ride is not as harsh either so I quite like the set up.

I notice that many of the most critical people posting have come from the previous generation 5, so it appears it has lost some of the nimbleness of that and previous 5's.

However for me this is not an issues as I do not have a basis for direct comparison...
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 04:58 AM   #49
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I guess what you have come from previously may influence your thoughts on this as well...
I'm sure it does, I moved from an E91 330d to my F11, so very aware I've moved to a much larger and better car.

I wanted to change from the E39 to an E60/1, but just didn't like the way it was not a settled car on UK roads. I was very disappointed with the ride qualities in demo cars I tried. An E61 M-sport 535d was so hard and just bounced about on my typical roads, I gave it a miss, hence getting into an E91 as a compromise. I had an LCI E61 535d to use for a week on local roads, a much improved chassis over the original model. Almost made the decision to buy into it, but as I'd modified my E91 suspension and wheels to get a decent ride and handling balance, decided to wait for the next model.

Getting into the F11 with the right wheels and suspension took me straight back to E39 similarities, a car I rated as at the top of the game, for a blend of excelling qualities. For me, the F11 is the natural progression from the E39, so similar to drive, just more advanced and better technology. Only negative, it has grown in size each generation, but that is a common issue across the car industry.

Personally can't think of a better car to be driving around in at present. If the 3-series matched its ability mix, in the smaller body, that would be attractive, but the 3-series is just not in the same league, IMO.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 08:58 AM   #50
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Considering only "more exciting to drive" and not considering other important factors like design, interior, and long term reliability - for what I look for in an AWD car in particular, the Audi A6 is more exciting to drive. I haven't driven the CTS, but many, many people say that it is also. A Panamera is quite a bit heavier and they feel totally more buttoned down - different car class though.

And, though it's not lost on me that you asked for comparisons to other current cars in the same class, I'll point out anyway that the E60 and E39 both were hoots to drive. The F10 feels better built than either, but with a dose of yawn tossed into the recipe.

The A6 interestingly is only drams lighter than the F10, so it's not just about weight - the F10 simply isn't carrying its weight well. Its front end bobs unacceptably on easy undulations at low speeds and the turn-in is really strange; for a brief moment the car seems not to want to play, resists a little, then finally gives in and follows the steering. Yes, I do have DHP.

My criticism is limited to the xDrive F10; I have not driven a RWD version. I have driven both RWD and xDrive F3X cars, and the RWD cars do feel much more like I expect a BMW to feel. Maybe the F10 is the same.

I'm not really kidding about the comparison to a new Buick though. The Regal in particular, which is admittedly a slightly smaller car, is just as much fun to drive as an F10 5 series. In my opinion. This says as much about Buick as it does about BMW, though.
      02-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #51
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillInDenver View Post
And, though it's not lost on me that you asked for comparisons to other current cars in the same class, I'll point out anyway that the E60 and E39 both were hoots to drive. The F10 feels better built than either, but with a dose of yawn tossed into the recipe.

The A6 interestingly is only drams lighter than the F10, so it's not just about weight - the F10 simply isn't carrying its weight well.
Excellent/reasonable response, thank you.
And I'm not arguing that previous 5 was perhaps more sporty/better suited to your taste, but ... Buick ?? That said, I have not driven one recently, so maybe, just maybe. But based on everything I read and have personally tried, this car is still a benchmark in it's class (not Buick).

I personally feel that A6 or current f10 are a "coin toss", very close and a matter of personal preference in fit and finish and handling. Neither as nimble as 3 series or A4 of course. I just couldn't find anything else that I liked as much as these two, and have tried several others while keeping an open mind since I have/had no loyalty to any of these brands.

F10 just struck me as "most complete" car that, granted, isn't as nimble as smaller and lighter cars, but it's still a (large) sport sedan at heart.

What it does exceptionally well is doing everything with "no drama". It will accelerate fast, but you just don't quite feel you're at the speed you are unless you look down at speedometer (or cars in your rear view mirror) . It'll corner exceptionally well at high speeds again with "no drama". Half way though the corner you get surprised when you look at the speed you're able to take it. With RWD/DHP in sport or sport+ mode in my case it'll handle windy roads exceptionally well for 2 ton car. To find it's handling limits you have to be going stupid fast (and this I'm guessing might be it's downfall for people who like to "toss their cars" and have that rapid acceleration feel that smaller cars offer). The other thing I like is how well it signals any potential loss of control, and now nicely it allows you to correct the car (recently discovered driving RWD in lots of snow covered roads). It communicates the road feel to the driver great without suspension being too harsh.

So, maybe older one is more fun, but we disagree on this one not being fun at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #52
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Excellent/reasonable response, thank you.
And I'm not arguing that previous 5 was perhaps more sporty/better suited to your taste, but ... Buick ?? That said, I have not driven one recently, so maybe, just maybe.
GM is being a little sneaky here - the current Buick Regal is really an Opel Insignia and is designed and built in Germany. It's a front wheel drive platform, but is actually a very engaging car considering that it can be had well-equipped in the mid-30s.
      02-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #53
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I've had 3 e39's and 4 E60's, not to mention an M3, an X5, and a 328 vert.

The 5 series used to be a perfect drive. It never felt floaty, it never seemed over weight, it had sublime steering, and it just instilled confidence when you were behind the wheel. It was THE perfect balance... a perfect handling car if you ordered the sport, or more recently the M-sport package.

The new 5 is nothing like the old car. It does not make the driver feel confident. It IS floaty, it doesn't encourage you to press harder... it cautions you to back off. Turn in is horrible, and I have the DHP... set to sport PLUS. It is hard to put your finger on, but the car isnt anything like it used to be, and that is NOT a good thing.

Is it solid, quiet, and vault like? Yep! Does it make me want to take the long way home because it is fun to drive? Nope. In fact, the next time around I'm going to go drive a bunch of cars I never even considered buying because right now I'm not at all thrilled with my new BMW. They have definitely lost there way.

Now as you know, I have a major engine issue with my current 535d and BMW is replacing it with a 535i. In an effort to sort some of the poor handling issues I have gone to the 535i and dropped the X-drive. hopefully that along with getting some lighter wheels and tires will help right the wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #54
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver
I've had 3 e39's and 4 E60's, not to mention an M3, an X5, and a 328 vert.

The 5 series used to be a perfect drive. It never felt floaty, it never seemed over weight, it had sublime steering, and it just instilled confidence when you were behind the wheel. It was THE perfect balance... a perfect handling car if you ordered the sport, or more recently the M-sport package.

The new 5 is nothing like the old car. It does not make the driver feel confident. It IS floaty, it doesn't encourage you to press harder... it cautions you to back off. Turn in is horrible, and I have the DHP... set to sport PLUS. It is hard to put your finger on, but the car isnt anything like it used to be, and that is NOT a good thing.

Is it solid, quiet, and vault like? Yep! Does it make me want to take the long way home because it is fun to drive? Nope. In fact, the next time around I'm going to go drive a bunch of cars I never even considered buying because right now I'm not at all thrilled with my new BMW. They have definitely lost there way.

Now as you know, I have a major engine issue with my current 535d and BMW is replacing it with a 535i. In an effort to sort some of the poor handling issues I have gone to the 535i and dropped the X-drive. hopefully that along with getting some lighter wheels and tires will help right the wrong.
Very well said, and I agree up until "BMW has lost its way." You'll find plenty of enthusiasm for the F10 on these forums, much of it coming from people who did not drive BMWs before. This suggests BMW has actually done the right thing with the F10 - for every one of us the car disappoints, there might be 3 who convert from Mercedes. For example.

I am bummed by the F10's extremely docile nature and so, generally, is the motoring press. But BMW is selling a buttload of them anyway.
      02-10-2015, 06:27 PM   #55
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Funny. A good college buddy of mine is an executive at Pepsico. He has been in a steady diet of 5's for as long as I can remember. We were out to dinner before Christmas and he was telling me how much he hated his new F10... didn't have any problems with it but said the car seemed like he was in another brand. "If you took the badging off I would swear I was in another brand".... and that is NOT a good thing.

Fast forward two months. He called last week and said he gave the car back to bmw telling them he wasn't going to drive a car for 3 years that he hated. Now he's driving a 2015 Jaguar XJ that he says is a fabulous handling car. Definitely not the kind of customer you want to push to another brand.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #56
Alcenos
Field Marshal 🔱
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition (F90)

Garage List
My only irritant are the chrome side markers on the LCI where the turn signals used to be. I will eventually take them out and paint them, but they are just so uninteresting and cheap looking.

The M sport steering wheel is a must (I went for the option).
2002 E46 325i - Space Grey (retired)
1999 E46 328i - Orient Blue (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #57
mpress
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 gt 550

hey newm3, can you find out from you rfriend at pepsico when they will reopen the grounds to visitors to walk around again… it was my dogs favorite spot for a long weekend walk.. been closed for what seems like an eternity…unfortunately we lost that dog and i want to spread his ashes there and introduce our new dog to pepsico…no one seems to know when it is supposed to reopen
ty
mp
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 06:27 AM   #58
kinerin
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xdrive sedan

F10 Irritants

2014 f10 purchased new 06/14:

No squeaks, rattles, no problems with RFT's. To date car has been problem-free.

Irritant: Location of the heated steering wheel switch. One would think that with all the German engineering prowness they could put it in a location where it could be seen.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #59
k1200gt
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520D sport

1. The way that rain water just pours into the boot on the sides when the bootlid is opened. Guess that is what that deep storage bin is for. (fish tank)
2. Having to press the Start button twice to turn off the radio when parking up.
3. Not having comfort access as standard.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #60
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200gt View Post
1. The way that rain water just pours into the boot on the sides when the bootlid is opened. Guess that is what that deep storage bin is for. (fish tank)
2. Having to press the Start button twice to turn off the radio when parking up.
The radio will turn off when you lock the car if you only push the start/stop button once.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #61
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Windshield washer fluid goes out very fast.

The most annoying thing about this car that piss me off every day is the damn cup holder. It's an over engineered POS that can't get its primary function properly. The key fob holder needs to be a little deeper too.

Otherwise, a great luxury sedan with enough sportiness so you don't feel dead in your 50s.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 05:48 PM   #62
Dante269
Hard to be Humble
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60-545 & F10-550

honestly if i wanted something sportier, I would have opted for a CTS-V sedan. I came out of an E60 and while I still love the car, the F10 is much more refined. Yeah it's a little more laid back and not as aggressive, I actually dig it. Needed to slow down anyway.
      02-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #63
Dante269
Hard to be Humble
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60-545 & F10-550

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpress View Post
hey newm3, can you find out from you rfriend at pepsico when they will reopen the grounds to visitors to walk around again… it was my dogs favorite spot for a long weekend walk.. been closed for what seems like an eternity…unfortunately we lost that dog and i want to spread his ashes there and introduce our new dog to pepsico…no one seems to know when it is supposed to reopen
ty
mp
very odd request on a BMW forum
      02-22-2015, 07:36 AM   #64
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200gt View Post
So THATS how to turn off the blasted radio! You learn something every day.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #65
yogi
Ninjapotamus
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 & E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
i have an annoyance. My last car was an audi and whenever I put it in reverse the reverse lights would be so bright that i could see everything in the reverse camera very clearly as tho there were headlights on the rear of the car. In comparison, when i put my f10 in reverse and look at the reverse camera I have a hard time seeing anything, i feel like the reverse lights are just not bright enough.
pro tip: switch your headlights to off when reversing at night. the whole screen becomes much more clear...
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2015, 11:17 AM   #66
naamanf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 550i '10 MDX '79 TA OH-58D

Sun visors are crap.

335d M-Sport/Everything + Individual, 550i M-Sport ED APR 2014
Appreciate 0